Singing Tree Rope Wrench Review.

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 230
  • Views 31K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, had a bit of a bad incident with the rope wrench SRT climbing rig.

If you use a pantin, BACK IT UP WITH A BINER:(

I had a fall of about 30 feet albeit semi-controlled, because I did not back it up.

I was in a huge red oak and we were deadwooding it.

went up to my TIP as always, pantin and rope wrench, started deadwooding, came down the other side to get a hung up piece.

clipped my lanyard over my shoulder and into the rope wrench rig like normal, then started ascending.

first off, i should have had the lanyard tighter, it was tending the hitch, but low near my waist, not in front of my face.

second, I should have backed the pantin up with a biner since it was a long ascent, 40 feet or so.

as i was ascending, my pantin kicked off and the rig which normally would be at chin level was to low to grab quickly and a free fall backwards started:O

I tried to grab the rope but momentum took over and the quick drop began, the rope was between my legs and thru the crotch of my NYLON tech pants...the sound of burning rubber from my gloves and the smell of burning nylon are still etched in my brain.

I hit the ground pretty hard, but held my head up.

after the initial shock wore off, I tore my gloves off, hands were fine, but my man-parts, well that is a different story:cry:

The rope speeding along the nylon tech pants melted them to my stuff.

a nice line all the way across the boys, the same width as the 11mm rope was etched in there, 2nd degree friction burns.

makes walking a bitch, climbing and running even more of one.

but i learned something out of this and that is what counts.

always back up a pantin for long ascents, always...if it kicks off and the situation does not allow a quick , instant recovery, you could be heading for trouble.

stuff is healing and except for burning up a pair of tech pants and a pair of gloves, all is okay.

i asked arborwear if they would replace the pants, no deal...lol, but they gave me a promo code for 50% off my next order of stuff :)

here are 2 pics of my pants. IMGP9008.jpg IMGP9009.jpg

obviously, this was no fault of the system, just my lack of concern with some basic safety measures, lesson learned ;)

Damn dude, that suxs big time. Very sorry to hear that.

I have a few questions though, if you don't mind. Just trying to figure out what exactly went wrong.

When ascending with just a pantin and a lanyard over your shoulder, do you hand over hand above the wrench, to keep you upright and too help advance the pantin every time by holding your weight with your arms when you left your legs? I've had the Pantin pop out a few times and been saved from any fall with this techinque.

Also, was your hitch tied loosely, or in such a manner that when ascending or tending slack, it can develop a tendency not to grab?

the hitch was in "tending mode", so it was a bit loose, and i always have my hands above the wrench, but the lanyard was too loose and the hitch/wrench was riding too low, just lack of concern on my part, i have ascended tons of times like that, nothing, but you can be sure I'll back it up with a biner until i get up to working level.

Yep, just wanted to clarify and make sure. Definitely going to start backing it up now.

for long ascents, back it up man :), once working the canopy, no need since you might use it for short jaunts only.

The pantin is far too easy to pop off, makes it handy for canopy work, but i will ALWAYS back it up forever and always on long ascents ;)

btw, back it up, meaning put a biner in the pantin so the rope cannot comeout of the pantin without the biner being removed first?

"Easy on and easy off the line" is the feature that makes the pantine a great tool to have in the kit.

Keeping it engaged just takes paying a little attention to how you lift your leg/foot in relation to the dangle of the line.

It is easy to forget though.

Never used it myself Gerry, I like the kick out ability of the pantin. I am just going by what I read here. Seems you have to reach down and manually move the cam off the line. There is probably a safety on it like the Petzl Basic or Croll Ascender. I never had the problem Cary has mentioned, but I also have both my hitch and handled ascender hooked up to me. I am wondering why the rope wrench did not slow him down more like an 8 would.. Should have put more friction on the line as he slid down away from the wrench... Tending cord should have yanked down on that thing and made more friction.

Never used it myself Gerry, I like the kick out ability of the pantin. I am just going by what I read here. Seems you have to reach down and manually move the cam off the line. There is probably a safety on it like the Petzl Basic or Croll Ascender. I never had the problem Cary has mentioned, but I also have both my hitch and handled ascender hooked up to me. I am wondering why the rope wrench did not slow him down more like an 8 would.. Should have put more friction on the line as he slid down away from the wrench... Tending cord should have yanked down on that thing and made more friction.

you would think, but as it says, it is not for life support ;)

Hitch for life support... Wrench for friction... Totally get that... Just wondered where your friction went to it should have provided in my mind. Why it did not engage. Tether position perhaps? Keeping it too straight toward you?

I do rudimentary SRT, probably 4 x per year, I use 3 ascenders (foot, saddle, and hand) and never backed one up before with a biner. I will now, thanks for the heads up.

It did slow the fall, or I might not be writing this ;) and the tether should be facing you, but all in all I got is figured out from now on, and if this eye- opens some other climbers, great!

The hitch was relaxed and couldn't grab.

Heck, I've had that happen on double line more than once in my career. Each time near catastrophic too.

We got to be sharp in this climbing game or we'll die or sure.

Key chain biner on that pantin is about all thats needed, eh Burnam?
Cary, I am wondering if your rope wrench should have a longer tether so that the angle towards you is sharper from above you instead of directly across from you.

Back