New to the group (Blair Glenn)

I too was pretty dang impressed by the ol' tree-prop trick put to really good use.

Absolutely amazing, btw, how many youngsters would never dream of doing it.

He does have a pretty good size you tube following. He can have hundreds and sometime thousands of comments every time he puts out a new video. He does try to answer all of the ones he can. So he's probably pretty busy with that too. May be it I don't know.

Not everybody has to be here everyday guys lol. This place seriously is just like a corner bar tho for most... for me it's taken the place of my favorite haunts!!

Making videos and posting them for all to worship (OK, I'll admit that's a pretty harsh characterization :)), from a pure working man's perspective (i.e. mine:)), is ego stroking to some degree or another.

Not to say I have disagreement with those who choose to do so..I just don't really get it.

Some might say..."But B..., you've put up any number of pictures of your tree work and other associated stuff online...what's the difference?".

My answer is...never have I put up any images anywhere but here, and never a single video...a tiny little arborist forum with under 400 members ever, and less that 50 that are active. Quite a bit different than having a Youtube following/channel.

Still...some might point out and I could not really disagree, it still ends up as ego stoking at some level, doesn't it :D.

Last edited:
When he didn't engage after the 3rd or 4th Welcome, I thought it wouldn't be suprising if we don't hear from him again.

True, he could be busy with vids or whatever else, but then even more so, why post up here in the first place with a huge paragraph all about ME. Nobody who is humble and down to earth with a normal sized ego carries on like that right off the bat. And asking for something from us, to watch and respond to his vids. If you think about it, it doesn't seem like an approach from someone who would have any long term interest in this place.

And, while I'm ranting, would it be fair to say that having some sizable level of youtube following definetly seems to change folks and their outlook? August never checks in any more, and from what little I've followed his recent offerings, because they just aren't appealing to me unlike his much earlier efforts, he seems to be heavily into vidding and live streaming his take on the world. It seems ultra boring to me. Could be just me. Maybe he has thousands of followers and they are getting good feedback off each other and it just isn't relevant to a tree forum anymore.

And sir Reg. Seems to have said fook off to the House. Maybe MB's passing caused him to lose faith. But his vids, which I do still watch and dig the tree work parts, are full of long ass sections on his view of the world and all sorts of boring chit and also him lashing out, in his low key way, about youtube commenters who are negative to him. August and Reg, solid tree guy and bit of a legendary tree guy, respectively imo, their non tree work-related material simply is not interesting. At all. Again, maybe its me missing the boat, but these former strong contributing members seem to have gone some degree of Hollywood on us. Whatever they may have found appealing here in the past, they no longer do. Which is OK of course, but it definetly says something.

Hey maybe they are making money off of views. If so, that would certainly be a compelling reason to focus on youtube. But it still doesn't help make their non-treework content wothwhile.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMc
Another thing is that, for me anyway, treevids have changed. Back just a few years ago when they were a newer concept, I would devour any of them most every day after work. These days though, while I still frequently find some worth checking out, so many others just have no appeal. Either they seem totally repetitive like August's or they are just some other tree guy with a camera on his helmet. One example is Travor. After you have watched a few of his 'raw tree work' vids, there really no reason to watch anymore cuz who can get worked up again about seeing him arrive at a job, walk around a lot, take plenty of time to get set up, smoke yet another cigarette, check his phone once more, climb up and set up a bunch of rings, make some cuts etc etc. That ship has sailed.

And then I see he also does live streams, you can type in a question or comment to him and maybe get him to answer. Who really cares about something like that? Again, maybe it is just me. Sorry for the rant

When i made my own vids, it was not about monetizing, or followers etc. Nothing all that exciting. It was jist more about sharing the work we did with those can understand it. Record things we did for review and refining. Sharing our work with clients and perspective clients. Boring it can be. Long and drawn out. Glad i have a record of it. Id rather not add it to my careers and ambitions.

Tree vids have changed for sure @cory
I have no issue with the disappeared, it shouldn’t be a chore to come here, if you don’t fancy it, you don’t fancy it.

As for the vids, I tend to look and see how long they are before committing.
I will watch August’s and others on here and instagram If they pop up but I wouldn’t be bothered to subscribe. There’s just so much of it these days that little really stirs my interest. I’m glad people do it, but I’d never bother myself.
Partly from laziness and partly from the rarity of anything spectacular to film

I wonder if I did a search on my posts here and Arbtalk how many are actually about tree work and how many are about other stuff, politics, gardens, wildlife, women I fancy, dogs, etc.

I'm having trouble finding many tree vids that can keep my attention anymore. The earlier vids are still pretty good but if I never see another crane video I'll be happy. I know it takes a different mindset and I don't mind doing it or watching it in real life but the vids are pretty boring to me. I still dig through youtube looking for something to learn though. I enjoy Blairs vids when he's talking about some of the trees that aren't in my part of the world. I find different interesting.

I wonder if I did a search on my posts here and Arbtalk how many are actually about tree work and how many are about other stuff, politics, gardens, wildlife, women I fancy, dogs, etc.

This.

Off topic stuff here at the treehouse is very often completely awesome, one of the biggest reasons I've stayed here all these years. I've learned so much from you folks at the TH. But watching an 'unboxing vid' from August receiving another baseball hat from another random tree service?? Yeah nah. And I don't care about watching what his kids do. It just doesn't translate. Treework is interesting to me. But otherwise, these people's lives are not. At least not on video. It is a rare character whose life activities are of interest to complete strangers. These tree guys who try to be artsy fartsy with their vids, yeah nah. Like Lawrence Schulz- he's made some great tree vids, including that old one about a day in the life showing him checking into his municipal city tree job in the morning and then what the rest of his day was like. That works one time. But him, off the job, with that searching look as he walks toward the camera, or looking into the sunset and walking away from the camera, etc- just no. You're not an actor, model or celebrity. No one cares.

Last edited:
So August isn't around any more? Surprise, surprise, surprise. I believe I mentioned something predicting that a couple years ago, before my last involuntary hiatus. :bye:

And I completely agree with Cory. This guy isn't coming back around unless it's to promote his YouTube channel. He has no interest in participating, only soliciting new viewers.

Re Blair- TH is often likened to a cool local pub, regulars sitting about shooting the chit. Imagine a new patron walking up to a group chatting, shouldering in and leading off with, "A bit about me:":/::barf:

• Haha
Short visit indeed.
Well, we already have one video primadonna here, that should be enough.

• Haha
He could be busy too. I watched a bunch of his videos Friday, and he seems to have a pretty full plate. I'd reserve judgment til the course of time reveals the facts.

Back