Unicender on your lanyard

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Anyone do this? I figured it might be worth a try. Right now I have a vt and pinto on my 16’ lanyard. It works. Sometimes not as grabby as I’d like. It’s a fairly long hitch to suck up close to a limb with.

The guy that invented it makes a lanyard adjuster too, the Hipster. Same idea but only two hinged links, and not midline attachable. I borrowed someone’s for a few weeks, was excellent.
I’m sure a Unicender would work. Might be a little hard to release sometimes.

218BE27D-0798-47FB-8450-774FEECC53B9.jpeg

A prusik loop grabs fast also with supple cord. I'm using 8mm Sterling on my lanyard. Doesn't meet spec as far as capacity goes(3,462#), but I absolutely trust it.
Is that the tensile strength of the cord?
Are you using two eyes on the cord?
Might be more.

Yea, that's tensile strength. No eyes. It's a double fisherman that sits over the loops, so for all intents and purposes, the knots aren't in play as far as strength goes. I figure I'm getting greater than tensile since there's two legs, take some off for the tight radius around the biner, and... Pulling a number out of my ass, I'd guess I'm >4k# effective capacity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Burnham, thanks man. I had a distel at some point which was better but, like John said, my hitchcord may need to be something a little more supple.

Interesting Hipster Jonny. Like a short Uni.

Altissimus, is the Gibbs the same as the Buckingham and Climb Right rope grabs?

Is it just me or does a mechanical that drops when something bumps it freak me out on a lanyard? It's one thing when it's your climbing system right in front of your face and another when it's on your hip covered in saw chips, sticks, and bark. Once i lanyard in I'm likely working with a cutting tool soon, so a bit less responsive adjustment is a positive attribute. If your climbing system would slack, you would still have your lanyard to keep you close and limit the fall, but if your lanyard blows you could be doing a pendulum swing holding a saw. Just my wierd thoughts on it

Texex(tec) grabs like a SOB and is cheap to try. 5/16 =8mm or 3/8=10mm should do for what you got cooking.

What I have experienced is that the smaller the the prusik cord compared to the climb lie, but it then better the prusik cord will bite.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does a mechanical that drops when something bumps it freak me out on a lanyard? It's one thing when it's your climbing system right in front of your face and another when it's on your hip covered in saw chips, sticks, and bark. Once i lanyard in I'm likely working with a cutting tool soon, so a bit less responsive adjustment is a positive attribute. If your climbing system would slack, you would still have your lanyard to keep you close and limit the fall, but if your lanyard blows you could be doing a pendulum swing holding a saw. Just my wierd thoughts on it
I got a Zillon with about 3 hours on it. Been collecting dust for a while, for just that reason. Literally got poked just right with like a 1/8” twig and dropped me until the twig couldn’t reach it anymore. That could’ve sucked if I was cutting something.

It’s a fine MRS device though if you’re cool with threading a bunch of rope through the whole thing like a Zigzag.

The zigzag is nice for a lanyard, so easy to adjust and release. But make sure nothing touches it, nothing at all. It got me many times.

For a short hitch on the lanyard, you should try the hitch of the Hitch-hicker. Just 4 wraps, a pulley under it and that's it. That works well like that for the climb line if the use is only Ddrt. Before I went full mechanical, this hitch was my favorite, even without the Hitch-Hicker. I used the Knut a long time but switched when I saw how the HH performed. HH on the main climb line and its knot with a pulleyr on the short climb line.

The Innovation hitch is interesting. Grabs fast. I need to spend more time with it, but so far it works nice.

The hitch hiker knot is basically an autoblock, which is basically a helical hitch. Wraps around the standing rope, no braids, fixed length of cord. I use helical hitches with a slipknot as the attachment point on my lanyards, absolutely love it.

Is that better than any of the other variations people use ?? , or at a certain point is it just personal personal preference ... (signed a HH climber using basic four wrap approach)

That one looks like its inspiration was from the icicle knot.

I personally like friction hitches that the leg of the top wrap goes through a bend or something along those lines to help the top wrap from biting too hard. Like the one in the pic i have been really be liking lately. I have been using on climb line and lanyard. On my lanyard i just use less wraps.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 0
I /may/ have the wrong name, but that's not it. It's 4 wraps up, two tucked wraps down, then into the hitchhiker, or it could go on a biner.

I climbed on an icicle hitch for a long time, still do sometimes, that’s not it. Both ends come out the same side on icicle, unless I was doing it wrong. Not very symmetrical, can’t nicely stick a pulley between the eyes.

I was just saying it looks like it and possibly was inspired by it.

Do you know where i can find instructions on how to tie it? Video? Or Series of pictures?

Back