Saddle fine tuning/ adjustments

You will get used to having your foot ascender on all the time, and it's convenient if you need to make a short ascent up in the tree to just clip it on the rope, clip your chestie to the SRT device and hike up with the one foot.

I’m always reminded of this childhood friend who rode a little push scooter all over instead of a bicycle, and gave himself this muscular right leg that was obviously more developed and stronger than the left. Looked so weird and when someone teased him about it, he started propelling himself around with the left. Out of fear of that happening from climbing with a solo footie, I got some left foot ascenders too and switch them up sometimes. Knee ascender doesn’t seem to care what foot it’s on anyways.
Probably sounds silly but there you have it.
Also had an assistant principal in high school that had one big arm and one normal arm... I don’t think he was a blacksmith so no idea what that was about 😳

I cut the handle of my Petzl ascender, drilled 2 holes. Attached an adjustable foot loop, and an elastic cord.

I didn't like the stiff bungee holder.

Been good since pre-HAAS days.

That's interesting, Sean, because I feel that incorporating the bungee inside the attaching foot tether was a tremendous improvement in the world of knee ascenders. They have been around for a long time but never really took off mostly, I believe, from the fiddly nature of having an exposed bungee.

You will get used to having your foot ascender on all the time, and it's convenient if you need to make a short ascent up in the tree to just clip it on the rope, clip your chestie to the SRT device and hike up with the one foot.
Do I need a chestie or will the lanyard over shoulder thing work?

Either, or a necklace type loop around the neck. Sounds kinda worrying I know but folks like them. Haven’t tried it myself yet, I like a small chest harness.

I used 'chestie' kind of generically...the thing that is in front of your chest that clips to your SRT device to self tend it.

Might set up a rec climb for the girls on Tuesday. I will have a videographer, probably. I can shoot my setup and performance.

Chesties/ Weaver chest harnesses don't fit me well (wide back, 190# dressed yesterday).

Haven't tried DMc's favorite Petzl (IIRC) chest harness.

Generally, I use a lanyard over the shoulder to hold my HH up, if desired. Sometimes, I let a little slack develop, rather than capture all inches of progress.

One less thing to have to snag. Outweighs any slight discomfort.

My necklace is a length of a soft webbing with a small basic biner. It was just knotted at first, but as I worried about catching something with it and being strangled, I replaced the knot by a plastic quick fastener from a back pack. I saw that they can let go if we pull hard enough on it. Not sure if my neck could actually stand that much force, but it's a bit safer. Plus, I made it a little shorter than the "pass the ears and nose" webbing loop, more convenient to hold the ascenders.

I was tempted at first by the lanyard over the shoulder, that's one less thing to carry in the tree, but the lanyard isn't available if you have some cutting to do during the ascent. Or if you are already using it for work positioning, you miss it to go up on the ascender. The chest roller doesn't appeal me neither, too thick, hard, bulky for my licking.

Last edited:
Back