How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 182K
I know some of y'all have seen this on Facebook already, but

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377021507.851331.jpg

It was a mentally challenging splice. Had to work one magic In order to complete it with out having to rely on a 50:1 pulley system!

love
nick

The magic: there was no way in hell the core was going to make it through. So I tapered the core FIRST- then sent it through. It went much more smoothly once i figured that out.

love
nick

Nick, thats awesome looking! Let us know how it breaks.

Here are a few pictures of what I can only describe as

"Twist and Splice! come on come on come on baby now, twist and splice!"

IMG_5938.JPG

IMG_5944.JPG

IMG_5937.JPG

That looks sweet Nick. Have you used it/like it?

Some more great looking custom gear from Nick. :)
Is it hard to tie the prussic with the cord attached to the Pinto? :?

Randy, you have to tie the knot before making the second eye, then twist the whole knot all the way back towards the first eye. Execute the splice, then untwist it and run it home.

Take one of your TVP Pintos and see if you can fashion a VT or XT out of it. It doesnt work, the rope needs a certain, specific twist in it. It was a PITA!

I would be more worried about how the eye holds up being rubbed by a biner on a tight radii as such.

I bet under tension they don't touch much if at all

love
nick

They definitely touch with the Petzl AMD. I am going to see how a DMM Oval fits in there today. Its nice though because the cord and the biner are held very rigidly, its super responsive with the tightness of the splice throat. Its likely not commercially viable, because its a pain, people use different VTs, and its hard to retie if you take the lanyard out of it... which is why dont already see people doing it.

Randy, you have to tie the knot before making the second eye, then twist the whole knot all the way back towards the first eye. Execute the splice, then untwist it and run it home.

Take one of your TVP Pintos and see if you can fashion a VT or XT out of it. It doesnt work, the rope needs a certain, specific twist in it. It was a PITA!

Sounds like a major pain to get it right. :X
I know what you mean about it needing a certain twist, I've tried what you suggested a while back on a different setup and it wouldn't work at all, the cord got twisted up all wrong. :what:

Just finished up my first 16 strand splice! :D
Now I got me a 15 foot lanyard. Really happy with how it came out! :thumbupold:
Now I just need to whip/lockstitch it. ;)

I was a little nervous about doing it 'cause I've heard it's one of the "harder" ropes to splice, didn't seem to be that bad at all for me..... :roll:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8800.jpg
    IMG_8800.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8801 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8801 - Copy.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 74
Randy, that looks good...
I wish I had the patience to even go there.
Arbormaster makes a great lanyard/flipline/short climb line with a swivel snap. Well done :thumbup:

Nice Randy! You gotta get one of these:
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1539

I woulda posted some pics myself...but instead I would like to offer a up a big F-you to Yale Bandit 11mm.

I've been looking at that snap, it may find it's way into an upcoming order from Treestuff..... ;)

ARGH! I am stepping away for the night.

View attachment 49522

What's goin' on? Looks like you can't get the eye to tighten down on the x ring(?). Is that Bandit hard to splice? :?
I just noticed you've got the x ring "backwards", maybe that's why it won't work for ya'. :lol: (sorry, couldn't help myself)

Randy, that looks good...
I wish I had the patience to even go there.
Arbormaster makes a great lanyard/flipline/short climb line with a swivel snap. Well done :thumbup:

Thank you, I finally "made"(take note of the "late" hour I posted)time to put it together.
I've been wanting to make one for a while now, just haven't had time. I'm happy with how it turned out. :D

Randy,

It was just really tight. Of course I didnt research it before ordering, but from what I read during my frustration, Bandit is considered a difficult rope to splice. It took all the tricks I could come up with, but no mechanical advantage!

Not my most aesthetically pleasing work...

Photo on 8-25-13 at 11.27 AM #3.jpg

Photo on 8-25-13 at 11.27 AM #2.jpg

Nick,
you finished it, doesn't look too bad to me. :)
But I did notice you still have your X ring in "backwards"..... :lol:

By the way, I thought you would appreciate this picture, I made two wire fids out of the wire you sent.
They were both a huge help splicing that 16 strand! THANK YOU!!! :thumbupold:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8802 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8802 - Copy.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 95
Okay, here's the "finished" product(on one end). Two pics to make sure I'm not "hiding" anything..... ;)
All I need is to splice an eye on the other end and it'll be ready for work. :D

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8804 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8804 - Copy.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8805 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8805 - Copy.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 90
Just finished up the other end, "a bit" shorter than I planned. Once again I forgot to figure in the length the splice takes up..... :|:#-o

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8808 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8808 - Copy.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 86
Back