New to the group (Blair Glenn)

I knew he bought the chipper Merle.

I am not sure of your point really. I was talking about the ”influencer“ effect rather than general customer service levels.

Oh my, what has happened in the last 12 hours since I last visited the House? Between the covid and the riots now unrest among the troops. Must be a planetary / cosmic mis-alignment, The world is going insane.

Lordy.

For real Gerry!!!

Wow, you guys. Corey, Mick, Dmc, Brian, Merle, Chris, Gerry... all you guys man... Burnham. Stig. Wow. Just wow.

You guys all know me. I am WAY overy obsessed with what eveyone is ever thinking about me. I absolutely venerate you guys because you seem like genuine men to me, which I have always very much wanted to be, but currently don't feel myself to be. Self-obsess much? :lol:

So anyways... yeah... videos... Man, this is so crazy, but I found myself having to step away (though I had never articulated it so brilliantly as, say, Corey did in those last 4 or 5 posts of his.)

Eastside gave us all GoPros and told us to go get as much footage as I could. I was all about it. I always had wanted to. Man it sucked. I hated it. So then Jake Rogers set up an Instagram account for me on my phone... he showed me how to use it. He explained what to do, and said that I should shoot as much stuff up there... hashtag Eastside, and all that... as I could. Man, I just about freaked out. There were all of these fake prostitute solicitations and stuff. Let me tell you guys... when a 27 year old swimsuit model from Latvia wants to get in touch with ME... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anyways: I killed my Instagram account. I put my GoPro in the closet. I found myself (to Stig's point) getting INSANELY vain. I found myself obsessing with checking my Insta stuff all the time... In short... I had just started to become someone I really didn't like.

People are nice. People will always validate you on your current trajectory. People will quite readily lie to you... assure you that you are an authentic fellow, and that it doesn't matter how many videos and picturew you post up of yourself... that it doesn't effect your personality or their regard for you... but it's a lie. It seems to me that we human beings are very simple creatures, and that the more we hear of our own voices... the more selfies we take... the more we see of ourselves in our own videos, or even in the videos that others make of us (GULP:O) ... the more we will almost inevitably tend to think of ourselves. "Hey... I'm really getting out there, ya know... people are digging me." :barf:

I know I'm a hypocrite cause I'm still gonna watch vids and stuff... maybe even make the odd one with Jake or whatever, but... wow, man, all you guys are right. I gotta say... all the vids... youtube and stuff... it's just not good for a guy. I hate to be THAT guy... the moralist or whatever who makes these blanket pronouncements, and is arrogant enough to assume that all of his personal pitfalls (vanity etc.) are just universal to humanity, but...

Ok, well let me back off from that position and just say that for me... I'm pretty sure... just for me anyways: My vid activity is just generally bad for my soul I'm pretty convinced.

If I had to make a prediction... I'd say that you guys can expect a ton less video and pics from me, and yet a lot more literary correspondence. Cause I really dig you guys. Thank you for not being millennials. :|::lol:

Wow, yes, you nailed what i was trying to get at. Though I never sensed any of the 'bad stuff' from your vids, I hope you keep em coming. I mean heck, you do have em listed on YT as 'comedy', :lol: not likely your head is getting too big.

Besides, isn't the vid life worth the trouble if a 27 y o swim suit model from Latvia wants a piece of you?!?! :/::lol:;)

There was a lot of priceless stuff there in your post, Jed. Thanks for putting your spin on it, we absolutely needed that perspective, imo.

In thinking a tad more about the vid questions raised, it seems to me one rule of thumb/sign of trouble re vid producing might be the dreaded GoPro-on-the-dashboard-filming-my-take-on-things-as-I-drive-my-pickup-truck-to-the-job. Lol. In fact, wish I had more talent and knew how to use my GoPro, I smell a scenario ripe for parody!

Jedidiah Smith- you so nailed it in your post. Doesn't mean that everyone feels that way but I think it could be very accurate for a lot of people .

Anywho, you mentioned millennials, we need some here in the House to keep it fresh and diverse. Why doncha get Jake to sign up, see what he thinks of the place.

Though, re Jake, August, Reg and other YouTubers with strong followings, perhaps when they post a vid and get a 100 or more comments, most of which are positive, over time they figure why post at the House and interact with 15 or 20 people there when they can interact with hundreds or even thousands of folks via youtube. Granted, the interaction is likely less deep but hey maybe that is preferred my some folks.

Different people like different stuff. Making videos might help keep the treework fresh. Might not be any more point in it than taking video, editing it, and posting it. Getting a couple bucks from youtube ads is icing on the cake.

It's not for me, not that anyone cares what I'm doing anyway. It's a distraction from the work at hand, and something else to deal with. I also don't enjoy editing videos, and I wouldn't use youtube even if I did.

Point is I wouldn't read too much into why people make video.

