Fiskars Tool Quality?

Bucky is pushing on 17 years old, maybe more. Haven't worn through the plastic yet... it's not perfect, but I don't need something sophisticated to do as simple a job as a wedge pounder. I can and have done it with a framing hammer, 2lbs sledge, handy rocks, etc.

Bucky is guilt free. If i decide to throw it to the next tree and miss, and it goes sailing an extra 30 ft, well, no harm but 60 extra feet of walking. If some fool steals it out of the truck, jokes on them, it's no splitter, or camp axe. If, by chance, I leave it in the bush, never to be seen again, so be it, Bucky gave good service for many years, i got my money's worth.

Bucky is fearless, ever ready to leap head first into a hole full of tangled roots, hacking away with nary a care about rocks, shovels, backhoe buckets, she clears the way with out flinching!

Strangely, despite intentional misuse of the axe for some years, I've yet to noticeably damage the blade further than my wife on that one afternoon so long ago... I think she may have hit a concrete form spike, as I found one with suspicious bright spots on it a few days later, laying near her splitting block, and have no idea where such a short form stake would have come from.

Anywho, I'm not carving a statue, I'm making a tree fall down. Also, she's not useless for splitting, she sucks because Bucky is camp axe sized, so she lacks the length and weight to do good work splitting, when compared to larger tools.

I've never had to re-wedge the head, it's never come loose, its a maintenance free tool, my other axes are not. Be it occasional sanding, oiling(or whathaveyou), or snugging up the head, wood hafted tools require some care, both to keep ready for work, and whilst working. Bucky has proven impervious to overstrike, my fancy Swedish splitter, has not, despite having a guard. 20240131_204451.jpg

That's a 190-sum-euro splitter from Gransforce Bruk (or how ever you spell that Swedish axe company's name, stig has corrected me before) or as KV calls it the Grandpa Brook's. Anywho, I'm not sure how to go about repairing that to my satisfaction. Bucky, to reiterate, has proven impervious to overstrike for nearly two decades. It's been run over by truck and tractor.

Its had the entire handle filled with water and frozen solid, something Uncle Dave from Manley Hot Springs, Alaska, warned me about, claiming that to be the cause of death of his favorite Gerber hatchet. It wasn't intentional, I'd left it in a stump in the bush, and when we got back to the cut two weeks later, that's how I found it, handle up, full, frozen. Rather than busting like a pipe, Bucky hung on fine, and a few swings at the stump she'd been in broke the ice loose and I got to work.

Anyway, I'm gonna stop rambling about a favorite tool, and move on with life lolz.

I've been in the Pruning Stik camp since the Nick Arraya days and after about 5 wooden handles got a Fiskars splitter 27" I forget how many years ago now. The magic is in the sharp edge and the teflon coating so IMO you're right in relegating it to hammer duty. Consider treating yourself to a new one. I also have a light duty hand saw that pulls its weight when called upon, resharpened it once with a dremel after customer cut some melamine with it!! Blade is thinner, blessing/curse deal. Rebranded Stihl actually.

Thats the pole pruner I have Andrey, I cut the orange plastic bit off, it got in the way too much, got bent and was a pain. Snip - Gone.

Naughty knotty pine…8lbers stuck in each end IMG_0190.jpeg IMG_0322.jpeg I have a 5lb 36” fiskars splitting axe. Mostly gets stuck in the wood we have here. I beat on something with the poll and the plastic cracked but hasn’t broken. The poll is too small for banging wedges imo. Same with the husky splitting axe I tried. I got an 8lb isocore later. Splits but wears me out. If I was smart I’d break the big blocks with the iso and then switch to the x27. But I tend to stay away from plastic, prefer wood. I have a 5lb splitting axe if I want to get an axe stuck splitting 😆

I'm wondering what professionals think of Fiskars. I've been fairly impressed with the tools of theirs I've used. When I helped Mike with some dogwoods, he brought Fiskars loppers. I look at them, and think "Oh, loppers. Probably be easier just to break them by hand", but they worked really well. They cut easily, and were nice to use. The polesaw I have, and Mike's updated version seem nice, and fairly robust. Maybe not quite pro quality, but put together well, and easy to use(with the caveat that I have a replacement blade from Korea. Mine didn't come with a saw blade).

