O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Damn I didn't realize a protos was going to be 300 bucks. I can think of a lot of other gear I'd rather spend 300 bucks on. Vertex 4L I guess

Do they have to be plugged into a phone being blue tooth?

If I remember right the Comms portion will work with out a phone. You just have to pair the units together.

I know a half dozen folks using the Sena's with their Moto helmets and all are quite happy with them. Battery life for them is over 10 hours with music playing the whole time. Not sure in cold temps how much time would be taken off that.

I did a little more digging, and the system i posted also needs a $525 base station. Damn.

The older wired ones where much more affordable. They do make another wired system, but you need a pack the size of a computer mouse. Can probably stow it like a gopro, on the back of the helmet. I'd say inside but that's a safety violation. :|:

Any pics of your system mounted on the helmet?

I would want something like an ear bud with hearing protection, we don't do muffs here.

Interesting to think about for sure.

If I remember right the Comms portion will work with out a phone. You just have to pair the units together.

I know a half dozen folks using the Sena's with their Moto helmets and all are quite happy with them. Battery life for them is over 10 hours with music playing the whole time. Not sure in cold temps how much time would be taken off that.

Reason I asked. Thanks. Cell phones work for shat up here, with few exception. Why I don't own one yet. Gonna have to get one though..... Looks like another pay phone in town is about to be non existant

No doubt it's cool and I've spent too much on a lot of stuff. I just don't hate my vertex enough to spend that to replace it.

Sure would be nice not to catch my muffs on stuff though.

Does the face shield come off quickly?

Im with Butch. Unless it does something drastically different then what I already have, no go for me. Ill pay for performance all day long. But not style and flash.

No doubt it's cool and I've spent too much on a lot of stuff. I just don't hate my vertex enough to spend that to replace it.

Sure would be nice not to catch my muffs on stuff though.

Does the face shield come off quickly?

I have not tried to take it off but it looks easy in the video.

Last week I worked in a medium sized Yew tree, the kind of tree that pokes twigs under the muffs a hundred times an hour. Not one twig snagged in the muffs, visor or under the helmet.

oldmill, so do you usually climb with the visor down? Seems like if it were up it would get knocked down a lot. For the record I'm not knocking the helmet at all. My questions are all based on envy I assure you. :)

rumi, if you're still checking in here I finally put some 3mm cord on my bungee walker ascender

walker_zps337d075c.jpg

Nice and small. I girthed it to the pantin and lock stitched the tail a bit. The loop part is just a little blakes that I can tighten down on my foot.

How's yours holding up?

That looks nice and light Adam. I'm curious to hear how it is using the 3mm cord as a footloop.

I haven't climbed any tall trees lately so mine hasn't really been put to the test yet. I'm using the HH, so usually on anything under 35-40 feet to the first branch I just use a lanyard over the shoulder to advance the HH and footlock or pantin up.

A new lid

Pacific Kevlar, Peltor 95's painted black.

medium800.jpg

May order up some black reflective tape for it, and do a little detailing.
I want some for my Moto Gear anyway.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/2409360" width="580" height="326" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

oldmill, so do you usually climb with the visor down? Seems like if it were up it would get knocked down a lot. For the record I'm not knocking the helmet at all. My questions are all based on envy I assure you. :)

Hi Adam_P
Yes I do climb with the visor down most of the time. I'm paranoid about my eyes because i've seen some horrors.
The Protos is as comfy as a Petzl (possibly more). It's safer due to the design and construction. It doesn't get snagged on twigs and small branches. Best of all, it's cooler due to the ventilation.
The Petzl is a great helmet and there is nothing wrong with it, the Protos is just better.

Why is it that every time there is a great sale going on I either don't have any cash or I don't need anything?

Back