Spur Climb - Second Lanyard?

That's like a dream.
I'm on the slow side too. I almost never fly to an other limb horizontaly and I'm pretty sure that I would miss the target if I was dumb enough to add a vertical drop at the same time. And about running on a limb, well ...
Two climblines and my 16.6 feet telescopic pole are my way to go : I drag myself to the next point.

I am NOTHING like the pro in the video...but with a tree and some rope anybody ought to be able to play some. Just experiment a bit. Terrible video quality from back in the day but the idea comes across...

Yesterday I did a new-for-me move, nothing earth-shaking.

I had canopy raised a doug-fir with a high-tie on the edge of a forest, so all the limbs were on one side of the trees.

I came down below the lowest limb, pushed a bit toward the target tree, came back toward my TIP tree, getting a little rotation around the stem with the rope under the lowest branch, which turned my horizontal motion into an upward back-swing, so that I could have gravity-fed speed already going the right direction, before coming plumb under the TIP, and more easily push and reached the adjacent tree, 20' to the side...no just kidding...more like 9-10'.

There is nothing to say that if you miss your target tree, you definitely won't come back head-first and spinning. NO STUBS, and Exercise Due Caution. I missed a similar, bigger swing once, and came back without the grace of a ballet dancer...that for Sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now, does this look like a fun and efficient way to get around a tree?
I could any *one* of those moves with enough time and chances :^D

He makes it look effortless. Good show :^)

Here's a wonderful example of what srt can do for you. Clearly not me, but he is able to climb horizontally, using many redirects, until he runs out of rope. It might be cause I'm in the midwest and do mainly spreading hardwoods but to me, this is what tree climbing is all about, going out to the tips which could be overhanging a structure. I simply cannot picture trying to do something like this on a lanyard only, even with spurs.

I'd like to watch a good climber in person. A lot gets lost in video for me. I think I'd get a better feel for how it all goes together seeing it in person.

I do multiple rope sets as well, but rarely more than two. Every tree is different and you just have to wrap your mind around what is going to work best for you.

If you ever get the chance to attend a regional or national tree climbing competition, and pay attention to the details of how the competitors are doing things, you can learn a ton. My first one...I was humbled, and then inspired, and then got waaaay better in short order. That was near 30 years ago now, but I still reap the benefits.

Of course, even better is to watch and learn from a true pro on the real deal day in and out work. But that can be harder to set up. If you can, that's really the best place to learn.

Yea, I'd rather watch a working climber. That's more aligned with my interests, and I could also checkout saw technique. Getting around a tree is one thing, but getting stuff done adds another level of complexity to the process.

Both approaches have their benefits. Every competitive tree climber, in my experience, came out of a serious background in production tree climbing work. So the stuff they are doing re tree access, are top drawer skills based on real world experience. But for the rigging work especially, and saw work too...that is displayed only in the true working climber skill set; and you are correct...that's where the real deal lessons are to be seen.

I might mention Jerry Beranak's video products as a decent resource, too...:D.

John think of it like this, there's getting to the part of the tree you need to do the work, work positioning when you get there, and finally the execution of the rigging and cutting. I personally find it easier to break up learning into those groups. The problem with most tree videos is that they are shot with a helmet cam, and are often edited to show what is exciting for the average person watching, which of course is the dynamic moment when the saw trips a cut loose and sets everything in motion. Some people actually do shots where they put the camera on a limb so you can watch work positioning, but a good portion don't show the actual climbing around part as much. For that watching the work climb on random competitions can teach you a ton.

Jerry's working climber videos are of course mentioned too, and his book is obviously very useful in this as well. I also personally love the Schultz effect by Lawrence Schultz, he goes into everything from basic ascents to doubled rope to srt and the myriad of redirect tricks you can use, which are a huge game changer. Like everything worthwhile in life, tree climbing is a limitless medium, and one that knowledge can play a huge part in and can remove some of the sheer athleticism from it.

You've never done it, until the first time you've done it.

If I waited around to watch someone else in person, I'd be way behind where I am now (still learning). A large part is to take the idea and climb (run) with it (and say some four-letter words along the way). It can take all day to learn something, as long as you're safe. You might learn a little bit about 10 things, many on a subconscious level.

Nobody has ever complained about too much core-strength or balance.

Nobody has ever complained about too much core-strength or balance.

Worth saying twice, IMO. Develop both to improve your climbing.

I used to read all the Rock and Ice and (rock) Climbing magazines I could get my hands on. There could have just been one short technique article that repeated that again and again. Would have been a boring article. Sometime the most true stuff is boring to say.

Wow.

But look at the clear path his climbline had the whole time!

Back