Unicender on your lanyard

This is the Innovation as if it were tied on the HH. It would have to be terminated opposite the climber if used as a normal hitch.

IMG_20220429_152606.jpg

A variation on the suggestion of the venerable Gibbs would be the Ultracender or Microcender by Petzl. Been a favorite of mine for decades. Ultra for larger diameter lanyards, Micro for smaller.

I know many climbers like the half twist clevis in that application. I don't happen to be one of them...I much prefer the lanyard tail dropping straight down as it exits the Ultracender. One handed for me, too ;). Either way, it's a great lanyard adjuster.

If money is not an obstacle, the ART Positioner is another of my favorite lanyard adjusters. Not for larger diameter or cable core lanyards, but a real sweetheart of an adjuster. Not inexpensive, though.

I primarily climb on a unicender.
I’ve had more than a handful of them.
Uni’s are great device for many reasons.
That said, they don’t tend slack well and would not be a cost effective solution for a lanyard IMO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bigtwig, agreed, cost effective it is not. I have one laying around because I now favor the akimbo for the climb line. I just dislike having a $330 piece of gear reposing in a bucket 😩. But, I can’t sell it or give it away because one day I might need it 🤣.

That ART positioner looks so sweet! Love the fact it can move under load. I hate that fact about my rope grab on my cored flip-line. But, it’s tolerable because adjustment does not need to be made frequently

Albeit That little hipster looks sweet, where can they be found?

This is Morgan Thompson’s inventions. The Hipster is also available as a MRS device with a connection point on top, it’s called the Top Knot. Also for sale there is the Morgan Block that him and Akimbo inventor, Jamie Merritt worked together to create.

How's the uni deal with pitch? The akimbo has been my weapon of choice for a few years but it flat out sucks in sap and we're getting on that time of year here with white pines.

I think you’ll love it man. I did a little temporary trade with Cereal Killer, I didn’t want to give it back. It’s so compact, smooth, and reliable. Releases and tends like a dream, I really can’t speak highly enough about it.

I should put up the Zillon for sale and use the money for a Hipster. Then it’s just swapping one tool for another, instead of stockpiling more gear :) .

Greengreer, you made me remember, the Unicender will be my softwood mechanical. I’m not in too many needle bearers but with everything I’ve heard, the Unicender works great with sap

Good to hear, I ran one once a few years ago but not enough to form an impression. I remember not liking having to wrap the rope to descend on srt, but that wouldn't be a big deal in our pines here.

Also, since I've already derailed this thread...
Gordon who makes the bulldog bone builds a great little lanyard adjuster, the bola. Has an attachment point to use like a mini drt setup and can hold weight on a single line.

Funny- today I tried the akimbo on a sappy rope. Had to collapse the device and bounce to descend. Scary. Kept the tail in hand. I wasn’t very high and was trying to see if I could work through the sap. Decided to throw the Unicender on and give it a go. No problems at all. Worked perfectly.

Anyone do this? I figured it might be worth a try.
Yes, it is my lanyard. The versatility and quick on an off and ability to reverse the direction works for me. Of course I use the Drum Kit to add wear resistance, smoothness and the function of 'soft lock' in the control mode (rope wrapped to squeeze the friction blocks together)
Sure, it adds some bulk but it is another whole system that does many things better than many other devices. Up, down and compact close to spar work for example. It combines the benefit of a compact rope grab and figure 8 into one tool.
The Uni does fall in the class of most fully mechanicsl devices used today that have what I call, big top exposure.
Rock Exotica Unicender with FULLY installed Drum and "L" handle wear plate - https://climbing-innovations.myshopify.com/products/rock-exotica-unicender-with-drum-and-l-bracket-wear-plate-fully-installed

Back