Regarding Covid

I'm all in on getting the vaccine; had my first dose and in a week will have the booster.

But the second some bureaucrat demands I carry a piece of paper that proves I'm vaccinated before I can do "such and such", I will tell said bureaucrat to find a different sheep to herd.

It's not their business, so far as I'm concerned. Once you make vaccinations mandatory, by one method or another, you have taken free choice away. I don't like that one little bit.

People should have the freedom to make poor choices :).

Day before yesterday (4-2-21) I went to Van Damne State Park and hiked the Fern Canyon trail. A popular trail today. The far east end of Fern Canyon is most remote. Over 5 hours, give or take, I met 10 other hikers on that trail. Beside myself only one other was wearing a mask.

Then on the hike back to the rig I got to thinking if I met a park ranger on the trail I might get cited for not wearing a mask. Way out in a remote stretch of forest where you might meet 1 to 2 people per hour.

Now I'm a law biding citizen, you can take my word, but in the upper reaches of Fern Canyon I dare to cross the line on the technicality of a mere mask to prevent the spread of a virus the size of molecule.

Blasphemy, off with his head, the judge would declare.

edit: but I got the papers!

I sure do not know what the legal rules are there, Jerry...but here, outdoors it has never been required to wear a mask if you can maintain 6 feet separation.

We always carry masks when on trails used by others, but almost never have needed to put them on. It's not difficult in almost all circumstances to get off the trail enough for others to pass with sufficient clearance.

Pretty much like sharing trails with horses...give the beasts a very wide margin...been doing that for 60+ years, so this is not even a little bit more of a challenge ;).

The old bag that runs the continental breakfast the at the hotel we stayed at last week hassled us for not wearing a mask.

I suppose it was her only highlight. She was afterall ….running a continental breakfast at a hotel at 0600 hours.

The other old bag that waited on us at the restaurant that didn't hassle us received a nice tip.

We tip better these days.

Burnam, this is California, another universe. In Ca. State Parks masks are mandatory. If a ranger cites you then the judge decides your fate. Odds are nothing would come of it, if you comply, if you refuse then you're likely to be made the example.

Just go along with it and everything will be rosy. Stupid shit.

Edit: this reply is to Jim, before Jerry posted about California state park rules.

Only if the social distancing is not possible to maintain...here in Oregon. I have no idea what it is elsewhere.

But Jim, I rather doubt it meets your state's protocols that you can, for example, hug anyone you might meet outdoors while not wearing a mask, just because you are outdoors. But I may be wrong in that.

Oh, and a side point...normal westerners do not use the word "youse". That is an eastern, urban approximation of proper language.

:D

Well, just for grins and giggles I just read the latest statement from the Montana governors office on this subject. Which states that Montanans are asked to follow the CDC's recommendations regarding mask wearing and social distancing in all venues.

Just like Oregon. It's not a law, it's what the governor recommends.

Carry on, my Eskimo guerrilla environmentalist civil rights advocate friend :).

Mean while, if you are a store owner/proprietor that does not enforce the governors mask mandate in CA, you are threatened by your local health department and DA and licensing board, you will lose your ability to do business legally in the state. So...
Of course if you want your groceries and other needs.
They are even making the ROW crews wear the damn things out in the middle of no where with their safety guys checking. I JSMH.
Its ok if your homeless and go to the market with out though. No pressure. But by gawd, that regular joe better have one.

Edit, again: replying to Jim, I'm too slow. Stephen posted in between.

Not by any authority. A rowdy liberal nut case might give you the stink eye, or mutter something under their breath...never anything overt in my experience...and even that, only once that I can recall.

Frankly, it's the other side, the peeps that insist it's an infringement on their rights to be asked to wear a mask, or heaven forbid, share the same sidewalk with someone who does wear a mask, that from time to time get in the faces of those that do wear a mask. I've seen that more than a few times, and I don't get out much.

Its both sides B. You have ones that call 911 to press charges and harass those with out. And those so beligerent that it become disruptive and trespassing. Dont kid yourself. Might be more polite where you or I live, but only on the surface where I live. Then there are the cities.

the use of widespread vaxxines will end up causing mutations
No, not at all.
The mutation is an error in the duplication of the initial data. This occurs all the time, statistically at a certain rate, just how the cell's machinery works. Time to time there's a miss, a wrong copy. Very often, actually in most of the cases, this error means the end of the road for a so simple structure like a virus, no longer functional. Once in a while (that comes down to a ridiculous low %), an error can be "life" compatible for the virus ("" because virus aren't living, truly speaking) and a new variant can spread around with this new data.

But the vaccine(s) has no hand at all on this process, contrary to mutagenic substances or radiations.
What does the vaccine is just to show to the immune system which enemy he has to fight. No more no less.
Then, if the immune system sees the enemy coming, it kills it.
But if the new version is significantly different from the "stock" one on the key areas (which the immune system learned to identify), the virus can pass by the guardian unattacked and be multiplied by the target cells.
So, the "stock" virus is killed and its global population tends to reduce. But the new one grows freely and spreads, until it's identified as a new threat by the immune system. That takes time though and meanwhile other people are contaminated. The process is repeated each time at the disadvantage of the stock virus and at the advantage of the new version.
In a widely vaccinated population, the old virus can't do much while the new one has an open field. Temporally though because the natural immunity (or a new vaccine) soon will target the new one and slow/reduce its progression. Until a new new version.

That's the way things work since forever, as for the flue. The vaccine reduces seriously the present wave, but doesn't prevent necessarily the future ones. Nor it makes a new one either.
The big advantage of the natural immunity is that one given virus can be identified by different molecular sites/combination, so a new one can still be possibly recognized. The usual vaccines play this card.
The m-RNA vaccine is very specific with one molecular site. Changes this target and it becomes useless. That's its downside, but I guess it may be faster and easier to produce and I find its principle quite elegant tough.

Before you know it covid will be another episode in history that we all talk about in the past tense. Mark my words, in its place there will be another bogeyman to distract us from the great cosmic good.

Whatever the heck that might be.

edited for the usual mistakes.

Last edited:
Before you know it covid will another episode in history that we all talk about in the past tense. Mark my words, in its place there will be another bogeyman to distract us from the great cosmic good.

Whatever the heck that might be.

Hahahaha!

A fugging pipeline war is coming.

This time they gonna get the Russians involved too.

Good times!

Back