How'd it go today?

I'm hucking hay today. Ran a bit short to get through the springtime. That'll be my first year here I haven't planned it out right, if you can call it that. I scored good hay at a fair price though so that's a plus. Hay can get rich around here this time of year.

Looks good Peter.

Jim I deal only in small squares and it's by the bale so take from it what you will. This time of year prices go right up to $12/bale, even a bit more in recent years. I paid considerably less through a friend who asked me not To let out what I paid. So I'll leave it at that. It was second cut too.

Usually I'm in the selling end of things but I had poor yields last year. I only do about 7acres of mainly grass hay with a squirt of alfalfa here and there. The rest of my huge 11acre farm is used up living. I know I know, that's probably smaller than your front yard. :D

Grass is best for horses. I dont like to feed any more than about 30 percent alfalfa.

Yeah, 12 bucks is high enough. Especially if they are light.

I heard from a guy that was selling each FLAKE for that much. He would bring ONE bale to town in the trunk of his car, and sell it by the flake to rabbit owners.

I just about got into the small square market, stock yards around here buy them like crazy. 200 bucks a ton. I dont have a stack wagon or a Pridgeon fork, or a square baler for that matter, so I did not do it.

They are making the switch to big squares now, so that might be an option in the future. Just have to buy a big square baler!

Do you get a couple of tons an acre up there in God's Country? We can usually get a ton to a ton and a half down here.

Yeah, those look pretty cool Dave.

Me or Justin Cody?

Me, I have a horse, I guess. Have not seen him for a while. Got tired of the cayuse trying to buck me off, so I quit riding him. The rocky ground does a fine job of keeping his hooves down.

Either of youins. Just wondering...in my past life I was going to be a shoer of horses. Apprenticed for a year and went to the school in Bozeman. Was at a crossroads on wether I wanted to be a tree climber or a horse shoer.

"Cayuse", haven't heard that term in a long time, uh, what does it mean. Son of a gun, basically?

August, good luck with the big tree and family health. The 5k tree will be fine....unless it is really a 6.5k tree;)

August, hire in a climber for the day?? Get a rest day, take care of yourself and the family?? If you get sicker, and they get sicker, then what?

We use a farrier and keep shoes on two of our three horses from spring to fall. Full sets on the two and sometimes we'll put fronts on the third but not the last couple of years. Our horses are pretty tame so we're good customers to have I imagine.

Jim I'm fully irrigated here and think I'm pushing three ton/acre with two cuts. I think? Over 700 off of the seven I consider good. Under I consider crappy. Small squares. 50-60lb.

Hope you and family heal up soon August. Our little bout with that hung on seemingly forever. Turned into walking pneumonia for some. See a Dr.... Seriously. I had to get on antibiotics toot sweet.
If you have a climber, go out and manage a bit, then go home.

Been making some great progress on the fiddle lately...figuring things out faster than I can ingrain them to retain...One of these nights I'll make it to bed before 3:30am :lol:

My playing out and band days are probably about over Jim. I just get a lot of enjoyment form dinking around with it any more.

Dave, you seemed enthusiastic about playing recently, things have changed quickly.

Hope for a quick mend for you son, August.

Need to vent...
Try as I might to bring someone on board and teach what I know as a climber and then gone cause I can do it on my own. 15hr and ask for more no can do for a groundsmen position so he says see ya. Good luck thanks for the consideration.
Now the hussle and shuffle to make things solid with a crew again. Boy it gets old quick. End of rant Thanks

Tough situation.

I'm curious, how was it back in the 70's 80's 90's for finding people who wanted to AND learned how to climb?

Back