milling thread

Thanks, I guess we'll have to play around and see. Seems like diesel or bar oil might leave a stain. I've got a big pile of white pine logs I'm working thru so nothing too special.

Curious if water keeps the blade cooler, and therefore sharper, or if it is not a common problem.

If it is species specific, is it about both pitch and hardness?

According to Wood-Mizer, it's just for pitch issues, not cooling. I was told that windshield washer has enough of a solvent effect for most situations.

Pull or push? I find pulling the saw through the log easier on my back, and switch it up as I go through the log, with the exit cut being push. There's some safety concerns with pulling I guess, but you'd have to be remarkably careless to hurt yourself doing that.

With the small winch, push/pull shouldn't be as critical for your comfort zone. You don't have to maintain a constant effort with all your boddy for a long time, just turn the handle as needed and the thing does the job for you. You have to regulate the system though, so attention is involved, but not strength (less at least).

I didn't notice the winch on his setup. Should have. I've seen it before. I do mine manually. Sufficient for the amount of milling I do.

Background and question for the bandsawmill users (woodmizer, lucas, etc..). Why does my blade bend on fresh cut spruce leaving 1/4" valleys and peaks when it stays straight on oak, cherry and maple. Tension is the same, widths of cut (number of teeth in the wood) are close and log diameters are close. Cutting with or without water does not seem to matter.
Thanks.

Spruce sucks on a bandmill. Even under the best circumstances it's hard to saw.
Thanks for the confirmation. I might stop taking spruce to the mill and propose the dumpster option to clients. Seems to be more hassle than it is worth. Here is some cedar that was enjoyable to mill

Attachments

• 20220526_142037.jpg
    20220526_142037.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 4
I'd like to come into a nice cedar log. I don't have anything specific in mind, but it's nice wood. Spruce is nice for construction products. Very light, and easy to work. I'm just using a chainsaw mill, and am not going for "pretty" with the stuff I make, so the spruce matches my standards pretty well.

Here is the worst of the beams I was running on the mill. Being further from side seemed to drive straighter as one of the surfaces ended flat/ not quite wavy. The cedar stash is growing too.

Attachments

• 20220528_195135.jpg
    20220528_195135.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220528_195201.jpg
    20220528_195201.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 8
I've been doing a lot of milling but not taking pics for some reason. Today a quick cut up on a 9' long 26" dia ash. I had to replace the fitting and valve on the aux oiler. The fitting snapped and the ball valve got lubed up so much that the vibration would open the valve wide open.

20220617_121456.jpg

Also, detriment to running a much longer bar than the log? For example milling a 20” log with a 36” bar…

Back