Not good...

I’m so sorry to hear about this with a bunch of my favorite TreeHousers. Holler if there’s anything I can do to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As of this morning we are still with our friends, about a mile outside the mandatory evac. zone. If things go badly, we will decamp with them to their daughter's place west and south of Portland by about 20 miles. Our house is most probably still intact today, as the overnight IR mapping shows the active fire perimeter about 3 or 4 miles away. No entry is allowed, so I can't go check.

The closest town to us is Estacada, OR. Fully evacuated now, as is much of eastern Clackamas county. We have several friends whose homes are less that 1/4 mile from the active fire, and one whose home and all outbuildings has burned to the ground. Unprecedented fires and fire behavior for western Oregon.

Last edited:
Good luck to you folks and everyone else in the fire areas. Lucky enough to have never had to experience something like that. An opposite extreme, the 2011 Minot ND flood was probably the worst. Be great if you folks would have that water about now! Keep in touch.

I was able to reenter our property after being evacuated by getting a ‘livestock wellness check permit’ from the Farm Bureau. This pass even trumped the AG PASS, because they suspended all agricultural activities (grape harvest right now). We only have 9 chickens and four ducks, but they never actually asked how many lots very stressful not knowing how your property is doing...

I just blazed right through the police blockade showing my ‘multi-pass’!

Meh we are just fine. Thx for asking!
main thing is that our air quality is worse than Beijing!
I bet burnham is suffering bad air too!

Town next to my family in NorCal just evacuated and they are packed and ready to go if need be. Flock of sheep and chickens and farm dogs, Dad said “can’t read without a flashlight” yesterday morning. Brother is in Eugene with 100k acre fire close. Crazy photos.
Edit: just got an email and they are now in the evac zone but weather is better than yesterday and fire hasn’t jumped the river yet. Elkhorn complex now 255k acres.

Evac. zone boundaries just changed again, we are now in level 2 here, so are helping our friends pack up to decamp. Whole city of Sandy, along with Oregon City and a batch of lesser towns are now under advisement to prepare for evac. at any time.

This has gotten really serious.

Not going to be able to ferry the Jag out to safety this time, I don't expect. Worse things could happen, obviously...I'd miss the old beast if it were to be lost. But not near as much as I'd miss our home and acreage. Unknown situation there now...very dynamic conditions.

I can't even imagine the entire world burning like you guys have out there. Hopefully everything will be ok

Back