The morgan block

I got some good rigging on a maple on Saturday and used it for two tops on a big cedar today.

Got some video on my gf Miriam's phone on Saturday. Worked great.

Today, the first top, which was smaller, was a hair light on friction on low friction mode, for thin atlas nitrile gloves, the second a bit grabby in high friction mode. Figuring out the load for different settings and rope tail weights. 20210301_162148.jpg 20210227_145439.jpg

I swung this in, balanced-ish, from around 35-45* from vertical. Probably a bit bigger than I might have done a second time around.

I had a trunk wrap, next to me, to add to the high friction setting. Last rig of the day, after my ground help left.

Smooth.

Kinda wore through some glove latex earlier, on the lower friction setting, with negative rigging, no addition friction.

Miriam lowered a handful. Handled well.

I would consider a block or rings for the high rigging point, and move the MB with me, allowing me to change friction settings.

20210311_181926.jpg

20210311_181940.jpg

20210311_181916.jpg

I'm pointing to where I released the butt. The large twisted squirrel rope gives a sense of distance. The rope normally runs from the tree to cedar stub in the yard.

Easy catch.

When the rope legs are parallel, it is easiest to pretension.

When spread, it's harder.
Miriam caught some from the far side, to prevent the brake side from getting caught by the piece swinging toward the rigging point, making some harder to snug up.

I'm going to try taking the MB with me with, away from the rigging point, and see what I can do with a pulley biner and hitch cord to pretension with a 3:1, strands parallel.

The swivel was great to deal with twists!

I used a very fuzzed up old climbing rope now serving as a light rigging rope. Not enough friction. I'll take out a new hank of rope next time. Anyone getting better friction with a specific rope?

What I've realized that I need to do more often is tie to the piece midline rather than at the end, leaving a tag line, or attach a tag line, big for pulling a too-light piece down, and for help for the ground worker to land a long, bushy piece.

Problem, this tag line part gets very often tangled when the limb is cut free and can even not reach the ground.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’ll sometimes jus tie a second tag line to the pieces if I need to pull them like that. Even if the piece spins the end of the tag line is still on the ground.

Loaded tools this morning to go disassemble a maple over a friend’s shop. Prime time for the MB. First needed to dig out old compost bins across the street and top dress the raised beds so Karen could start planting. Lifted the second wheelbarrow load to roll it over and back spasmed. Grr - Didn’t let it heal long enough I guess, so I might not get to that tree today Moist heat applied.
07FAFCA3-5308-49D8-889A-40461E8E855D.jpeg

Yes, back pain does suck; renters just called to say there’s a ‘significant’ leak under the kitchen sink. Life always adds those little extra kicks when you’re already down 🤣

Plumbing repair went well- back in business just in time for the rain and then sleet to start. No trees today, so I re-purposed a Hobby Climber bag as the new 200 ft Hawkeye / Morgan Block bag. Also cleaned and Duck oiled carabiners and the stable of climbing devices (well, those that needed it).
65A20E69-0CAF-4EE1-862A-946801D29D8E.jpeg
DBDA7612-D19E-4203-AB9F-07AF079754C4.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Loaded tools this morning to go disassemble a maple over a friend’s shop. Prime time for the MB. First needed to dig out old compost bins across the street and top dress the raised beds so Karen could start planting. Lifted the second wheelbarrow load to roll it over and back spasmed. Grr - Didn’t let it heal long enough I guess, so I might not get to that tree today Moist heat applied.
View attachment 109231
I messed up my back yesterday! I feel your pain. Sucks. All I did was twist wrong pulling out a hanger and bam, back spasm

Back to it - pun intended! Back has been tenuous but working well; two days in the shop making cope and stick, raised panel doors for a customer.
Tomorrow layout another friend's first shop - he pulled his electrical permit, so i'll go help him with layout, shopping list, and plan to get all his outlets and lighting in the right place and installed to code.

Who's next?

Didn't mean to Bogart.
I used it the other day, and will still hold onto it until i hear otherwise, but I'm on Staycation for the next two weeks, and my waiting projects are not rigging- intensive.

3 weeks of work, then another 3 week Staycation/ Vacation with the kid, before back to FT work, indefinitely.

Back