Mini Skids

When I got mine last year, they had raised the list price to $3,299, but gave it to me at $2999 (and that was before I negotiated the clamshells with it). If you notice in the actual webpage, the price for most (except the Bobcat; always more) is still $3,299. If anything, I imagine you could sweet talk Michele into giving it to you for that price.

Add-on: Just noticed they've priced the Bobcat the same now.

Looks like i need to start welding up grapples :lol:

Reminds me of a story about my dad. He used to build docks at the lake where we lived in New Jersey. He had a good reputation for building a sturdy long-lasting dock but when he was in his late 50's he more or less gave it up. One day a neighbor asked if him if he could build one for him and my dad said he wasn't in the dock building business any more. The neighbor shook his head and said that's too bad because he just got a quote from a local builder for $3,500. My dad perked right up and replied, "I just went back into the dock building business!"

I finally looked up BMG. Holy crap! They are getting $3600 for their grapple!
Hopefully it's way better than the Blue diamond or whatever piece of junk we are using. I've seen a couple different versions of BD and they were all bad.

I was thinking for the actual bushings and stuff.

And my brother in law built a cnc router, so I've been telling him that he's gotta help me do a flame table :lol:

I just got home from checking out a couple new mini loaders, the Avant 423 and 528. The 423 is nice but way too small IMO for serious tree work. The 528 will lift 800 lbs more, and lift it higher and further out. This is important if you're putting the debris anywhere except into a pile on the ground. The 528 is 45" wide and weighs about 3000 lbs, and I like the control layout better than the smaller machine.

The only obvious issue is the plastic covers on the front of the machine. A local guy already broke his once from limbs hanging down and poking through. And the hydraulic oil cap access and electrical fuse access are both at the front of the machine in the damage zone, the fuses especially are completely unprotected. Fortunately there's room to fab up a couple skid plates and bolt them on the front of the machine over the thin plastic body panels.

Edited to add: The only difference between the 528 and 530 is the 530 has a 2 speed transmission. Dealer says the 420 (now 423) and 528 are the most popular for tree guys. Many who bought the 420 2-3 years ago are now trading up to the 528.

Last edited:
In five and a half years, I've only had one mishap with the plastic covers and it was totally my fault. I dropped a big heavy awkward log while trying to stuff it in the overloaded chip truck. Never had a problem with the fuse box. Definitely go with the 528.

Another benefit to the Avant 528 is that even though it's over the 25hp threshold, they somehow managed to get themselves exempt from tier 4 emissions requirements. So no regen or other fuel sucking crap on the engines. Just speculating, but maybe that's why it only goes 8 mph. With different gearing it could run 12-15mph easily. But if I had to choose I'd prefer the slower machine without the emissions crap.

While researching the BMG grapple I discovered my local dealer also sells another brand of articulating loaders called Giant (rebranded as BMG). Since I'm going there to look at attachments tomorrow I might as well check out the loader as well. Specs look similar to the Avant.

Just got back from the local Giant/BMG distributor. The guy was a real piece of work. After telling me how great the Giant was compared to the Avant, he told me he has nothing in stock but is getting 3 machines in January. So I switched to discussing attachments. The 'universal' mount doesn't fit Avant so nothing he has will fit. Then instead of helping me find solutions, he keeps going on about how terrible Avant is. He lied about Giant being made in America (it's not) and how the Avant will have all European fittings, engine, etc. I reminded him they both have the Kubota 1105 and he still wouldn't quit badmouthing Avant. So I just walked out.

Back