Singing Tree Rope Wrench Review.

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 230
  • Views 31K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Key chain biner on that pantin is about all thats needed, eh Burnam?
Cary, I am wondering if your rope wrench should have a longer tether so that the angle towards you is sharper from above you instead of directly across from you.

key chain is too small, it can still come off, it has to be a regular one ;) and the tether is long enough, the 11" that they recommend :) when it is in working position, it is above me.

Depends on the climb line diameter, really. If you are on full 1/2 inch, keychain biner will do it. But even Poison Ivy at 11.7mm can escape with a keychain biner.

I'll tell you, boys...any climbing system that relies on a Pantin to keep you on the rope is BS.

I'm not saying the RW is BS...but sorry to say it Cary, your hitch/rope/RW arrangement is wrong in some basic way.

naw, it was my fault, I did not have the lanyard near tight enough so it was not tending up where it should be. If it had of been at the right level, it would have engaged right away like it always does. nothing is perfect, not SRT not DRT ;)

and am I scared to use it? nope, went right back up after hitting the ground, finished deadwooding and videoed Donald trying the rope wrench while I clipped into his DRT rig, which BTW, felt very slow and awkward ;)

Were you using a handled ascender with foot strap too? I do and still feel like I should have a chest ascender backup. Which I will now.

nope, but technically, on a long ascent, I could/should have, but I have ascended the same way up to 80'+ with no probs.

Cary, I just don't get this...you technically need a backup on a "long" ascent, but not otherwise? What defines a long ascent? You just got you lunch eaten on a 30 foot fall...short enough for you?

My friend, I don't want it to seem I'm busting your chops, but you are not making good sense to this old man.

well B, i think you need to climb the rope wrench for a few weeks, then you will see ;) gotta walk the mile right? we all do , once you are at work height, it is no different then DRT, and you don't back up DRt right?

No, Cary.

I don't need to try a system to know that counting on a Pantin to keep you from falling is rather far outside of accepted practices.

it counts on a series of things to keep you safe, like DRT, but a HUMAN error will change that, be it DRT or SRT.
I consider myself to be a competent, aggressive climber who can out-climb lots of guys half my age ;) but I am 99.99% careful.

it does not count on the pantin at all, right? it was my error.

Scary shit man, glad you just got a writous warming.

Kevin, if you read this why dont you figure out a lock out centifical safety on that sucker. When you get going fast it locks off and save ya nuts, so to speak....

No, Cary.

I don't need to try a system to know that counting on a Pantin to keep you from falling is rather far outside of accepted practices.

what happens if your hitch fails on DRT? just curious ;)

I'm just basing my perspective on your initial post on the incident, Cary...on what you seemed to be saying was the thing to change to keep it from happening again.

I'm not wanting to get crosswise with you on this. I'll just go sit on my stool at the end of the bar again :).

I'm just basing my perspective on your initial post on the incident, Cary...on what you seemed to be saying was the thing to change to keep it from happening again.

I'm not wanting to get crosswise with you on this. I'll just go sit on my stool at the end of the bar again :).

you are right, but backing up the pantin will keep it from coming off , eliminating part of the problem, like i said, it was me, being complacent, but PCtree has a good point.

I'll tell you, boys...any climbing system that relies on a Pantin to keep you on the rope is BS.

I'm not saying the RW is BS...but sorry to say it Cary, your hitch/rope/RW arrangement is wrong in some basic way.

Cary, really glad you are ok. Don't blow off what B says. Let all that adrenaline flush out of your system, and then think about it. You say it is your fault for not backing up the Pantin but there is more to it than that. There is something, as Burnham said, wrong with your set up. Climbing systems need to be able to pass the whistle test. At any point in your climb, if somebody blows a whistle, you should be able to go hands free and not fall.

If you are relying on the Pantin or your hands, especially on a single rope, to pass the whistle test, sooner or later you will fail in a big way. You're a smart guy. Just analyze the missing components to get it working for you.

Dave

well I'm not really okay, my balls are burnt ;) but yeah it is true. and like said before 99.99% of the time, it would pass the whistle test, and hand over handing DRT, and you get some slack? it would not pass the whistle all the time either, yes?

Did you have this part of your set up engaged Cary? The tether to the tether. Or set up similar with your flip line?

attachment.php

Back