Hunting 2021

Any of your general deer rounds will work for antelope.

Remember, an antelope is at least a third smaller than your average Montana Whitetail.

Generally they will dress at under 100 pounds.

Anything from a 243 to a 300 WM will be sufficient.

For years my antelope round was a 150 grain Sierra BT bullet over a charge of 760 Winchester powder.

Now, because I am an emotional fool, I shoot everything with a 130 Grain hot core Speer over a charge of 4350 IMR.
\

Nostalgia.

As do the rest of us on your reindeer hunts Rich! You have quite the arsenal now. Post them up! Kidding of course.

I need to get the paper work first. It appears COVID has turned everyone into hunters. That and people want a new gun from Santa. Long and the short of it is the hunters courses are fully booked this year and next course is in February.

So it will be sometime in the new year. We have got the freezer though and a client of mine has connections to getting a whole lamb, Norwegian free range (if ever there was such a term). Probably means it is tough as a boot but it will be a nice range of cuts, pre butchered and packed.

I need to get the paper work first. It appears COVID has turned everyone into hunters. That and people want a new gun from Santa. Long and the short of it is the hunters courses are fully booked this year and next course is in February.

So it will be sometime in the new year. We have got the freezer though and a client of mine has connections to getting a whole lamb, Norwegian free range (if ever there was such a term). Probably means it is tough as a boot but it will be a nice range of cuts, pre butchered and packed.

It will also be the size of a large jack rabbit or a small Dog.

I used Barnes 168grn TSX this year.

I am unimpressed with them, they are simply to hard and dont kill fast enough. I shoot a robust charge of VV n140 in a 8X57 Mauser i imagine its pretty close to 30-06 Balistically.

I am going back to old school cup and core bullets,they have always worked for me.

I have shot many many animals with Sierra Pro Hunters in my 308 back home.Nosler Ballistic tips are also pretty good as were the Sierra game kings I used to use before that.

I will bring my 8x57 after Antelope.

I dunno, Scott. Hunting pronghorn (an aside, they are not a species of antelope, and it is inaccurate to call them so :)) is pretty much like sniper work. At least, it is here in eastern Oregon.

Like Jim says...they always have better views of you coming than you have of them in trying to approach. Unbelievable acuity of eyesight.

To have a decent chance at success, you have to figure out where they are likely to be, and when...hauling your rifle around blind might once in a rare while offer a chance shot, but not often. After the front end grunt work without your firearm in tow, you must then place yourself in position to hopefully make a shot. Usually getting there in the dark, and waiting for many hours. A shot of 500 yards is not unusual. Well more than that is completely within normal parameters. Again, I speak to here in eastern Oregon, only.

In other words, you don't lug your rifle around indiscriminately. The weight of a seriously long range rifle is a benefit, not a detriment.

I spoke to a Kiwi this morning who goes to the states each year to hunt Antelope on public land. It sounds like a great experience,he has hunted Montana and Wyoming five times all on public land.

He has suggested some ballots that have higher chances of drawing a tag,the points system is unusual to me but I can understand the reasons behind it.

Let a good friend deer hunt the south woods tonite...access is hard right now. Standing corn (good) and water, lots of flooded areas (bad).

He was on the ground, using a crossbow. Firearm deer is 2 weeks out.

Had nice 8 point, 5 yards away from being dead. Wind shifted, game over.

Thats why its called "hunting" and not "killin'".

Ed

Went out for a short hunt today after a covid booster... just to set some of our anti covid folks off. Not much going on. Did see a last year small moose shed during my round. It appears my "spot has been found" because I saw some survey flagging and a game camera. IMG_20211113_140320_HDR.jpg IMG_20211113_140425_HDR.jpg

I guess it's moss/algae? I've found some pretty old whitetail sheds, and they've always been antler colored.

edit:
You posted while I was typing :^D

I keep the ones I find with the intention of making something, but can't bring myself to cut them up, cause they're cool looking as-is. I have one I cut a point off of to make a pendant for my daughter, so that's the project antler for now. I should make something with it. I also need to gather all my antlers, and see exactly what I have. They're scattered all over the place.

Back