O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I dont even have to buy one, the company provides all that stuff. Since you asked though, 2 reasons are: One, I enjoy making things and spending my Sunday tinkering is about as good as it gets. Second, I am not aware of a commercially available saw lanyard that has snaps, or biners at both ends, just ring>ring or ring>snap.

Seeing as I enjoy making them, and what I want isnt available it is a luxury I can indulge in.

Nick,
great job on the lanyards! I agree, there is nothing on the market that is built the way I'd really like it. :(
I remember when I was a youngsta'( :D ) my mother had a stitching awl that looked exactly like that to repair all our horse riding tack, halters, bridles, saddles, everything! You can stitch up just about anything with those. :thumbup:
I like the oval screw link, is it stainless?

Bonner I always enjoy seeing your stuff and reading your posts. That tinkering on tree stuff is about as good as it gets on a Sunday is probably a big part of why I like your contributions so much. I think Stig’s point about a breakable link is an important one to address. I see saw lanyards in supply catalogues made out of the same (looking) webbing that they are selling as rigging loop runners. I always wonder, “ So the climber is supposed to unclip that lanyard on every risky/suspect cut or what?” I use the break away bungie lanyards for my small saws and half inch manilla I splice for my big saws. Oops! Just looked up 1/2in. manilla and it could hold up to 2350 lbs. where I thought it would break at 500 lbs.. I need to get a link in mine as well.

Any ideas of a link that would reliably hold when big saws are dropped against it repeatedly and would reliable break at around 250 lbs.?

Thomas thanks for the link to ClampTite, I would have never known about that little gem.

The quick link I used is rated as a SWL of 100kg or 225lbs... I imagine it holds considerably more than that but seeing as its a petzl product one can never know :lol: (ok that wasnt fair). The cordage isnt going to break, it is rated over 2000 some pounds.

In all reality I would wager my life that the stitching I used would break before my body would be irrevocably harmed. I used a waxed twine, not some hi-tech nylon thread or anything like that. The problem with 'break away' products is that its hard to reproduce that perfect level of compression, stitching, materials, and construction. Maybe I will make one up and break it just to find out.

You can test it yourself. Hang somewhere where someone has some gym weights. Keep picking up/ holding more while hanging until it starts to give, or gives up.

Some gear I've picked up over the last few weeks.....

Accessory cord(3mm, 5mm, 7mm), throw line, another throw weight, and a Wichard snap shackle.....

attachment.php

.....Big Shot "classic", and 8mm HRC hitch cord.....

attachment.php

.....and my new Contour Roam(it's AWESOME!!!)

attachment.php

:D ;) :thumbupold:

Attachments

• IMG_7724 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_7724 - Copy.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7726 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_7726 - Copy.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7728 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_7728 - Copy.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 55
you should try Wesspurs "indestructible" throw bags, IMO they are the best out there. I use them daily and get a couple of years out of them.

Those Wichard snaps are probably the bee's knees, but if you want to save around 90%, you can get a horse panic snap from a tack shop and hitting high shots accurately.

You're gonna love that BS!

I already do! :D

you should try Wesspurs "indestructible" throw bags, IMO they are the best out there. I use them daily and get a couple of years out of them.

I'm doing more with the throwline now than ever before and I'm trying to settle on a kind I like. How are they for working through the branches and isolating the target limb/crotch? :?

Those Wichard snaps are probably the bee's knees, but if you want to save around 90%, you can get a horse panic snap from a tack shop and hitting high shots accurately.

I'm familiar with those, my mother was a horse trainer when I was a youngsta'. I never even thought of those. :|:

Better still, I bought an Archery trigger and set this up with an old carbon windsurf mast and mast base. The trigger is the best bit and cost £14. Sorry it's a link but I deleted the photos.
http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/climbers-talk/56209-big-shot-set-up-2.html

Ayuh, my brother uses an archery trigger(for bow hunting). Some great ideas there. I really like that link to arbtalk, great pictures for Big Shot setups! :thumbup:

Oh, I almost forgot, some more gear to fill in the "gaps" in my toolbox. This season has already started off at a crazy busy pace! :thumbup:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_7733 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_7733 - Copy.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 77
I need a new rope, had to cut 25' off it today...a branch I cut dragged the loose end down onto my saw as it was winding down, thought I had it looped out of the way, nope...that rope's already been cut before, its only 95' now, good thing my next lot of trees are on the shorter side over here.

I have been thinking of Tachyon...or one of the 11.7mm as a change from full 1/2", never climbed on anything but 1/2"...XTC Plus, except a rec climb on Tachyon, I liked it.

Good ol trusty Arbormaster... Love the stuff.

I love it! :D
It was my first climb line, it's strong, and I got it on a good sale a few years back.
I don't have the luxury of buying rope to "try" so I went with with the one that proved it's worth to me over and over again, and of course, I got it on a good sale. ;) Almost at the point where I can afford an "extra" climb line. I like the specs on the Lava, light and strong. I could absolutely go for a rope like that, IF it's "climber friendly" like they say(stays round, knots well, good with mechanicals, good with hitches, etc.) Anyone use it.....?, and like it?, hate it? :? Oops, sorry, I don't want to hijack the thread. :\:

I have that rope and hate it. My hitch doesn't work worth a darn on it.

Sorry to here that. :( Over the past few years that rope has been an absolute workhorse for me. Strong as all get out! I have put it through some severe abuse and the stuff just keeps on doing what it does without "complaining". ;)
I used the 8mm Beeline cord and didn't do too well with that. I tried Ocean 10mm and that was a lot better. Now I just started using the 8mm HRC and that stuff works great!(for me)

I need a new rope, had to cut 25' off it today...a branch I cut dragged the loose end down onto my saw as it was winding down, thought I had it looped out of the way, nope...that rope's already been cut before, its only 95' now, good thing my next lot of trees are on the shorter side over here.

I have been thinking of Tachyon...or one of the 11.7mm as a change from full 1/2", never climbed on anything but 1/2"...XTC Plus, except a rec climb on Tachyon, I liked it.

As I said, I don't quite have the luxury of investing in another climbline, yet. But I do like the specs on the Lava. :)

When I retire it (Arbormaster) from climbing, it turns into light rigging/pulling lines and positioning lanyards.
I still am using the Blue Streak I bought new for the WCGTG at the Redwoods as a pull line and light rigging line. That was what 09?

Ayuh, the "tail" of mine has done more than it's fair share of rigging. ;)
And it will continue to work for me with light rigging/pulling duties. :thumbup:
Lanyard you say?, hmmmmm.....:thumbupold:

Back