I speak the truth: I could break down crying to hear Corey and my hero Gerry speaking well about me, why mince the matter? Why lie? We care about what people think about us... Which leads me to the point, Corey, about Jake. Jake is 27 years old. Man, as long as I live, I don't think that I will EVER forget what Mick said to Sean when he was (as we are all wont to do, if we're honest) railing against one of the millenial kids he had hired to drag his brush. Mick said: "Remember: what he feels for you is something of a mixture between pity and contempt." Pure gold. Absolutely priceless.

When I got to Eastside from Davey... man... this is funny to tell... the dude (Jake) was just so very curious about me... he would see all of my crap lying on the floor of the shop and say, "Man, why is all of your stuff so... well... OLD?" I was laughing out loud. I was like, "Dude, have you looked at my face yet?"...

These kids man... they just have a different take on life, you know what I mean?... Instagram... youtube... TicToc... MarcoPolo... all this stuff the youngun's are into.. man... I'm thinking about that song by Bad Religion, "Quality or Quantity."

You see: The Treehouse is pure quality. Here we find aged men who implicitly understand the immesurable wealth God has given to the man who regularly urinates in one of the greatest aromatic theaters that has ever existed on the face of the Earth. I'm talking, of course, about the back of a chip truck. Leyland Cypress... Port Orford Cedar... Western Red Cedar... need I go on? The trouble today, is that men don't measure wealth properly. Bill Gates NEVER urinated in so glorious an expanse.

And that, my good friends, brings me to the wretched subject: Quantity. See: all of the young kids ALSO understand that all of the time taken to record, edit, upload and post (let us not forget the time spent LEARNING how to do all this stuff.:O) is very precious. So they justify it (and try to dodge the vanity bullet) with the idea that their precious time could, and I stress COULD, one day pan out into the sort of thing that could eventually provide some kind of a sustainable income. Corey: Jake's a good man, but, my guess is... if we could drag his ass in here... he wouldn't stay for long. He, Glen Blair, August, perhaps even Reg (though I would be LOATH to believe it! Forget that, I straight-up DON'T believe it) have chosen. They have chosen quantity.

But this place? The Treehouse?... man... we're dinosaurs, ya know? But SUCH dinosaurs! Where else can you find men who will experience pure elation at the prospect of getting to COMPLAIN about being completely covered in sap.:lol: Here, certainly, we find men (in addition to glorious Fiona!) who measure wealth in a vastly different way from the majority of humanity. Men who will lie on a stump, counting the rings, smelling the smells... wondering at the wind-checks filled with sap and creating pitch-wood.

And yeah, Ger... I gotta agree... there IS great hope for humanity... when I got back from that fallin gig, dumping fire-kill old growth into a ravine... this millenial at Eastside saw my fallin axe, COMPLETELY covered in pitch and absolutely jet black from the soot, and his eyes got big. He goes, "So, is that just from the sap from those firs covering that?" I was like, "Yeah, man it was nuts." He just stood there nodding his head: "Whoaaa."

Jed's a dang monster, pure and simple.

I don't even know where to start, but, great post, sir. :drink:

Shame the old codger Blair is missing out on all this juice......:big-dance2::big-laugh::dancin:

I ,.love reading you, when you go on like that.
Pure pleasure.
About urinating in the greatest aromatic theater etc, I surely though you meant the forest.
One of the best things about logging is, when you gotta go, you can just do it.
Don't even need to turn your back on anything, since you are alone.

That can misfire, of course.
One of my apprentices just let go and as he is enjoying the flow, this young femeale voice says: " When you are finished, can I pass ? ".
He looks up, and there is a young woman on horseback in front of him, he hadn't realized he was standing on a riding trail and having ear plugs on, hadn't heard her approach.

I laughed myself sick, when he told me.
Big tough former master sergeant caught out like that.

Every time I would go pee in the bushes OTJ, the ninja would call out in a high pitched, customer-sounding, female voice- "Sir, excuse me, Sir!!?!"

He got me like 20 different times like that.

Yeah, thanks very much Chris. I just can't do it, and absolutely NO judgement on the younger folk who dig it, ya know? Different strokes and that.

Corey: You are always way too nice to me, so I shall soon discount your opinion, lol.

Fi: Yer way too nice to me.

Stig: DEAD SERIOUS... When I wrote that about the back of the chip truck, I was picturing you "catching me out," (love the phrase, btw.) on not naming the forest over and above the wood chips. No lie.

Absolutely hilarious story, btw.

Kyle: Couldn't love Bad Religion more. I even agree with most of the stuff they can't stand about most American Christianity. "American Jesus," comes to mind. The frequency with wich BR songs get stuck in my head (all these years later, and I very seldom listen to them anymore) continually astonishes me.

