O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

The wire is for splicing. I got 170', any ideas what else I can make with it besides wire fids? It was only $9

The speedy stitcher awl is really neat it makes a running lockstitch in the same fashion as a sewing machine but costs way less.

The 10 pack of leather needles and the sail palm are for whipping and general sewing projects. I decided to sew up the connections in my rope walker setup and make a few chainsaw lanyards. I just made this one for one of the guys at work as a bit of practice with the speedy stitcher. I have some heat shrink coming in the mail so I will clean it up tomorrow.

20130425_205624.jpg

20130425_205635.jpg

20130425_205654.jpg

No crazy story really, just what happens when a couple tree guys get bored in the middle of January. I had about 2 dozen eggs that froze accidently.... so we launched them in the big shot. I couldn't believe that they didn't break.

Nick, I like that saw rig you made. Sexy. I had one and nicked it up bad with my chain. I have to get another. It was nice to have. I got it from American Arborist.

I will send you one with the cameras when you get around to it. Just let me know whether you want a girth loop for the saw or a small screwlink, and the overall length from harness attachment to saw attachment.

...at $.30/foot for the cord it cost next to nothing!

No crazy story really, just what happens when a couple tree guys get bored in the middle of January. I had about 2 dozen eggs that froze accidently.... so we launched them in the big shot. I couldn't believe that they didn't break.

Ok. I would have thought they would have shattered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvUtyCHK2QE

Knot sure if you have seen this?
Works great for simple rope tools.
Lashing and wire clamp is pretty tough. And quite a bit easier than the awl though
you got love the lock stich aspect. You could lock stitch with this tool as well.

Good find Thomas, the entrepreneurial spirit rises again! I love that and wish I could find an excuse to buy one.

... make a few chainsaw lanyards. I just made this one for one of the guys at work ...

View attachment 47324

View attachment 47323

View attachment 47325

He really liked it, so I made another. This one is for me:

IMG_20130428_145005.jpg
IMG_20130428_144919.jpg
IMG_20130428_135853.jpg
IMG_20130428_145012.jpg

The small quicklink is the saw connection, the fancy Petzl biner is the 'close saddle' connection and the cheapo screw lock is the 'back saddle' connection.

I changed up the configuration a bit and added some heatshrink. I dont have a variable temp heat gun like Adam does so excuse the soot marks :).

Now you just need a breakable link in there somewhere and you won't have to worry about getting your saw snatched.

making your own? why not just buy the ring and snap...

I dont even have to buy one, the company provides all that stuff. Since you asked though, 2 reasons are: One, I enjoy making things and spending my Sunday tinkering is about as good as it gets. Second, I am not aware of a commercially available saw lanyard that has snaps, or biners at both ends, just ring>ring or ring>snap.

Seeing as I enjoy making them, and what I want isnt available it is a luxury I can indulge in.

Back