How'd it go today?

Went and helped fiddler yesterday, 2 crane trees in four hours. I love riding the ball to the top but im thinking is definitely time for a spliced eye climb line. Tying and untying everytime really wears me out. Other than that it was a fun day

Really? wears you out? tying knots is the easiest part of my day. A spliced eye is nice. A Scoffold knot takes about 5-10 seconds.

Today, I communicate with the aliens!

Gonna light my space fire off as long as the smoke venting index creeps up a little.

Here's a pic of a previous year.

image.jpg

I wish you guys could see the log pile we used to build up and then burn once a year. Easily 10 times bigger than that pic with huge logs and trunks in the mix. When it was lit up you couldn't get within 200 feet and I know it could be seen from space.

The dump was on the side of the Red River and one year it overflowed and took ALL those logs and crap downstream...

Mentally gets me, muscle memory is fine for rigging, but when it comes to life support in a little more cautious. Anchor knot with a triple fisherman's for safety. It's what I was taught. And im used to the visual of it so it stands out in my brain if it's not right

A drone fly-around woulda been sweet!

It was the length of a football field and 1/3 as wide... maybe 15, 20 feet high in places. We used tied-in tongs to set the logs in place.

Mentally gets me, muscle memory is fine for rigging, but when it comes to life support in a little more cautious. Anchor knot with a triple fisherman's for safety. It's what I was taught. And im used to the visual of it so it stands out in my brain if it's not right

I always use a scaffold knot ("1/2 double" or "1/2 a triple fisherman's" knot). Under body weight it will cinch on the biner, yet easy to get a keylock biner out of the knot, and "fold the knot over itself" to untie. Fast, easy. Easy to ID as tied properly or not tied properly, which is crucial. 3" tail.

Give it a try. I'm planning on not falling to my death, either. 8)

Pulls back through crotches ok, as well. My occasional-use rope lanyard is tied with a scaffold, and for some reason I taped the tail, rather than untie it all the time when pulling it through questionable crotches. It hasn't flustered me to untape and loosen the now-cinched-tight-after-a-long-time knot, but I should.

I use snaps for my climb line and split tail. But when im constantly pulling it out of the ring to ring that I hook to the crane I have to tie and untie. I climb quite old school I know but I've gotten comfortable and I was able to visually learn that technic

The fire was postponed. Sucks. Conditions were not favourable and I only have ten more days left in my window to burn. Not doing to bad though as there's only fifteen days available. I'll get it lit off, just not today.

I use snaps for my climb line and split tail. But when im constantly pulling it out of the ring to ring that I hook to the crane I have to tie and untie. I climb quite old school I know but I've gotten comfortable and I was able to visually learn that technic

Join the modern world. Don't get exhausted by such things. You will need a carabiner for a spliced eye, anyway. They are safer, as tri-action versus bi-action.

You're not climbing with a cross-cut saw and ax, are you?

Finished day number 2 of the TN master logger certification today. 3 more to go over the next few weeks. I did pick up a ms660 and a 395 husky from our logging crew since they dont use chain saws anymore lol. Both saws need a top end rebuild. The 660 needs a chain brake handle as it seems it had straight gas put through it and melted the handle down. Im gonna strip them both down and look them over good. Hopefully just a top end kit and gasket set for each!

Denver

One of my guys did this today…
I didn't like it.

ef855d715bcdf10ba760507f47494446.jpg

Later I was driving away from a $10,000 bid and a competitor was driving in to bid.
I had my nice white truck with logo. Logo on the shirt. Well written estimate.
Guy pulling in did not even have a windshield in his truck.

Seems like she should have been the company to destroy the gutter at the other place.

Or a truck backed into it.

No windshield?? Now that is a new level of styling!!!:/:

He pulled into it and sideswiped it with the top of the truck going forward. Second time he's done it.
Was literally warned not to do it three times before he did it.
One of my favorite workers ever but I don't understand what his malfunction is with driving.

That's too bad August.... I know what you mean.....oh great, now I'm PO'd at my GF's driving....grrrr... I was just getting over it.

Have him get his eyes checked. People can be going blind and not know it for some time. It doesn't hurt to get your eyes checked even if not smashing into things, especially if ocular hypertension or glaucoma is in your family history. Seriously!

I've been known to do a lot of things, but I don't own a cross cut saw. But I started climbing with a 395xp, fiddler actually sold me my 338xp (I think he felt sorry for me, or just hated the saw). I have 2 new carabiners for life support, just haven't purchased the new climb line yet. I was looking at some of these new friction devices, just not sure what to think of them yet since im a rather large guy and not sure how they'd operate

Back