Chris: So sorry I never got back to you... By "double-cut," all that is meant is what you have to do when your bar doesn't reach all the way through the tree: a phenomena experienced so seldom by us PNW's, that we need to come up with a special name for it. :lol:

Stig and all of the German fallers would have bean bored half to death. I dare say you would have been yourself. I had a super good time, and I learded a ton of stuff, namely, that I tend to make way too huge of "dog bites," when I am scribing around the tree to set up a big back-cut, and that I tend to torque weirdly on the handle-bars when I am cutting back around to my high-side resulting in a back cut that is lower on the side that I finish up on (the "high side,") than on the "low-side," that is, the more dangerous side that one cuts up first in order to never go back there. Clear as mud?

I also learned that a ton of guys (when making a face cut in a huge tree) like to crayon mark where the ultimate depth of the face cut is to end up, but then actually cut-up to a few inches shy (having left a 3" gap) in order to leave oneself a few inches to play with in cleanup. Seems like a lot of whittling to me, but then... I found that I TOTALLY SUCKED compared to Roy Hauser's faces. (He was the instructor. If you don't fall head over heals in love with Roy, btw, it only means that you are not a human being. One of the most wonderful people to ever be born of a woman.)

Last edited:
Yeah Roy seems legit fo sho.

Lol I was peeing in the back of chip truck today, which I rarely due as I prefer the bushes, and so I was treated to the smell of Eastern Red Cedar aromatics and very nice black birch peppermint scent, and of course Jed's prose popped to mind. :headbang: 8)

Yeah, thanks very much Chris. I just can't do it, and absolutely NO judgement on the younger folk who dig it, ya know? Different strokes and that.

Corey: You are always way too nice to me, so I shall soon discount your opinion, lol.

Fi: Yer way too nice to me.

Stig: DEAD SERIOUS... When I wrote that about the back of the chip truck, I was picturing you "catching me out," (love the phrase, btw.) on not naming the forest over and above the wood chips. No lie.

Absolutely hilarious story, btw.

Kyle: Couldn't love Bad Religion more. I even agree with most of the stuff they can't stand about most American Christianity. "American Jesus," comes to mind. The frequency with wich BR songs get stuck in my head (all these years later, and I very seldom listen to them anymore) continually astonishes me.

Chris: So sorry I never got back to you... By "double-cut," all that is meant is what you have to do when your bar doesn't reach all the way through the tree: a phenomena experienced so seldom by us PNW's, that we need to come up with a special name for it. :lol:

Stig and all of the German fallers would have bean bored half to death. I dare say you would have been yourself. I had a super good time, and I learded a ton of stuff, namely, that I tend to make way too huge of "dog bites," when I am scribing around the tree to set up a big back-cut, and that I tend to torque weirdly on the handle-bars when I am cutting back around to my high-side resulting in a back cut that is lower on the side that I finish up on (the "high side,") than on the "low-side," that is, the more dangerous side that one cuts up first in order to never go back there. Clear as mud?

I also learned that a ton of guys (when making a face cut in a huge tree) like to crayon mark where the ultimate depth of the face cut is to end up, but then actually cut-up to a few inches shy (having left a 3" gap) in order to leave oneself a few inches to play with in cleanup. Seems like a lot of whittling to me, but then... I found that I TOTALLY SUCKED compared to Roy Hauser's faces. (He was the instructor. If you don't fall head over heals in love with Roy, btw, it only means that you are not a human being. One of the most wonderful people to ever be born of a woman.)

Look back to this, Jed.

And your reply...

You learned this years ago, old son.
;)

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks B, that was a time-machine excursion, for sure. Yeah... I don't really cut big trees. I'm runnin a 36" reduced weight Stihl bar on my Madsen's ported 395 now, and have fallen in love. So... literally... it's probably, maybe 15 or 20 times a year that that bar won't reach all the way through the face... and when it don't... I'll usually just :O chase my cuts and eventually knacker in deep enough to get a good clean-out. Then, for the back, I'll usually just do a kerf deep scribe-around so that I can just bore in the 12 inches or whatever I need to set up the low-side so that I don't ever have to go back there; then, basically just chip-clean back around to the high-side, flip the saw over and finish up my hinge from there. (The safer "high-side")

It's only when the tree starts to leave before I think it will, and before I'm cut up, that I tend to start diving down as I'm hammering through to try to produce an evener and prettier hinge. Small potatoes, but attestation to the fact that it is much better (imho) to take the time to bring the hinge in evenly FROM BOTH SIDES at the same time.

It is absolutely ridiculous that an arborist who is not a professional timber-cutter would even sweat this stuff... it's just that it's so much fun!:|:

Btw, Burnham: I am really overdue in telling you that I am EXTREMELY in your debt for all of the ways that you have helped me out over the years.

Corey: Peeing on Black Birch!!! The irreverence! You East Coasters have all the fun.

Haha! I could get used to this peeing in the chip truck thing:headbang:

Glad to have been a little help to you, Jed. The inescapable fact is, you have grown into a top tier climber and cutter. You did that yourself. Hat's off, old son.

Blair! Where u at?? I'd like to hear even a bit more about you!

Back