O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Had to get a shot of it all shiny and new. It's been almost four years without a big saw, I hope I haven't gotten too old to run it.:lol:

20140403_123014.jpg

Ran a couple tanks through the new saw this afternoon. Even with the crap chain on it, I was having fun.:D It was refreshing to sink the bar into the tree and bear down as hard as I wanted and it doesn't really care. The specs say it makes it's power at 9,600 rpms. When you first start to push, it slows down a little, but when it gets to that sweet spot, it's like a diesel engine starting to make boost. It loves it there. I can't wait to get a good square chain on it. I might even convert one of my old ones that is now round back to square. :/:

Chipper chain is basically NG. Why did that stuff come with the saw?

Funny thing about those 394/395s, they tend to stay clean. Air cleaner, clean, carb, clean. Heck even around the sprocket and inside the side cover stays clean, go figure. Brendan should probably invest in one of these, it never needs cleaning:lol:

I used mine with a 28" bar today to flush a 5' stump, the couple inches in center that went uncut was rotten so we got the stump cut out of there. That saw laughs at 5' stumps.

It wasn't chipper chain, but it had a funny ramp on the link just in front of the raker. I didn't look to see if it was Husky or Oregon chain. I know with the Stihl chain it will cut much better. I was worried about slinging that saw all day, but it's so much fun I didn't even notice it was heavier than the 66. Stig would be proud, I didn't run a 36" bar to cut a 40" stump.:lol: I was thinking 576, I'm glad I didn't get one. Maybe next time. Or, another 395 to put the 20" bar on.:/:

A 576 isn't that far from a 395. Imo, a 395 is for all rather big stuff, the 576 will dominate everything else.

So when are they come out with a 595?:/:

I'm going to order a square chisel chain and put an 8 pin sprocket on it.:D

Square chisel (needs triangular files?)?

Thats over thinking it imo, just put on basic round chisel, keep it sharp, and you will be unstoppable.

I always ran square on the 394. It's too much fun not to run it. I use a double-bevel file. Never tried the triangular ones, although I have one or two around somewhere.

It's definitely for clean wood. I can hand file it, but a lot of people have trouble with that. It's really finicky. I'll never forget the first time I tried it. I was blocking up some 18" soft maple firewood. A friend of mine held the log up with a mini excavator and I would dice it up. It would drop through 18" so fast it was like cutting a giant marshmallow.

So I bought the 2.0 AR Drone to try out its camera.
Got a 13" Macbook Air for the secretary (Heather)
And the big silver box is a LaCie 5big, 20TB Thunderbolt hard drive. It's sitting next to my 6TB LaCie 2Big 6TB drive for size comparison. The 5big weighs ~17lbs!

IMG_3960.jpg

I transferred 4.14TB in 3 hours 49 minutes 50 seconds from the 2big to the 5big. That's roughly 300MB/sec or 2400mb/sec for 13,790 seconds... I'm impressed!

Found a new use for a Stihl helmet -- our dive team (search, rescue, recovery) has started using helmets in the water...the Vertex Vent we tried today needs vents on top to let air out...this Stihl works best so far. We will probably have to drill holes in the Petzl and it will do fine. Not for impact protection like in treework but for bumping into stuff when searching underwater and you can't see squat:

Attachments

• IMG_1703a.jpg
    IMG_1703a.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 77
I wonder if the navy dive teams that cleared obstacles in the rivers in Vietnam, if they wore helmets? A friend of mine was in such a unit, later became an oil rig diver back in the states. He said that in those rivers in Nam, often you couldn't see sh@t, like zero visibility, everything might have to be done by feel. Probably quite easy to knock your head.

Yep, that's the deal with underwater searches. You use a fanning search motion on the bottom that immediately silts up so you cannot see anything. Dive team commander almost impaled his head on a piece of rebar as he made a search awhile back. Our last in the field training mission was searching around a military tank bridge that the 2009 floods here washed away...broke it in half and swept it downstream. We practiced searching it as part of a training exercise...helmets protected several noggins that day.

I'll post some picts of that in the "On the water" thread or some such that used to surface once in awhile.

Attachments

• tankbridge_008.jpg
    tankbridge_008.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 77
Back