In The News...

Her protest is just one step short of burning down Macy's imo. It is obviously causing no property damage or death (yet) but the sentiment behind it is the same- she's throwing out a giant F U to the society and country she lives in.
@cory can you think of a way of protesting. minding that you dont have to agree with what they are protesting about, but what is a manner of protesting anything, or raising conciousness regarding anything that would make you comfortable?

the article you shared said she lost her sponsorships after the pan am games in the vicinity of 50,000$. enough to cover training for a year I imagine.
Doh, you got me! Don't know how I missed that but yeah. Btw who would sponsor a female hammer thrower, seems mad niche to me but I'm only a part time marketing expert:lol:

she worked hard and has made more of herself than any of us on this forum i would say. she can throw a hammer further than any of us.

That's merely an academic question but I would disagree that she has made more of herself than you or many of the other small tree biz owner/operators here. We've made a lifetime commitment to something arguably very challenging while she hit the genetic athletic lottery and and she's one of the best in the world at something very few people care about and will compete in the sport for 10 years or so.

why make her sing a song she doesnt like? Why is it not possible to love your country but not like the song? does the song represent you?

Yes I think the song represents me cuz I'm a 'Merican and it is the national anthem. Ha you'd like this KB (jk), a few years ago I went to a University of GA football game, they are literally crazy about their SEC football down there, and I found it very cool and moving when the entire 80k people in the crowd sang the national anthem acapella (no instrumental accompaniment ) instead of the usual marching band playing it. I'd never seen or heard of that before and it was very cool imo.

Sure a person could love their country but not the song. But let's be honest, let's say congress did away with the song tomorrow, no more national anthem of any kind, Gwen would still have the same disgust for her country that she showed on the podium. It's not like the jingle itself is the huge problem. Gwen is very unhappy with the intrinsic nature of USA.
@cory can you think of a way of protesting. minding that you dont have to agree with what they are protesting about, but what is a manner of protesting anything, or raising conciousness regarding anything that would make you comfortable?
That's a good question. It's a thorny question as I noted earlier.

A non violent protest march would be fine.

In this age of social media, why not put together something about how you love your country and note the many great things about it but you have a problem with A B and C and why americans should care about the A, B and C problem. With the influence an Olympian could wield, perhaps a well crafted message could spread far and make a positive difference .

The message she sent from the podium screamed My Country Sucks. It only served to further divide and inflame Americans, did zero to educate or improve the situation.

i only got from the protest that the song sucks. there are pictures of her waving the flag as well as her flat out stating she loves this country. but does not think the song represents her relationship to the country. it has been a controversial tune both for the author and the content since it was written. Since it is ONLY played at sports games it really only affects those who are in the field of sports or watching sports. Some of whom might think about things beyond just their sport.

when I was a child one of my dreams was to make the olympics. Dream unaccomplished so I hold olympic athletes with the absolute highest regard, even the fencers and hammer throwers. When I was in college i worked for the grounds maintanance crew and spent many saturdays picking up trash at track and field events. I absolutely fell in love with that sport and their incredible bodies. from the pole vaulters to the throwers. Just loved every minute of those days.

this didnt have to be our national symbol.

The ugly reason ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ didn’t become our national anthem for a century
By Gillian Brockell

Let's remember the part she presumably has a problem with is from deeper in the poem that the anthem comes from. There's nothing racist or suspect in the anthem afaik. So since the poem is not the anthem....this is getting crazy. It's why I usually don't participate in political threads. You can argue points endlessly and nothing changes.

What sport did you aspire to become an olympian in, KB?

Played it to the lads at lunchtime (first half anyway) best laugh we’ve had for a while.

Here’s a nice country song for you.

Mick, I don’t believe you’d know a good country song if you passed it in your stool. I’ll so some poking around. Got to be some woke stuff that would appeal to you. I confess, I’ve never looked into it.

Last edited:
I’m sure you can write your own, you know the sort of thing.

My daddy ploughed every day with a mule,
We sang about old glory every day at school,
We was poor but happy, honest and god fearing’
Kept our guns by the door in case the commies were appearin’

Last edited:
Wow Aaron lewis is a monster, I knew I recognized that voice.

Start at :45

Btw he doesn't look like his voice says he should

Back