its time for me to upgrade my style.

I do that all the time.
Same when we use a bull rope as a pull line.
But, I feel like I'm being naughty every time I do it.

Kind of like when I'm cross dressing.

I do that all the time.
Same when we use a bull rope as a pull line.
But, I feel like I'm being naughty every time I do it.

Kind of like when I'm cross dressing.

If you do them at the same time, kindly keep your pictures to yourself, please, and don't mar the integrity of the Work Pictures thread...:lol:

I was thinking about this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mL7n5mEmXJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm a day or two late getting in on this discussion, but I have a question pertaining to the scenario you describe, Burnham. Why not just use a figure-8 and descend the same rope you tie at the top until you reach the point where you are going to make the next cut, set safety, set 2nd tie-in, unclip from 8, make cut...repeat....I'm just wondering why the need to descend Drt for a few feet just to make another cut? :?

Scott, I agree with you (and with Wally, re the mixing of rigging and life lines :)). I was only trying to offer Paul a method to avoid the rope on rope arrangement he was using, but otherwise fit with the system he was employing.

The thing I see that's bad about rappeling on the pull rope is that we regularly put those lines in situations that can really punish them. Of course it's strong enough, so long as it hasn't been compromised. If you are a zealot about inspecting their condition after every single pull, then fine, rap on it. But that's a pretty big if in most operations.

Keeping a lanyard around the spar is a good idea, too.

Last edited:
When you top, drop, and rig redwoods for a living, you need something to support the weight of your massive balls. I could see it... :lol:

I remember early days of climbing...the 70's...we had to spur down a tree once we did our work in the top. One of my first tasks was to drag a fuel hose up about 70 feet into big bull pines and spray surrounding trees with a diesel/pesticide mix to control pine beetles. I have NO idea if it worked at all but the boss said do it. August heat, diesel, me a green climber, it was awful. Did not even know what a life line really was. I spurred up, sprayed as much as I could and spurred back down. I hate spurring down. There's more to the story but that's enough for now.

Point is, since then, there have been a few times way up in a tree (maybe 80 feet...not bigball Jerry 250 feet... :D ) that I have almost dropped my lifeline as I set it to DRT down. The sudden realization that I would have to spur down was a heart racer...I only run one lanyard so I would have to get creative with the lanyard tail to pass a limb. It was especially a heart racer if I had ascended the rope (no spurs), lanyarded in as I changed the TIP and then almost dropped the lifeline. I have not done that yet but it would be a bad day.

Anybody ever been way up a tree, no spurs, and lose their lifeline? I guess if you have a groundie they have to shoot a throw line up and let you bring up the lifeline. But if you are working solo and lose that line and no spurs...not good.

Drop your climb line? Really??

Maybe I'm too...I don't actually know what the right word is; maybe scared, anal, smart, or perhaps lucky :)...to EVER let that happen to me.

Whenever I needed to be handling my climb line/descent rope up in the tops for re-deploy, I always, I mean ALWAYS, put in a overhand slipknot near to me, and carabinered the rope to my harness. Before anything else regarding re-deploy.

What the eff?? Why would you do otherwise? For true, it's your LIFELINE, fer gad's sakes. Protect it, keep it close, never lose it.

Frankly, I treated control of any rope I was using aloft the same way. And I am sure that I am being accurate in reporting that I never lost a rope. I have a very hard time imagining any climber doing otherwise.

Last edited:
Back