O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

My biners off Fleabay arrived today. Ordered 10 of them and I could have used some of them today on some zip lining I did on an oak.
There should be another box coming soon :/:

Attachments

• IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 3
Will do.. They seem very substantial. Nice wide opening as well. We will have to see how the screw gate holds up. That will probably be the deal breaker if it has issues there. I still have almost as many in what Brian turned me onto. Only retired one and it is helping guy up that Manzanita I raised back up this last winter/spring. Sold it to the customer ;)
Same rating as I remember..

Sometimes coming home at the end of the day just makes me smile...

Got to deposit 4 checks today and unwrap this :D IMG_1012.jpg IMG_1011.jpg

I think I might just have to play in a tree this weekend and try it out :/:

CurSedVoyce, I look forward to a little review of the CMI ascender if you don't mind. I like the price point compared to the petzl.

Attachments

• block and tackle, rope wrench 008.jpg
    block and tackle, rope wrench 008.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 5
  • block and tackle, rope wrench 005.jpg
    block and tackle, rope wrench 005.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 5
  • block and tackle, rope wrench 004.jpg
    block and tackle, rope wrench 004.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 4
CurSedVoyce, I look forward to a little review of the CMI ascender if you don't mind. I like the price point compared to the petzl.

Until Stephen has a chance to give his new CMI double handle a few test runs, which I too will look forward to, I can offer this:

Ergonomically, I think it's about a wash with Petzl ascenders. The handles accomodate large hands well, though with thick gloves some might find the space a little snug...but that's a problem most handled ascenders share. I much prefer the CMI milled body over Petzl's stamped and folded plate stock...admittedly a personal quibble that few bother about.

For whatever reason, CMI redesigned the cam latch mechanism from that used on the venerable Ultracender model...those were much easier to thumb the cam with, and this new version has the release tab sticking way out where it can much more easily be snagged. I have heard of some climbers shortening it to reduce the possibility of accidental release...I have not, but still might.

Last, I like the somewhat less aggressive teeth on the cam that CMI uses, relative to those on the Petzl ascenders. A bit less snaggy at picking the rope, and don't wear the rope as much.

I use my CMI double handle in my slightly modified version of Sherrill's Tree Frog ascender system. Here's a link to a thread with discussion and pictures from a while back, if you're interested.

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?9950-B-s-version-of-Sherrill-s-Tree-Frog&

Yes Burnam ... That would be it. We have been using just what pulleys we had on hand to configure the rig and this will stream line it nicely. Free up some pulleys as well for other rigging points. I also see some limb lifting ability become a tad easier ;)
As far as the CMI double handle ascender. Great tool... Nice handles too BTW. Not as skinny as the Petzl so more comfortable and plenty of room for big hands. I do need to redial my foot loop a tad... my old climb style was one hand above the other. Takes some getting used to... but... better than how my biceps felt after a long day :D
Arms are pulling more equal now. Rhythm is a tad different as well... Just a couple minor tweeks and I'll be set :)

Burnham's modified Tree Frog is what we copied for our two trips to the redwoods and sequoias.
That is one fine SRT system.

As far as the MA system. Adding a prussic on the lower pulley to the first leg of rope would allow progress capture. And more importantly allow you to readjust if needed.

No, Scott...it's a good point. Without that, the utility of the whole setup is compromised.

I was amused only because there's a prusik loop clipped into one of the biners as part of the rigging kit that all stays together, in the first pic I posted.

Well Rajan... I think you have me figured out.. I got it real bad...

Soooooo... Yesterday, one of the old fallers up here waved me down and told me he had some stuff for sale. He is getting older and does not sling his larger saws around much these days.
Needless to say.. I have helped him thin his stable a tad today. :)
Scored an 066 and an 046 both modded (though not real pretty). Came with 100 foot of chisel and four bars. I decided the Silvey needed to come for the ride as well :D
Guess I need to get some cleaner and possibly so prettier covers. :/:

Attachments

• IMG_1045.jpg
    IMG_1045.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 6
Put them into a chunk of dead dry oak he had up there, buried at 32 " they did jusssssssst fine :D
I probably should not have spent the money, but the price was a pretty dang good deal.
I was shy a 46 in my stable and I have always wanted a second 066. The Silvey is something I have been wanting for quite a time. Nobody sharpens square chisel in town .. But now I can :D

If you need to get some practice using the Silvey, I can send you a couple hundred loops I need all filed up.

Nice score, I have been looking for a used Silvey for some time now.

First I thought he was not going to part with it, he had to think about it.. Then he gave me a package price. SOLD. :D
I forgot the extra wheel (brand new) and will have to go back and get it. He lives right on my way to a lot of my jobs so no biggie. Said he had some Stihl parts he was gonna dig out for me as well.. Should be interesting.

Back