Pants

Here's a cool pair of cutter's pants for those hot days. Poor French translation, pants made in Quebec,Canada.
http://www.filature.ca/p4.html
The forestry company I logged for supplied us with these companies safety pants. Very high quality and tough. Here in Canada no one did it better then the Quebec French Canadians to supply the forestry industry with expertise.

In summer I wore their lightweight green nylon pants with kevlar pads and they were cooler then demin.
In winter I wore their wool pants with kevlar, some were all wool, some were covered with nylon.

I may give them a call tomorrow about ordering a pair of thes zip off shorts model. My made in Vancouver, B.C. Husky pants are getting a little uncomfortable in this summers steady heat.

I wear jeans, a tee jerzee brand tee shirt, and boots. Plain and simple. No frills, no big expense. Minus my boots. They were pricey. When its ripping hot out, it ripping hot out. Nothing I can do about it. When its 95 and full humidity, and I'm doing tree work, it sucks every which way. I can wear high dollar outfits until the cows come home, but its still 95 and humid, and tree work will make me sweat like a dog.

For those that wear high tech expensive stuff, awesome. If it helps you, its the way to go. For me, its a placebo. No matter what I wear, its still hot as shit out, and tree work is still hard work that makes me sweat. I just drink extra water and wait for fall.

I wear jeans, a tee jerzee brand tee shirt, and boots. Plain and simple. No frills, no big expense. Minus my boots. They were pricey. When its ripping hot out, it ripping hot out. Nothing I can do about it. When its 95 and full humidity, and I'm doing tree work, it sucks every which way. I can wear high dollar outfits until the cows come home, but its still 95 and humid, and tree work will make me sweat like a dog.

For those that wear high tech expensive stuff, awesome. If it helps you, its the way to go. For me, its a placebo. No matter what I wear, its still hot as shit out, and tree work is still hard work that makes me sweat. I just drink extra water and wait for fall.
I sure wish I could say the same Chris and I'm sure alot of other members here would too.
In my part of the world a 2nd warning on not wearing kevlar pants is a $5000 fine.

We can go from 50 below F in winter to 110 above a few months later.
We're looking at about 2 months straight of 90F with lots of humidity. I'm looking towards fall too.

5000 bucks!!!!!!????? Well if that was the case I'd wear anything they told me too. Id probably wear a speedo if that's what it took.

I remember the day in the late 1970s of a safety meeting in our logging camp, where management told us eye protection is now manditory. We already had to wear kevlar pants, hard hats, steel toe boots, safety gloves with kevlar and saws equipped with chainbrakes.

Upon the presentation about hardhat screens or screen glasses one of the most experienced senior fallers speaks up, he was a frenchmen from Quebec. He says "now after we're forced to be deaf with ear muffs, have to fight with a saw getting snagged up with that damn chain brake and now you want us to work blind?!?! "

No one had a answer for him as he stormed out.

Do you guys have to carry a compress bandage when logging, Willard?
That is mandatory here.
If the safety inspectors show up at a logging site that is the first thing they ask to see.

That compress bandage saved my best friend's life when he cut clear through the back of his leg in -88 and had to drag himself ½ mile over to the other strip being worked to get help.
When they got him to the hospital, he was white as a sheet from bleeding out.

Yes we did Stig, I carried my compress pad bandage inside my hardhat, we also had to have a mustard bottle [fire ex] by our gas/oil cans too.

I have read that carrying the compress bandage in the helmet compromises the integrity/effectiveness of the helmet in a "struck by" event.

It is not allowed to be carried that way in some locales...don't ask me where.

I don't, just reporting. It never occurred to me that it could even be a factor...does seem like overthinking. Maybe someone here knows something definitive about it.

It is not allowed here.
If you get hit directly from above, hard enough to bust the fastening points of the suspension , your need all the space you can get before the shell hits you. Your spine will be compressed badly enough even without adding a compress bandage.
I've have some unfortunate exsperience in that.
And Butch, I don't think you would want anything that could get in the way of air circulation in your helmet, with the climate you work in.:lol:

Even if the fastening points don't break, the helmet's shell absorbs the energy by losing its shape and eventually by cracking. So live it all the place allowed to work, or instead, your head and neck would catch the extra bit of energy. I'm sure you don't want to. You will have plenty enough without that.

If you get hit directly from above, hard enough to bust the fastening points of the suspension , your need all the space you can get before the shell hits you. Your spine will be compressed badly enough even without adding a compress bandage.
I'm piuzzled because my supplier has 6 point suspension helmets with a sterofoam lining inside next to the webbing and it has a higher ANSI rating then helmets without the sterofoam.

a soft blood stopper pouch isnt going to hurt anything in your helmet.

Physics be damned if something hits you in the head hard enough to collapse your hard hat/helemt you will be glad you have the bloodstopper pack and it will already be in the right place.

I carry one of these every day, a CEDERROTH BLOOD STOPPER, albeit not in my hard hat.

As far as I understand it, I'll stick to the manufacturers recommendations when wearing a helmet. I have to trust someone at some point to have done their job, so I can do mine safely.

I will never carry anything inside my helmet, a first aid kit is never more than 20 feet away anyway.

Controlled-density styrofoam inside the helmet compresses at a rate that absorbs a bit of the impact. It probably is better than just a shell and harness helmet, thus the higher rating.
Maintaining a styrofoam helmet is problematic, as gas and oil degrade it and one bop on the head and you're supposed to replace the helmet.
Watch the Olympic gymnasts land a double flip on the padded flooring and then consider the impact if they landed on the concrete below or just a thin sheet of ABS plastic without the spring-loaded flooring.

Back