Minimum Viable Chipper?

lxskllr

Treehouser
I asked earlier about those little homeowner chippers, and it got vetoed. Still thinking about chippers though, and wondering what would be an acceptable semi pro chipper. IOW, something that would be good for *my* level of engagement, meaning a quality tool, but not beating it up day in day out on pro jobs. I was looking at this...

Would something like that be good? I really doubt it's something I'd do, but I could have a chipper for my stuff, and maybe do neighbor's brush for a fee to recover some of the cost. Seems like that would be a good service. Charge a couple hundred to chip their stuff, and they could use it around the yard. That's a little cheaper than a local rental place will rent a chipper for, and it would be zero labor on their part aside from putting the chips where they want them.

that one seems decent, my buddy bought a 12" Vermeer recently, I think he likes it, although they are way to expensive even used (he paid 22K IIRC, and it has like 3000hrs)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That one I linked looks like it's about $15k locally. I didn't do any shopping around, so it might be a bit more or less. I just wanted an idea of what kind of price range I was looking at.

I would say Bearcat are a bit of a joke, in Europe at least.

A chipper like that would be a bit ball ache IMO.
Purely from personal experience I’d say a 30/35 hp minimum.

Single roller as well. Crap.

Just get a chuck and duck, and be done with it. Turns brush into chips, and is big enough to actually do work. I got mine for $1100, it has paid for itself so many times over. Makes the small disk chippers look like they are broken in comparison. If you are going to run a small chipper, they can't be beat imo.

Chuck and Ducks are dangerous AF, run by dangerous people.

I paid $2450, 14 years ago. Runs better than when purchased.
V8 318 turns a pto, turns a belt, turns the drum and fan.
Destroys brush.
I beat on it with my mini, feeding it.

I chip in short sleeves with piles I'dexpect employees to feed, to make a point.

When I'm trying to do production chipping, i always wears long sleeves, face shield, and plugs and muffs, regardless of the chipper.

Chuck and Ducks are dangerous AF, run by dangerous people.

I paid $2450, 14 years ago. Runs better than when purchased.
V8 318 turns a pto, turns a belt, turns the drum and fan.
Destroys brush.
I beat on it with my mini, feeding it.

I chip in short sleeves with piles I'dexpect employees to feed, to make a point.

When I'm trying to do production chipping, i always wears long sleeves, face shield, and plugs and muffs, regardless of the chipper.

What point are you making? I don’t get it.

C&D = lots of power & speed, very capable machine that is great for pro trim jobs and even pine tree removals. Hard woods slow them down, but they will eat 4-6"dia. 20ft long softwood limbs in about 3-5 seconds if maintained properly.

Our 4cyl diesel 8" C&D was down one day and had to rent a 6" Vermeer 700 $190 for 4hr $260/day, V-twin gas, single feed roller. We had piles of brush staged and it can keep one or 2 guys constantly busy as fast as it is as long as each guy feeds it one 3" diameter max branches. It is pretty slow chipping larger than 4", leaves and twigs plug up the feed roller, and having only one roller it often doesn't feed while the roller slips and grinds away at the branch.

I'd be happy to have a Vermeer 700 for around the house use as my only alternative is my 10hp combo drum/flail chipper for 3" & smaller, but a used C&D is the best bang for the buck.

Or a 6" bandit. I was impressed by the one I rented.
My Vermeer 1250 sprung a hydraulic leak and we needed to finish the chipping on the job. Rented it the next town over and it worked a charm. Rarely chip any bigger than 8" in my 1250 anyway.

I had a Vermeer BC1200 chuck and duck from probably the 80's was a monster. It was about 30 yrs old when I got it. Ran strong as could be, big 6 cylinder Ford engine...but it was like releasing the Kraken when it ran. It would strip a 20' limb at Warp 9 from your hands and monkey flip your ass if you weren't careful. Totally dangerous if you were not diligent.

The BC935 I have now is SO much better...takes up to 9" limbs (we only go as high as 6" usually) and has 2 intake rollers...a controlled feeding of the chipper. Lots safer.

The 935 was used about 5 years ago when I paid $6000 for it. I had taken the BC1200 to get it straightened out (had bearing issues, etc.)...the mechanic basically said, "you got to be kidding"...consider this...and I got the BC935. We have gotten great service from it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Was that price exceptionally cheap, or could anyone expect to find something similar in that range?