Is Fiskars worth directing purchases to for prosumer use, or are the typical professional tools worth the added cost, even if they won't be going out every day, and being beaten on by random employees?
I'm not a professional, but I hope my opinion still counts for something because I have A LOT of experience using FIskars tools...

Let's just say that they are the highest end brand name you can buy at a Home Depot or Lowes or for the average home owner looking to landscape their own property.

I've used everything from loppers to pole pruners to pole saws to hand shears to foldable saws, all made by Fiskars. That's what I mostly used to buy when tending to my parent's 3.5 acre property in MA. I've definitely used a ton of crummier tools and that's how I've been able to make my comparisons.

There are definitely better brands if you're looking to buy them, but for the price point you CANNOT go wrong with Fiskars relative to the exceptional quality relative to most everything else for the average consumer. They produce top tier tools that can easily be operated by anyone and which do not lose their edge very easily at all and are so well built that you can expect them to consistently last for many years.

Fiskars have my seal of approval for sure. I think they are great tools for the average consumer looking for he absolute best in their average price range. .

Last edited:
I had a bunch of kids come split firewood for a fundraiser and I wasn’t careful enough about education and oversight…they were Hard on my wooden handles :-(. The 8lb isocore worked the best for a bunch of inexperienced people and took all the abuse dished.

I agree. I don’t necessarily Like them, because I prefer wooden handles but they are Good.
Out of curiosity, what is it about wooden handles you prefer? Is your reasoning practical or sentimental? Zero judgement from me either way. Seems like synthetic handles can take just as much abuse; perhaps with a bit more flex depending on the material used in lieu of wood.

Out of curiosity, what is it about wooden handles you prefer? Is your reasoning practical or sentimental? Zero judgement from me either way. Seems like synthetic handles can take just as much abuse; perhaps with a bit more flex depending on the material used in lieu of wood.
Sentimental. Looks, feels better. I think overall less durable and more maint required.

If I was going to go felling way out and failure was not an option I would carry the husky splitting axe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those yellow composite handles I mentioned seemed to transmit shock and blisters. The fiskars hollow plastic handles seem alright, but I don't have the hours in that I do with wood. Wood just feels nicer. There's no way I'd trade my wood handle work axe for a fiskars handle.

Big, tough, manly, men, worried about their poor fingys!

Are yall a bunch of secret hipsters? Get with the times! What, do you want to go back to climbing on Manila? That's organic, oughta be right up your naturalist alley!

Anybody's wooden handle got 17 maintenance free years on it? I didn't think so. Keep your damn splinters and sanding, I'll keep my careless synthetic.

Also, forgot these were fiskars, ive only used them a few times, but they work really good, lop a 2 inch oak branch right off. 20240202_101142.jpg

Big, tough, manly, men, worried about their poor fingys!

Are yall a bunch of secret hipsters? Get with the times! What, do you want to go back to climbing on Manila? That's organic, oughta be right up your naturalist alley!

Anybody's wooden handle got 17 maintenance free years on it? I didn't think so. Keep your damn splinters and sanding, I'll keep my careless synthetic.

Also, forgot these were fiskars, ive only used them a few times, but they work really good, lop a 2 inch oak branch right off. View attachment 135947
My father's axe that I just recently started using again has the original, and is close to 70 years old. The falling axe I used for well more than 25 years before I retired also has the original handle.

I sanded and oiled my father's axe handle when I got it out again, but before that it never got any love. I never did a dang thing to the handle on my falling axe.

Last edited:
i used to own a fiskars, handle broke off and there i was with a nice teflon coated steel wedge… i prefer tool‘s i can fix myself and altough i could‘ve welded on a piece of pipe…. no more fiskars axe‘s for me. i like their pole-pruner and they make cheap serrated kitchen knife‘s that cut bracing very well.

I believe wood handles on striking tools absorb vibration from the strike better than composites or metal.
Depends a bit. I like wood handles but I've been using this yellow handle for more than twenty years.
No problem with my hands, and they aren't the best.

Bought this green thing off Facebook for $5. Too good a price to pass up.
One hit and vibration down to my toes.
Yellow one split that block no problem.
$28 for a wood handle now, but I'll probably get one just to see the difference.

IMG_20230509_144244.jpg

Back