O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Yes, and no, respectively. It is a big ass stick and 40 feet is a long ways up! But it can reach some very hard to reach things, that is for sure.

Fortunately, you only need to use the number of extensions needed for the job at hand as you can slip the extras off the bottom.

Looks like the same stick power company guys use to flip breakers on the power poles. Also sold as measuring sticks to measure height.

Yup. They are called hot sticks, come in several different configurations and are made by Hastings.

Do you leave the butt planted on the ground? I've done a lot of 16-20' pole clipping, and my shoulders hate it. Seems like this might keep one from reaching up to get that one limb just a bit out of reach!

What's the collapsed length?

It is about 6' long when retracted and weighs about 15 lbs. So yes, butt on the ground for most cuts. This actually works fairly well after lifting it and hooking the cut location.

Like I said earlier, judging how many extensions you will need is important as it will increase maneuverability and reduce weight.

Sweetheart of a crane, and yes, much closer to a a million than $200k.

Surprised to see it set up for a hydraulic luffer.

Yeah, when the jib moves under load it’s called a luffing jib. The hose reel was the giveaway that it had a luffer, I don’t know that I’ve seen one on a crane that small.

My most expensive forestry purchase wouldn't cover the monthly payment on that crane :^D

That's a 60 ton is it not? A luffing jib is very very handy on a crane that size for setting rooftop units.

Geezus, what a machine. Mayer pioneered the use of that small-footprint crane for treework, afaik. The short wheel base makes them illegal for travel over the road in CT, otherwise I'd have one:/::lol:

I do believe the short wheelbase is the problem as it interacts with the bridge formula. Something like that. My crane guy knows all things crane and he says that is why there are virtually none in CT. Yes, they could be flat bedded but that is no fun

Hell yeah I need one but I'm just gonna keep using my crane guy for the foreseeable future.

He pays overweight fees on a per trip basis for his 85t, $56 per destination. But afaik, no amount of money will make that GMK crane legal to drive in CT

The crane is legal, it's just the all terrain chassis isn't. The all terrain chassis is ideal for running it around town, but that's not the only way. Around here all terrains are legal and you do see some of them. But honestly a bunch of outfits run only rough terrains, and then haul them around on an equipment hauler trailer. The cranes are cheaper, do better in mud, do just as fine on roads, and the setup is cheaper and honestly more versatile, especially with more cranes/ equipment.

Back