INFLATION how's it hitting you?

I remember penny and nickel candy from the mid sixties, it was awesome!

Prices sucketh.
Food up. Fuel up. Parts up. Oil. Getting parts sucks often.
I did a lot to prep for this. But, still bites into the bottom line. Then add about a month of lost work before Christmas. Yep.

Welcome to the rest of the world, where stuff costs real money.
Think y'all have been in a bubble. Reminds me of the Ukraine in the early 90's diesel 10 cents a gallon, condensed milk 20 cents a tin, potatoes 5 roubles per kilo- (110 roubles per dollar) not any more!
In case this is interpreted as a bit harsh, disclaimer, posting before coffee...I take no responsibility. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Income hasn't kept up with the rate inflation since the late 1980s. And I base that on the ability of a wage earner to buy a home in Ft. Bragg.

In 1975 a bare residential lot in Ft. Bragg could be had for 3 to 5 thousand dollars. Heck I had that in the bank. But instead I bought a motorcycle. It was far more cool.

By the mid 1990s, the cost of a bare lot in Ft. Bragg quadrupled, and wages were stagnant. Commodities were still reasonably affordable.

Today a bare residential lot in Ft. Bragg is going for about $200,000. Close to schools double or triple that.

Beyond that... the current rate of inflation is even accelerating.

How the heck do you stop this horse?

We don't have inflation as such.
Some stuff is getting more expensive, because of lack of materials.
Used car prices are skyrocketing.

On the other hand I saw really fine 15 piece bundles of white asparagus in the market yesterday selling for $2.29.
Flown in from Peru.
Something about that is not right.

I bought 2 bundles, gotta keep that carbon footprint up.

Wifey needed some shipping type labels...$10.69 for this. Unbelievable. Part of this of course is the Alaska tripple gouge but I'm getting more and more perturbed.

Attachments

• IMG_20220122_162629_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220122_162629_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
It's not like that has ever been any different in any society at any time in human history. No reason to think it will ever be different, either. Might as well get over it.

I hear you, Stephen. And you too, Scott. You both are not wrong...at least not completely :).

I was looking at it from a much more philosophical perspective of human nature...just saying those with power will always keep the best for themselves, and that will never change. Don't expect it to...at least I won't. Y'all can do so if it makes you happier, but I don't see how it possibly could since I believe you will always be disappointed.

Just my opinion, worth every bit you paid for it :D.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As I recall, the late 60s and 70s were good times for the working man. I base that on the ability to buy a home, property, and new truck, all on wages. Sure we had to assume the debt but everything was affordable. Least for those with work ethic, anyway.

Wages for blue collar workers went completely stagnant through the 80s and 90s, while the cost of living quadrupled. Those in the high tech, and stock markets, became millionaires.

In all my working years, and up to retirement, never have I seen disparity higher that it is right now. This is not a fluke. It is intentional, and there's no sign at all it's going to get better.

The big SUCK.

Oz
Inflation 2.9%, jobless rate 4.2%,
Wages growth 2.7% so, lagging somewhat
Price of diesel is creeping up $1.80 per litre, was about $1.70 last month. Not unexpected as the world starts to travel again.

Back