New to the group (Blair Glenn)

... And sir Reg. Seems to have said fook off to the House...

Cory, I agree with you on most all of what you wrote, but for me, I miss Reg. I consider him a one-off and a pioneer with techniques he developed in his videos. That has made for some very enjoyable footage. I also appreciate hearing his personal insights on tree work and even life in general.

August on the other hand, makes my wife's skin crawl. I trust her judgment.

Reg once accused August of being vain.
I told him that with his Prince Valiant haircut and fake grumpy Englishman ways, he might want to go look in a mirror.

Turned out I unknowingly stepping into something that had been going on between them for a long time, so I quickly apologized and took off.

Still, I believe most of those Youtube heroes have a more than healthy dose of the seventh deadly sin.

Murphy most of all.

Dave, I miss Reg too. His tree related footage is in a class by itself. And it is only out of the immense respect I have for his skills and the tree vids he's produced that I would watch him expound on other things. Eventually realized though that he's just one more guy droning on in a vid about his take on things. Just no. :drink:

Reactions: DMc
There is one guy I have known to do videos without any of his own ego involved.
None of that " Oh, look at me, I'm just so effing good" shit.
That is Gerry Beranek.
He can do a video where you damned well know it is about teaching the trade and not putting himself in the lime light.

... Eventually realized though that he's just one more guy droning on in a vid about his take on things. Just no. :drink:

I've gotta say that this seems very un-Cory-like, being that you will often break topic within a thread to ask a personal question and of course non work related chatter is a strong point in the 'House'.

Last edited:
I guess I just got TMI from Reg, like 10 minutes on his thoughts about yoga, or the rant about starbucks coffee. Or ranting about people who say he's not a good tree guy. I betcha those same rants, if presented more concisely in the form of a TH post, could have indeed been interesting.

Or the thing about running a Stihl saw over with his truck.
That was where I started to get the feeling, that he believed he was the god of treework.
Which we all know is blatantly untrue.

That would be Murphy.

7th deadly sin overload, all of them except for Gerry.

You know, Dave, doing standup here would be fine as long as you left your ego at home.
Gerry does that, but then he has nothing to prove.
I doubt that we have any members who don't totally respect him, I for one is happy to call him a friend.
Even though I won't get to see him and mrs B this year.
Last year it got screwed by me having to get chemo, this year corona did it.

Hard to keep up with friends with all that shit.

I think Patrick at Educated Climber has a very good channel. He's not full of himself and puts out solid informative videos. He even has a newer video of mistakes and near misses. And it's a good reference for those knots that I seem to forget. I've learned a lot from almost everyone here and the videos I watch. There are certain people that I refuse to watch but not very many.

Yall are right about Mr. Beranek. I wish he was still putting out vids. Anything he puts out is pure gold.

Idk, I thought when Reg ran over the saw it was pretty funny cuz he was doing something to a saw that we've all wanted to do at one time or another.

Many of the arb education vids can be tough to watch because basically most of all of them need much more editing and refinement to be watchable.

Take my wife. Please! Ba da bing! :lol:

Ah, my wife. She's such a bad cook, the files chipped in to fix the screen door! Hey!!!

Absolutely. He's a workin fool, afaik. And speaking of vids, he made the numero uno tree vid of all time, imo, Tahune Airwalk. :drink:

Well, I hope he hasn't tried to come back to his post after being busy and been turned off by the rampant speculation...

Totally fair point, Ive thought the same. But if he truly has an interest in this place, the extremely rocky start could be quite easily overcome.

Totally fair point, Ive thought the same. But if he truly has an interest in this place, the extremely rocky start could be quite easily overcome.
I'm not usually a gambling man but I will bet $100 that he either doesn't come back at all or he only comes back to post 1 more time with more links to his videos or Facebook page or somewhere else other than here. He will never be a contributor here.

If someone cares to take me up on my bet then we can make the proceeds payable to the Treehouse and put a 30 day time limit on it. :drink:

That would be fresh if he came back 1 more time to post links and didn't acknowledge the mini shit storm cuz he didn't read any of it, just stopped in to handle some more All About Me business. Lol!

Or the thing about running a Stihl saw over with his truck.
That was where I started to get the feeling, that he believed he was the god of treework.
Which we all know is blatantly untrue.

That would be Murphy.

7th deadly sin overload, all of them except for Gerry.

That 201 destruction video was interesting.

By any standards the first 201s were bloody awful, released too soon, absolutely gutless, a disaster for the brand with professionals.
(leading to the deification of the 200 which was good but unreliable)

I am sure that Stihl have social media guys monitoring what people are saying, but that was a bit more than a moany FB post.

Someone somewhere in the Stihl HQ showed that vid to a suit and explained who was doing it and that this was bad and we should pull our fingers out with the upgrade.

I doubt that was Reg’s intention, but I’m sure it had repercussions in Germany.

I have a guy who climbed for me here, he went back in the UK and now has a good little business going and has been moving heaven and earth to get the same Vermeer skidsteer as August, he’s a real fanboy of his. Vermeer must know about this influencer effect (remember the salesman “just passing by” with that really really big chipper one day)

So imo the destruction vid was a very worthwhile exercise.

PS, not sure about all this spurned lover stuff about people who don’t come around as much.

Last edited:
I have been following Blair Glenn for years on his YouTube channel. A really nice guy. Hope he continues to post.

I sure would like to post more here, but we are in full-blown tree mode now, so it gets hard. I do have some more articles coming out soon in TCI Mag and Arb Climber Mag, that I am looking forward to sharing with you guys and gals...all part of an upcoming book.

I have a guy who climbed for me here, he went back in the UK and now has a good little business going and has been moving heaven and earth to get the same Vermeer skidsteer as August, he’s a real fanboy of his. Vermeer must know about this influencer effect (remember the salesman “just passing by” with that really really big chipper one day)

Mick, You know August ended up buying that chipper right? And the reason he says he is loyal to Vermeer is all about how that dealer treats him. Sounds like good business to me. Every dealer that wants your business should either treat you that way or give you every indication that they wish they could treat you that way.

Back