INFLATION how's it hitting you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm surprised rents haven't gone up here yet.

At the same time I fear that'll be the straw that breaks a lot of struggling poor and small businesses.

We'll see soon enough. I'm sure.

Gonna have to be more careful now. They already sold stuff that wasn't worth $1, and could be had cheaper at any random grocery store. There's gonna be more products falling below that threshold now. Hopefully, they'll also get some better stuff. That's the "official" story from the company. Remains to be seen if that pans out.

They're just gonna keep squeezing and tightening the margins... for profits.

Wouldn’t you? When the potato in chief says he’s going to raise taxes on everybody that makes over 400k a year, those people are going to offset their cost by raising their prices. The people that that effects are the people that buy their goods and services.

Hits me right between the nads every time I fill the tanks. Was paying $2.40/gal for diesel at beginning of covidiocy, and it even dropped to $2.20 just before Jobama took office. Now, anywhere from $3.40 - $4.00. Food, restaurant pricing and all consumables (work and home) up anywhere from 20% - 50%. Surprisingly, most booze has not risen much, if at all.

Two round trips to town approx 280kms (about 70kms one way) costs me about $60-70 AUD to refill the 3/4 empty diesel tank.
Diesel is anywhere from $1.61 to $1.70 per litre. $1.63 here in the village

Isn't that about what it usually costs? I call them and Stihl boutique oil. You could run water in the oiler, replace bars, and be about even money compared to buying their oil.

Yup. Going by old prices cause I don't know what anything costs anymore... We'll say "expensive" oil is $20/G, though I've seen much higher. Cheapo TS oil is $8/G. That gives $12 delta, so <9G of oil, you could just buy a new bar. Point being, it doesn't matter how amazing and wear resistant your oil is if you burn up all your money buying oil, instead of just buying a new bar when it fails. IOW, who the hell is buying this oil?

Bar oil serves a critical roll in production cutting, period.

Usury was once something to be ashamed of....

I could buy a whole friggin chainsaw for 100 Bucks in the 70's.........

Jomo

$100 in 1976 is $439 today. That'll buy you a brand new echo Timber Wolf that you could do some credible logging with.

When I was a teen in 1975 I could buy a quart of RayLube reconstituted oil at the local market for 25 cents......

Jomo

How much were you making though? $1/hr? Comparing personal historic prices, I think it's better to compare how long you'd have to work to buy $product. Assuming you made $1/hr, you had to work 15 minutes to buy that oil. Minimum wage today is $7.50 I think, and you can get 5qt of full synthetic oil at walmart for $16, so that minimum wage worker would have to work 26 minutes to buy a quart of oil. Is that bad? Full synthetic is better than reconstituted single weight oil. Might be a bit better or worse, but I'd call it a wash I think.

edit:
I just looked it up, and it appears minimum wage was $2.30 in 1976. I don't feel like running the numbers again, but it makes walmart oil look a little worse. Interestingly, minimum wage was only $2.50 when I started working in the 80s. Ten years only got another 20¢ :^/

edit2:
My memory sucks. Looked up 1985, and it says minimum wage was $3.35. Could have sworn I made $2.50 at the bakery. Everything's an illusion!

Last edited:
Back