Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Never

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Only when I think I might need one

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Only when I know I will need one

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
Idk if this was mentioned or asked before, but, how many of you EDC knives and also carry multitools?

I EDC a SAK but despite it's extreme usefulness, I have the urge to carry a multitool/Leatherman for the sake of the pliers/wirecutters. The main thing stopping me is it's bulk.

I mentioned my Swiss Champ. That's my favorite knife of all, and is a multitool, but not so much for heavy work. It's better suited to light and delicate work. Electronics, manipulating small cordage, woodworking...

When I'm geared up to do work, I carry a leatherman. I lost my original PST, but now carry a foldable version unfolded in a sheath. It has almost no tools, but it does have the fullsize pliers, and that's what I really want. All the other tools are bettered by my other knives I'm carrying. The problem with the leatherman(at least the original) was the steel was too hard. I broke almost every tool in my original PST. Generally hard steel is a good thing, but I abuse these portable tools to make magic happen. It's the tool I have with me, so that's what gets used/abused. Swiss army uses fairly soft steel. They can deform, but be knocked back in shape. The blades dull fast, but they also sharpen fast. The leatherman just snaps off. Dunno if their more modern tools use a different steel, but the original models were only really good for the pliers, but those pliers were compact, and could do a lot of work. Worth it just for that.

I lost my original PST, but now carry a foldable version unfolded in a sheath. It has almost no tools, but it does have the fullsize pliers, and that's what I really want.

Link?

I just looked on amazon to see what leathermans were available, and found this...

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/LEATHERMAN-61010103H-Leatherman-PST/dp/B000065UE9/ref=sr_1_127?keywords=leatherman&qid=1664625462&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2LjIyIiwicXNhIjoiNS45MSIsInFzcCI6IjUuNjAifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-127

No price, so they may not make it anymore. When I got it in the early 90s, there were only two models available; this, and a jumbo version. There were a lot of problems with the early ones, but it was still amazing having fullsize pliers on your belt. They have a huge lineup now, and I'd suggest going to walmart, or even better, a knife shop if you have one to checkout the various models. Open it up, and get a feel for the tools, and what the pliers feel like in hand. The originals really bit into your hand when you cranked down with the wire cutters, but you just got to cut a wire with something on your belt, so you dealt with it, right? There may be a better model now, but you have to see what you like, and match it to tasks you expect to do more often.

I'd also be interested in seeing the SwissTool(full size folding pliers tool) in person due to my positive experience with other Swiss Army branded tools, but I've never used one, and can't vouch for it.

edit:
The SwissTool...

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004YVB1/ref=twister_B075SC3F3D?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Good reviews, but I don't always trust amazon reviews. I like the way it looks, and I trust Swiss Army, but I'd want to see/feel it in person.

Last edited:
I bought this 619 buck woodmate in 1988 the Walmart had them for 20.00 IMG_20221011_145049557.jpg
It's been great I should've bought several they are going for good money now for pristine one's.

My friend just got out the army he bought this Benchmade at a px in Afghanistan IMG_20221022_125650365_HDR.jpg
Nice knife I don't care for the serrations though.

Not a fan of serrated knives myself. They're made for cutting cord, but they leave a nasty finish on synthetic line, and don't provide much more cutting power than a normal edge when used with a cutting board. They're better suited for cutting natural fiber lines, or specific rescue use, where you need to cut rope/webbing on the fly, and making it pretty doesn't matter.

I bought this for my oldest brother IMG_20221024_171520923.jpg
He visited from Florida for the first time in many years IMG_20221024_171543166.jpg
He likes vintage looking knives
It's off amazon handmade from a company called hotsteel
5" High carbon steel took a great edge.

I used to buy a Kabar scout knife from Brand Names back in the 70's and 80's. I think they were 8 or 10 bucks. Kind of clunky. Wenger Standard Issue till they merged with Victorinox. I have a Victorinox Pioneer back up if I wear out or loose my current knife. I think they quit making that model too.

I use it every day. Slim in the pocket. Knife, screwdrivers, awl, bottle and can openers. Small screwdriver will work on phillips. Like not having my pants on without it.

KA-BAR 50% off sale
That's a heckuva sale. I see a number of knives I don't need but would be fun to have

I'd like the USMC fighting knife, but it isn't something I have much real use for.
Great knives but that's the one knife I never owned I do have a 5" pilots version around here somewhere
I just never needed a full size combat knife
About 4-6" knives are handy for any I use them for.

I carry the pilots knife every day to work. It's my ground knife, and general beater blade. I don't keep it very sharp. My main use is probing the ground, and cutting out sod plugs. It also marks position on the ground, and I use it hook a tape off to for measuring.

Back