Pants

maggies dad

TreeHouser
Just wondering what your favorite climbing and or general tree work pants are. I m looking to buy some new ones and wonder what the general thoughts were and why. Something cooler sure would be nice, maybe shorts with chainsaw protection8) .

Arborwear tech pants. Wear like iron. Comfortable. Cargo pockets that you can get into while in your saddle. Synthetic, does best when wet, dries faster than cotton.

Cooler, Arborwear canopy pants, light weight and stretchy a bit. Tough shorts and chaps can help a lot in hot weather. Don't know if its OSHA compliant to have shorts and chaps, though, for whatever that's worth to you. If you are the boss, you're exempt, IIRC, provided you don't have W/C on yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was looking at the tech pant, but Im so cheap that it is hard for me to cough up the money. I have some "Firehose pants" from Duluth that are the toughest pants I have ever owned, but alittle warm when its 100 degrees. I hate wearing jeans, and Im not tough enough to wear shorts. I guess I will have to get something soon, Leaning toward the tech pants unless somebody else has some input about something better. Thanks Guys.

The Canopy pants are expensive. I got them on Prodeal through work. I wouldn't have bought them otherwise. The Tech pants are worth $75 bucks to me. They look good as a uniform pant, and as I said, they wear like iron. I am just guessing here that I have gotten 200+ work days out of a pair, and they're still going, still super comfortable. I wore through the knee against the stump grinder fan screen, which spins. It melted actually. I sat on a log and flipped my legs over, snagging a little stub on the butt, tearing a little hole which I sewed up. There are some little knicks in the right pant leg near the bottom from a huge amount of repetitive contact with the dangling climbing saw.

I recently bought a pair of tech pants for my employee. Money well spent. Before he was wearing Carhartts, which I used to wear. No way am I going to buy them again. I would have gone through 6 pairs in that same time.

Butch, are you wearing cotton?

A blend can be good. I don't wear cotton pants if I can avoid it. Synthetic is best for me with our damp climate.

My supervisor at the State didn't want to spend $60 buck on Tech pants for me, so we got a pair of Carhartts, not the "regular" construction type, but rather some lighter weight cargo pocket ones. I tore them by snagging the pocket on something after about 3 weeks.

The gusseted crotch is muy bueno for rope and branch to branch type of climbing comfort.

I buy the Arborwear pants, but use them for daily wear, when not at work.
Then when they start to look a bit worn, I wear then in the trees till they are worn out.

Works out fine.

I figure that you get what you pay for. No free lunch. I don't know if Arborwear is still a small mom and pop shop, so to speak, as the website arborwear.com suggests:

We started as arborists — folks that take care of trees. Back then, there were two types of pants for tree work: canvas work pants or rock climbing pants. Canvas pants were too stiff, never fit very well and restricted our movement. Rock climbing pants on the other hand, allowed free movement, but sure didn't hold up well to tree work… Not to mention they cost an arm and a leg.

Our solution was to marry the two and make a comfortable canvas work pant that you could actually move in. A pant that fit well, held up on the job, and cost less than a case of bar oil. After many prototypes and on-the-job testing, we finally made some things we liked. Truth is, we found other folks liked them too — not just arborists. The features that make our clothes great for tree work are the same for any demanding work environment or lifestyle. We're not about bells and whistles… just the necessities that work.

Making honest, hardworking clothing remains our passion. Each of our innovative, free-moving designs are made using heavy-duty fabrics. We don't test our clothes in some fancy lab…. But personally from the tops of trees to dragging brush on the ground. The result is something you can trust day in and day out. Put yours to the test the same way we do — one leg at a time.

One dollar vote for the little guy!! Screw Wal-mart.

If you can get anywhere close to 200 days of wear from a 75.00 pair of pants Iam in! Not counting the Firehose pants, I proble get 50-75 wears out of a pair of pants. My wife calls me destructive. My thinking is if my equip cant keep up I will get something that can. I really appreciate the input guys. Time to order some pants.:D

tech pants, I wear them everyday. I did find some at a tactical supply place in Dallas for cheap one time, wish I woulda bought all they had. Still looking for the ideal T, underarmour stuff seems to be ok.

I like the tech pants, wore them quite a bit, then I got a pair of canopy pants and fell in love. Love them so much more, they're cooler, just as durable, well worth the money imho. I've easily gotten a year of full time climbing/ground work/general work out of a single pair, if not more. Gonna buy another pair when I get the extra cash.

Those arbor wear products sound good, but I'm with Butch, Dickies rock.

Well, 60/40 blend, khakis, inexpensive, sounds like the dickies I wear.

I usually buy pants from the thrift store for 5 bucks. Right now I have Carharts with out the double knee. They work fine here considering its so dry, humidity right now is 25%. Can't go wrong with a 5 dollar pair of pants.

I grew up cowboying all over Texas, and always wore jeans. I never even thought about something cooler till I had a heat stroke. Now Im thinking about a all nude tree service. I think I will call it Butts Up.

I have 2 pair of tech pants that are 5 years old. I wore and washed the color out of them!!! I dyed one pair lite brown. And left the other pair for my mechanic wear. Yeah 60$ is really not bad at all for the life of the pants. I just retired them from everyday tree wear last year.

Only problem I have with the tech pants is the Velcro coming off of the rear pockets.

I wear Carhartts now. I wore jeans for years and years. I wear the heavier canvas Carhartts in the winter and the lighter ones this time of year. Over a year easily. Another place they shine over jeans, is that I have two pair with a spot where the chain "grabbed" them....saw not running, just climbing over/through brush, both times to get to the trunk to cut it down. A little pick like that will run in jeans something awful. Other than a little fuzzing, they look like the day they were snagged, and it's been months ago on both pair.

Back