O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I think Willie lives close to where they make them if memory serves. If he's such a high faluting master arborist and all you'd think the least he could do is set all of us 'Housers up with one. WTH Willie?

I traded work for a 066 a couple of weeks ago. Got some new parts and she is running like a beast. Started out with a bar and chain, then sprocket, clutch, bearing and goodies. New filter and a full cleaning. She runs good. I paid 400 in trade work.

Haha, been along time since I ran a 066 I guess. My 660 is tuned up a tad too so maybe that helps

Stock, the 660 runs a distant second to a stock 066, I think most would agree, but if you've done work on your 660, that's a different story. That saw definitely has plenty of potential, but it has to be exploited before it really measures up.

I think one could sum it up by looking to the EPA constrictions placed on the 660...much smaller exhaust porting/muffler outlet and carb adjustment limiter caps. One of our more skookum saw guru's will be able to expand, no doubt.

Both my FS 066 and my personal 064 kick the several FS 660's azz, that I have run. All stock. Anyway, there is more lower end grunt in those older saws, imo. Less bogging under heavier loads/long bars/big wood. You just cannot hardly bog my 064, no matter how hard you lean on it. My 066 runs close to that, but maybe a smidge less power down low.

Last edited:
What is it with this nostalgia for the saws of days gone by?

It was not the saws that were stronger back then, Burnham, it was us;)

Cmon Stig- surely you feel a twinge of sentimentality over an old 038 Mag or a 254xp? Great saws should not be forgotten.

Brevity and smelling errors courtesy of iPhone using Tapatalk

No I don't.
Saws are tools to me, nothing more.
I don't have a single saw sitting around that I don't use for work.

But when I went to a forestry museum and saw my first saw ( Jonsered Raket 70) as an exhibit, it sure made me feel ancient:lol:

I don't feel nostalgia for old saws either, Stig. At least, I sure don't want to own them, nor run them.

I do feel nostalgia for saws not emasculated by the manufacturers to meet air quality standards. I don't care to run some big old heavy beast from the past, no matter how strong it runs. I like the saws that came just before these we see today...they were both a little lighter and a bit stronger, with fully adjustable carbs.

True that.
As I wrote in another thread, I bought the last new T200 in the country for precisely that reason.

As for the adjustable carbs, it'll be interesting to see how well the next generation of saws,like the MS241 that supposedly are self adjusting, do.

Agreed, it would be interesting to have a saw that ran consistently at both ends of the elevation ranges I might work at in a single day...under 1000 ft. up to 6000 ft. However, I fear that they will be programmed to consistently achieve mediocre results dictated by low emmission goals, rather than premium performance.

Not neccessarily so.

If you look at car and motorcycle engines, the HP per liter output is WAY higher today than it was just 15 years ago, and they use less fuel at the same time.

Eventually the direct injection tecnology will hit chainsaws ,too, and we'll really have a new generation of saws.

Have you run any of the little Stihl 4-stroke engines?

Those are SO much better for low end torque than the 2 cycle engines they replaced.
Not suitable for logging chainsaws, but my new polesaw sure outperforms the old one by far.

It is still in the interest of saw manufactorers to put out high performance saws, so guys like us will buy them.

We just need some designer to look outside the box.
Since Stihl isn't hampered by being owned by a vacuumcleaner factory, I look to them for new developements.

I hope you are right, Stig. What you say has merit, for sure.

I've not had a chance to run one of those 4-cycle Stihls. But I have a bit of experience with a couple of the new generation of 4-cycle outboard boat motors...they are quite wonderful, imo. So the future may yet be bright :).

And as for heavier saws of the past.... the new 201T weighs more than the 200T. 066 is not such a dinosaur with the power it has over the stock 660, and the 660 weighs a pound more if I remember right. Ahhh for the cost of cleaner air :roll:

Back