O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Cause they do the same thing. I have a kitchen aid stand mixer and a cuisinart hand mixer, there is a clear winner for sure.

Its not like a spiderjack and a unicender, which arguably do different things. The RW and the HH as far as I understand it serve the exact same purpose, either one does it better or they are identical in performance in which case its a price battle. It seems to me, not having used either that the HH would work better as it seems less sloppy.

IMHO and personal life's experience, Nick and Nick..... the winner would be in individual preference of comfort with performance balanced with value of pricing, not in one actually out performing the other over all. Personal feel and preference mixed with performance at one's personal comfort level will ultimately dictate what is a winner for an individual, not an industry. JMO.

Actually man, the new RW is the winner for me I think. Used it today strapping a failing sugar maple together and it performed flawlessly. The new rigid tether tree stuff sells makes a world of difference for me. If not for that tether, the HH would have the upper hand. Don't get me wrong, Paul's HH is one amazing tool and I'm still going to pick the new one up and use it, but the RW ZK2 will be my preferred mode of SRT I think. Some people aren't fans of the rigid tether so much though, so like Stephen said, it's a personal preference thing. Both the HH and ZK2 do what they're supposed to amazingly well, but both have their own characteristics that make them unique. One isn't going to knock the other out, everyone's climbing style is so personal that both will perform well in the market I believe, since both offer certain traits that cater to different climbing styles and feelings.

Adrian,

I find it that every new tool you get you rant and rave how super awesome it is at first. I tend to notice we find out the real truth further down the road. :)

Everyone does that though, myself included. It is easier to see the positives that justify you getting that new machine, tool, rope, or gear. It is usually not until you use it for a while that the negative aspects settle in.

Indeed, I do tend to do that quite often I'll admit. The ZK2 really backs those claims up for me though. The ZK1 was already a great tool, it had some drawbacks, like it's all steel construction(had to watch that while tending your hitch, more than a few of us Rw users knocked ourself in the mouth with it and learned that the hard way:/) and how it could jam the hitch sometimes while tending, those large bolts and nuts sticking out on the sides. The ZK2 and rigid tether fixed the majority of those problems though. It's aluminum now, instead of steel. The rigid tether fixes any jamming issues and makes it all run smoother in general. The built in sheave cuts down on friction and further adds to the smoothness. The cut out middle makes for a great place to clip in a tending carabiner. The sexy star head, rounded screws make it sleek. I can't really think of any thing more to improve it. For me, the RW in general did what the Wraptor did for a lot of climbers out there, it made me a vastly better climber and greatly improved production, while making the physical aspects of climbing a lot easier. The ZK2 is basically the culmination of a vast number of climbers inputs from around the world who used the ZK1 and other prototypes Kevin made and tested. I'm sure Kevin will think of ways to improve it, but I'm not inventive enough to think of how to improve upon this product, so to me it just seems perfect.

Spending money is real good for the overall economy. Second in importance is whether the products being purchased are good or not. Disappointment isn't so bad.

It's all good, being a gear slut is your gig. I just notice, or think, that your excitement over a new piece of gear favors your opinion of it. It just might make people lean towards something that, well, just might not be the truth. No digs on ya, just saying. I used to get all excited about the new fangled climbing things, I soon learned they are all still on the bottom of a card board box in my garage. I'm set in my ways, I found what works a long time ago. I'm fast and proficient in how I'm set up. I'm more into putting money in my pocket, and pushing levers now a days than the small gizmo's.

I might try a HH though, just might.:|:

I love the trees too.

Yea man, I've really calmed down on buying new gear, though between the Gehl and dump trailer I've spent more than I ever thought I would on gear at this age haha. The RW actually shrunk my gear bag, just simplified things so much. No more messing around with friction savers or anything like that. I noticed a huge production increase when I got it, from access to working the tree it's sped things up. Like you, I learned pretty quick after I took too SRT about new gear and how it usually ends up sitting in a box. After I got the ZK1 it really opened my eyes to keeping it simple, stupid.

Adrian, when you reach a point where you will be teaching people, which I'm pretty sure that you will, just think how much you will make it easier for yourself by keeping it simple. :D

Back