milling thread

At the risk of stating the obvious, how about a tarp or two, a couple pieces of bamboo, and some paracord?

A good canopy is not just a shade, but also a reflector. It will cool your site.

An experienced cs miller said milling in the rain is best. A sprinkler would help, too.

Regarding a tarp, any port in a storm.

I have been using a large patio umbrella, and now that I cleaned up my attic I have a beach umbrella and another large patio umbrella. (I knew I had them, somewhere)

Got some bits and pieces that were missing from the MS660. I think I have it tuned up pretty good. I'm going to put it to work on milling the 28" and under logs. I ordered some skip 404 25' roll and it took months, the dealer also ordered 375 skip for some reason as well. Finally arrived. I only have a breaker at my GF's place, so I had to drop the hammer on this loop.

20210710_114559.jpg 20210710_142643.jpg

That's a nice looking piece of wood. Do you all do that; save bits and pieces of wood you find on jobs? I have a bunch I keep for I don't even know what. They just look interesting, and if I were more creative, I could probably do something with them. I tend to gravitate towards dead wood with interesting cavities and shapes. I also like cedar, cause cedar! Smells great, and has a nice color.

I save some for guys I know. But I rarely keep some for projects. Most the time, i have enough projects on my plate.
Just wanted to try my hand at it. My step dad made me a walnut stock for my daisy bb gun when i was a kid. Stock got broken during a family trip. Something I will always cherish in memory. That gun is still at my parents house entertaining young cousins and great grand children.

What's the goal for the winch; pulling slabs into the bed? If so, a C shaped baseplate to hook the slab, and an anchor bolted to the bed should work.

I'd like to have the winch moveable, to easily mount it in different places. The winch worked really well sliding the slabs onto the truck. Just need to fine tune it.

The boards will be stacked and dried, and will be for sale. May be I might make something for the GF when they are dry.

I stacked some of the smaller milled boards, of course by the trampoline.

Gabrielle is winching up this slab, calculated at 300lbs. It would be a lot easier with a more centered pull and tailgate ramps.

20210724_163848.jpg 20210724_163905.jpg
FB_IMG_1627223927107.jpg

Last edited:
Not ‘really’ milling thread though it was milled, and likely wood turning thread, but I’ll drop it here. Got a call from the guys at the tool exchange saying they were selling a bunch of stuff from a wood shop on consignment. Fellow had some milled wood, but they don’t have the space or inclination to take it.
I went and looked at it Wednesday and took a sample piece home to turn.

On Saturday I went back and bought the load of cherry from the couple who are leaving their home to move to a retirement facility five hours away in Richmond in order to be closer to their children. He especially was sad to be losing so much in their downsizing. This cherry was milled from a tree that had to be taken down. It had grown for many years in their yard. I turned this bowl from the chunk I had taken home, so they can place it inside the door to their assisted-living apartment to drop their keys in when they get ‘home’. A little piece of their Delaware home to take with them on their journey south.
. 8406CF0B-9D0E-4923-8EFF-207611E46A24.jpeg
5C6852FE-20DE-452A-93F4-3E8498FB6359.jpeg
8E97086E-57B6-4DAE-A8E0-B558BE7F9A1F.jpeg
BBA8674A-B069-430A-B1B9-FBA66DFAAC70.jpeg

Is that where the log fell, or did you have it set there so you could use that slope to your advantage?

Back