Pants

IMO the synthetics may work for guys in generally cooler climates, even in their 'hot' season. But in the muggy South they feel like you're wearing a plastic bag. They are sticky and don't breathe well at all compared to cotton. You're going to sweat regardless of what pants you're wearing but cotton still breathes once it's wet. The tech pants' lack of porosity really shows itself when they become drenched with sweat.

I've tried many times wearing synthetics over the years and always go back to cotton. I won't wear a hat, either. Hats block airflow around your head and cook your brain.

Regarding synthetic shirts, I was made a believer this week. I always wear cotton in the summer unless it's raining, then I'd wear synthetic, which seems warmer and better than cotton, in the rain. It never occurred to me to wear them in high heat and humidity, because of the warmth factor they provide in a chilly rain. But working lately in drenched cotton tee shirts, even when it's just humid out but not terribly hot, was getting old and draining (ha) on me. So I tried one of my synthetic tees (Hanes Cool/Dry) and it was like a night and day difference:|::|::|:. Still plenty of sweat but no drenching, sopping wet tee hanging on you all day. WAY more comfortable. Not expensive to buy, either.

Maybe I should try me some synthetic pants.......;)

Cory, I agree, I tried the shirts a few summers ago and they work great for me, here. Good base layer under raingear too

The last time this discussion came up a couple years ago I went out and spent a bunch of money on Under Armour name brand synthetic pants and undershirts. I ended up giving the pants away and the undershirts made me feel like I was cooking in an oven. They seemed to hold in the heat and I couldn't hardly breathe. I use them in the winter and they help hold in the heat and keep me warm.

And as far as denim being good for winter, that's nuts. I remember having the ultra-cool denim jackets as a teen and I looked really fashionable but they sucked at keeping me warm. Cold air went right through them (as does warm air).

I love my knock-off under armor tees. All my cotton tees are now rags.

Denim jackets are perfect for Louisiana "winters."

I had my beloved lined denim jacket ripped off on a train, by the guy sitting behind me. It was in the rack above and I was dozing when he got off at his station.. Oddly, I could play it all out in my mind after, like somehow his movements in my half asleep state informed. The punk got up, put on my jacket, then put his on over it, then walked out. I had worn that through many miles, and a lady friend had replaced the collar. I have another one, but seldom wear it, it doesn't much fit any season here, except briefly. You guys ever see a well worn Levis denim jacket with a beige corduroy collar, give me a holler. By now I expect it has turned to dust.

Back