O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

This summer in Bermuda I did most of my work with two different sized handsaws (zubat/sugoi) and secateurs and the fiskars pole pruner...the 200 got a vacation until I had to go casuarina culling.
I HATE dragging a 200 around a tree, if I only need it occasionaly it gets clipped off somewhere handy, and I go get it if I need it.
Many times up in the little tops I use the handsaw because its just too close confines for comfort, and a 200 would be overkill!

192t or 150t for pruning, and lot of removals, if you're of smaller size. It will take a small amount longer for many limbing cuts, but you drag less throughout the whole tree. Having a 200t, I'm glad to have replaced my 192t, and I'm over 180#.

A handsaw gives you another option when you want to say, "It'll probably be alright". The handsaw is only sharp on one side. This option for handsawing in dicey cutting situation can protect a person. I know I have to cut and chuck with a handsaw sometimes. Sometimes the undercut on a couple branches, then finish them off with the top cut with the handsaw.

When have smaller stuff to cut and chuck, I'll sometimes stub them off with a little cutting on top until they snap, then de-stub with the chainsaw 10-15 at a time (2-3 whorls).

A handsaw gives you another option when you want to say, "It'll probably be alright". The handsaw is only sharp on one side. This option for handsawing in dicey cutting situation can protect a person. I know I have to cut and chuck with a handsaw sometimes. Sometimes the undercut on a couple branches, then finish them off with the top cut with the handsaw.

When have smaller stuff to cut and chuck, I'll sometimes stub them off with a little cutting on top until they snap, then de-stub with the chainsaw 10-15 at a time (2-3 whorls).

:thumbup:;)

I only started the 200T twice today on one tree out of 5.
That was when I cut the felling notch and the back cut after I told them to put more tension on the pull line. All else was hand saw.. Including barberpole-ing the sugar pine before I threw the top. Everything was cut and chuck to where the chipper was. All the trees where on slopes. Kind nice. Wish the chipper was not needed. Would have made for a quiet day :)

I only started the 200T twice today on one tree out of 5.
That was when I cut the felling notch and the back cut after I told them to put more tension on the pull line. All else was hand saw.. Including barberpole-ing the sugar pine before I threw the top. Everything was cut and chuck to where the chipper was. All the trees where on slopes. Kind nice. Wish the chipper was not needed. Would have made for a quiet day :)

Yea, I was gonna say - not even a rope.

W dah F? How do you climb w/o a rope???

left, right, right, left, left, right, usually in smaller than needed steps because they're afraid that with no fall arrest, they will take the bark express. More common than one would think.

Ya know, climb lines take too much time.;) My old boss was told when he was young that a second flipline took too much time, just crotch an elbow, disconnect, and reconnect (as in retie the "cat's paw" with the manila flipline).

That's three point climbing, which used to be sanctioned. I used to do it a lot, back in the day. I'll still do it sometimes, but you can bet I have my perch secured.

I wonder why he didn't want it?

He is not a tree guy. He worked of the power plant being built in south Milwaukee and it was out dated safety gear in a tower bailout bag. The rope is new and has never been used as far as I can tell.
I was thinking the same thing Sean.

Back