As much as I hate to say it but the Vermeer 6" is nice for 4" and smaller but you really have to cut any crotches that are 1" or bigger or it will jam up like no other torture device you have ever seen.

My Australian 150MX Chipstar is just right for up to 6" stuff.
Hydraulic auto feed one roller
Lift and crush lever to lift the feed roller if a big bit won't feed on its own, lifts the feed roller, stuff the bit in then drop it and brrmmm off it goes
Separate lever to pump lift the entire feed roller assembly if something gets stuck, and to access the knife/anvil area when setting the gap
27hp Hatz diesel
1.2 tonne

But it fits my niche, knowing what you need to get your kind of work done is key.
Access for maintenance is crucial, crucial.
Larger bits get taken or left for firewood. So far so good.
My next wish is an Isuzu 3way tipper with a small crane...sigh.

Last edited:
It would strip a 20' limb at Warp 9 from your hands and monkey flip your ass if you weren't careful. Totally dangerous if you were not diligent.

Mine was like that too, and then i read on here about shimming the anvil up and then resetting the blades. Completely turns it into a different machine. I'll post a video of mine feeding sometime, it flat eats, but now does it relatively calmly rather than instantly.

Lol honestly it just gently pulls the limb in. I managed to kill the engine trying to feed it 6" thick oak, but it would eat 4 inch just beautifully. It chips so well now that I'm going ahead on my winch/ crane build for it.

I got a Bandit 65xp with a couple factory upgrades. I love it.
The only times I wish I could chip bigger wood is when working with conifers, willow, tree of heaven, and other stuff that’s not so good to burn around here.

Mine was like that too, and then i read on here about shimming the anvil up and then resetting the blades. Completely turns it into a different machine. I'll post a video of mine feeding sometime, it flat eats, but now does it relatively calmly rather than instantly.
I imagine that also makes a difference between it being a chipper and a brush shooter. My boss finally sharpened and adjusted the blades on the C&D, I'll have to see how many long unchipped sticks make it through. I used to feel bad when someone wanted our chips dumped because they were not chips.

I imagine that also makes a difference between it being a chipper and a brush shooter. My boss finally sharpened and adjusted the blades on the C&D, I'll have to see how many long unchipped sticks make it through. I used to feel bad when someone wanted our chips dumped because they were not chips.
I got a truck load of chips from my buddy (who I think had a c&d at the time), and I agree, 1: the chips are huge, and 2: its about 15% sticks, and useless crap

Yeah, cause they aren't set up right if it's like that. Mine was the same for a long time, then i read up on shimming the anvil. Basically it simply makes the machine take a smaller bite, which allows the motor to keep up, and it makes smaller chips too. I'll get pics of that too. Honestly i almost want to shim it a touch more, and slow it down even more.

I like it when it spits out big wood if it bogs too much so it doesn't stall. I don't know if slightly dull blades do that or what, but I noticed it often before the blades got sharpened. I've never seen that chipper stall. It did get to a point where it would refuse anything over 3-4", but the old blades didn't seem all that dull, so it could have been the shape of the edge changing over time like a roll or slight bevel on the flat side.

I had a Vermeer BC1200 chuck and duck from probably the 80's was a monster. It was about 30 yrs old when I got it. Ran strong as could be, big 6 cylinder Ford engine...but it was like releasing the Kraken when it ran. It would strip a 20' limb at Warp 9 from your hands and monkey flip your ass if you weren't careful. Totally dangerous if you were not diligent.

The BC935 I have now is SO much better...takes up to 9" limbs (we only go as high as 6" usually) and has 2 intake rollers...a controlled feeding of the chipper. Lots safer.

The 935 was used about 5 years ago when I paid $6000 for it. I had taken the BC1200 to get it straightened out (had bearing issues, etc.)...the mechanic basically said, "you got to be kidding"...consider this...and I got the BC935. We have gotten great service from it.

Perhaps you are mistaken?

I think you are describing a vermeer 1250?

The one with the cutting unit off set and feed rollers tensioned by horizontal coil springs and a cable/ pulley system.

They like many chippers, are absolutley dependent on correct blade to anvil gap.

Here is a picture of a diesel version but I only worked with and on petrol models

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913-072141_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20210913-072141_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 4
Back