O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I woulda got a real scythe but I couldnt tell ya where to buy one locally. Funny, in the mid 90's I was managing a garden center and we had about 20 full sized scythes prices at around $75, couldnt sell them if they were free, ended up tossing them in the bin I think. The Roundup, sorry, bylaws now prohibit the use of almost all pesticides, except Safers soap, moss killer, ant and rat killers and copper or sulphur compounds, and BtK, sorry about the run on sentence.

we have two allowable herbicides here, safers Topgun (a dessicant, soap based, works like a hot damn in dry weather, kills top growth, GRADUALLY kills roots) and Ecoclear, a 7.4 % acetic acid (vinegar) compound, the Ecoclear turns the weeds (plants) into a snotty mess while the Topgun just dries the buggers out FAST.

Ecoclear 1 liter RTU, $15, 1 liter of 10% pickling vinegar at the italian store, $4. :roll:

Was suggested to use the white distilled vinegar (cheap as all get out by the US Gal.) on poison oak and some other brush to help control and kill the new growth. Obviously you have had some results with what you can use there. Sounds like you have more restriction than CA:\:

BTW.. I do like you're "swather" :) Should be a good work out also. ;)

Attachments

• johnny5-need-input.png
    johnny5-need-input.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 47
kitchen vinegar is supposedly about 4% average acetic acid, thats the active ingredient, I dont know about your fancy distilled Beverly hills vinegar... :P

Balsamic? I think we have 4 or 5 kinds in the house right now. I want to buy one of those $30 or more bottles one day to see if they do taste different, that and I want to buy an actual truffle instead of this fakeass truffle oil we have. :)

You will find a difference in sweetness, tart character and acidity in different brands (price ranges). Keep in mind that is is a lot like wine.. Often there are $10.00 bottles that will blow the doors off a 20 plus... And too cheap in like Thunderbird or Mogen David ;) I have lost touch on brands these days.....

actually it will increase the concentration of the solution...or the percentage of active ingredient. pH is not dependant on the concentration I dont think, but I could be wronge. :)

Boiling will not increase strength or lower ph. The acid (acetic) will boil away with the water. You have to us a distillation tower to increase acid strength.

Fartman, we are more regulated around here, the only product we have is a ready to use trigger sprayer, I havent checked in to the commercial availability of the stuff you should be putting on fish and chips rather than a few silly dandelions..:)

Did someone say something about monkeys?

I just picked up all the toys necessary to do Jerry's rope walker trick. I'm excited. If it works, I can forget my diet and get as heavy as I want to because climb just became a lot easier.

The breaker and spinner for making chains should be here tomorrow, so I'll be rollin' in chain. I also scored a bench chain grinder for $ 250 the other day, so I'll finally be able to keep up with the rocks that keep throwing themselves at Matt and Adam.

Spools of chain are expensive though!! You guys have any good sources for deals on saw chain?

Yup, I get one of my buddies in the PNW to send me Stihl chain they buy from Wood's. For Oregon or Woodsman Pro you can get it from Bailey's pretty cheap.

A quick tip on the spinner- Most people want to spin and spin and sloooooolllllyyyyyy crank down the press to squeeze the rivet. This will give you a weaker rivet. You want to crank the rivet down relatively quickly while making about 4-5 turns on the spinner handle. This flares the body of the rivet giving a tighter fit.

Yup, I get one of my buddies in the PNW to send me Stihl chain they buy from Wood's. For Oregon or Woodsman Pro you can get it from Bailey's pretty cheap.

A quick tip on the spinner- Most people want to spin and spin and sloooooolllllyyyyyy crank down the press to squeeze the rivet. This will give you a weaker rivet. You want to crank the rivet down relatively quickly while making about 4-5 turns on the spinner handle. This flares the body of the rivet giving a tighter fit.

And put just a drop of light oil on the head of the rivet before you start spinning and cranking.

I just called Sherrill out on their 150% price match guarantee for the first time. Bailey's has the new Rock Exotica Pirate carabiners for $5 cheaper then Sherrill so I called up Sherrill got the price match and saved $14 on two of them. Of course, with Sherrill's much higher shipping cost I actually only ended up saving about $5 over what I would have with Bailey's, but hey it's something.

By the way Burnham you might be interested in these carabiners. They are much like the Omega Jake: side swing gate, pull down action. But they have a key lock and the gate looks to be of nicer construction. I'll let you know when I get them.

While I'm glad you could save a buck Leon, I feel bad for Bailey's just trying to make a honest buck and their sale is stolen away.

Back