How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 180K
3/4" pelican matador, 25000 lb MBS
Both ropes 30ft, one rope got 2 eyes, other one is a dead eye (rope on right, ugly splice, I'm happy with the double eye on the left)

The scale of these splices wasn't apparent till I put a business card next to them!

Made the double eye for pulling my truck out (tow rope), have been using chain but figured it wasn't going to end well one day

Attachments

• 20230622_145605.jpg
    20230622_145605.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
spliced up some loopies out of 1/2 sampson double strand tennex with a DMM pinto rig and spacer.
made one shorter one for light rigging, and a longer one for drt top tie in, will use the adjustable friction saver with rings for ground set and retrieve.

Went to splice in a dead eye in my cougar, but the cross over point moved, and I have to re do it. Grrr

loopie before I lock stitched the end burys.

loopie1.jpg loopie2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with this rope. What are the characteristics and designed use?

Your whipping is superb. Nice whipping is an art that in not seen so much these days.

I'm not familiar with this rope. What are the characteristics and designed use?

Your whipping is superb. Nice whipping is an art that in not seen so much these days.
thank you! i appreciate it.

it is quite a stiff and static rope with parralel core strand‘s. primarily used for srt and made by teufelberger.

I have done a lot of eye splices in loose easy double braids rigging lines like Double Esterlon and StableBraid and the Samson V-series climbing lines. I have also succeeded a couple times with Yale Blue Moon but I found it very tight and difficult. Tonight after a long break from splicing I got a discount short piece of Tachyon from WesSpur and tried to make a lanyard. After a struggle I gave up and made the lanyard from Velocity. No problems. Any tips for Tachyon?

Is it the final bury? You can clip a steel biner in it, and then clip a small sling to a hammer handle just under the head, and then snap it tight a few times and then milk it, and keep working it til it's good. That's how i set them, brian toss trick. By pulling like that it aligns the rope, so that way it'll have room to set, and the snapping motion hopefully overcomes the static friction of the strands. Slowly work up the force as it goes, i think he used a sledge to get the really tight ones.

Is it the final bury? You can clip a steel biner in it, and then clip a small sling to a hammer handle just under the head, and then snap it tight a few times and then milk it, and keep working it til it's good. That's how i set them, brian toss trick. By pulling like that it aligns the rope, so that way it'll have room to set, and the snapping motion hopefully overcomes the static friction of the strands. Slowly work up the force as it goes, i think he used a sledge to get the really tight ones.
That is a good trick. With the Blue Moon, if I can recall correctly, every step was tight and especially final bury was very tough. I clipped the eye to my harness and was dropping my weight against it. With the Tachyon I was unable to even get the core re-inserted into the cover. I use the Nick Aria method of re-inserting the core first and then putting the cover into the core. So I was at the first step. I use Brian Toss wand. I have an arborist size one and a skinny shorter one for smaller lines. When I could not pull the core through with the normal size I tried again with the skinny one and broke the snare. (Anyone have any replacement dyneema?) I think my attachment of the core to the snare was too fat. Also i think last time I complained about the Blue Moon someone suggested a piano wire instead of the wand.

I tried Tachyon again this morning. As Rebecca Seibel (Tree Spirit Consultjng) teaches: “75% of the solution is understanding the problem.” Trying to explain to you all last night I realized I was unclear. Kyle helped me focus on *where* I got stuck and I realized that it was partially how I attached my core in the snare of the Toss Wand was making a fat and long bulge that was hard to pull through the cover. Thinking about breaking the snare reminded me of the instructions Bryon Toss wrote for the wand: “If it’s difficult you are doing something wrong. Stop and start over” last night I started over several times but I did not want to waste any rope so I kept using the same core that was getting more distorted. One other thing I realized *might* be part of the problem is I did not know what to do with some extra bits: Tachyon is the first rope I spliced with a thin black thread and a plastic label strip running through it. Last night I cut them off and the end still in the rope might have been getting in a twist. This morning a tried to keep them with the core although it was an extra complication. So I am putting this out on the forum, having got my core in and ready to try the cover insertion. This reminds me of Blue Moon. The jacket is so tight that *every* step is a challenge! IMG_8084.jpeg

It’s smaller than throwline. I saw somewhere that Spectra kite line is essentially the same as Toss used. Some kind of braided Spectra fishing line might also be similar. I actually have plenty of polyester braided sewing thread that’s the correct thickness. Not as strong but probably strong enough. I think it is 0.6 mm. Polyester Whipping twine would also be useable but mine is a little too thick.

It would be tedious, but perhaps you could take a piece of throwline apart and rebraid it with fewer strands.

Haha, yes anything possible if you need it. I found an old post in Treehouse. Somebody selling 0.8 spectra for the small wand. I had some 0.8 polyester and installed it no problem. The medium and arborist wands (same diameter) take a larger line. I think it might be 1.1 or 1.2mm. It’s hard to measure because it’s squishy. IMG_8086.jpeg

Back