How'd it go today?

My 51 keeps getting put on the back burner as well Jim. Needs the valve seat fixed. Ring popped out. Of course it means pulling the whole damn works and running it to a machine shop for me. I may have a lead on a reasonable engine for it. That way I can just swap the motor and then tear the spare down. That would be my preference. I keep thinking that having a spare motor will be in my best interest in case I find one of the generator/welders that might need one :/:

Jay, we (Florida Power/Progress Energy/Duke) stopped covering primary for tree companies years ago as there was too much liability involved and it gave them a false sense of security. Even if they do cover it for you, I would do everything in my power to keep anything from making contact. The line hose connectors can come apart fairly easily and leave you with a phase to ground fault and that's not good.

Caution noted, Ray. Thanks.

Squish, why did the other guy fold up?

I didn't realize there are still logging camps, except in AK.

Good thing you were able to pick up a top guy asap.

That freakin Jeep is driving me nuts .Lapped the valves,timing is dead on .Doesn't run worth a hoot .Had the carb apart half dozen times .

It has to be the damned carb .Center two cylinders were so carboned up it looked like it was burning soft coal .All four plugs carboned up .Well what the hey ,it's vintage 1962 and sat unused for 9 years ,I guess it's time .

Couple bad cam lobes Al? Wouldn't the carb do that to all the cylinders if it was screwin up? Maybe some bad springs!

No I checked the lift when I set the valves .All feeler guaged at 18 thou .Same lift on all of the valves .

With the intake manifold cast as part of the cylinder head on these low speed engines the center two cylinders will show the most fuel dispersement . Thus the carbon .

That little engine is only 134 cubic inchs and it has 2" intake valves .Good heavens almost as large as a 350 Chevy and only runs wide open at 4000 RPM .

Squish, why did the other guy fold up?

I didn't realize there are still logging camps, except in AK.

Good thing you were able to pick up a top guy asap.

I believe the other fellow to have mismanaged his business. I like most small business owners put in some serious time and effort to keep my business viable. But I don't know all the gory details, but I do know it was sudden and not a planned closure or retirement. I'll be scouring the local bailiffs to look at a couple of pieces of the equipment.

There are logging camps still on the bc coast. If you look at a actual scale map of bc you'll see it's huge and lots of areas are quite remote.

The timing on the employee change up is miraculous to say the least. I has advertised for help with no prior knowledge of my competitors trouble within 24hrs or so of them closing. I'll learn a lot from this new guy and he brings with him a lot of local customer base. Over 10 years as head climber/cutter with his old company.

That is a pretty good engine isn't it Al? My 52 has the Go-Devil engine. I would think that the Hurricane would be better.

Mine does not run well either, No. 3 is cool. Have you used a temp gun on yours? I figure mine is the rings or seats. I hope anyway, the rebuild kit is OUTRAGEOUS!

You could have broken rings .That isn't too costly but the damned things are a beech to change with the engine still in the frame .If you have oil on top of the piston I'd about bet it's rings .

In my case and from reading about a zillion reports on Jeep forums it about has to be the carb .The consenses being the original Carter YF is better choice than an after market Solex .The Solex is around 150 while an NOS Carter about 225.

As far as the two engines the flat head is around 60 HP while the IOE is around 72 . They are geared so low either one could climb a tree if they could get traction .Tough engines but after 50 odd years more or less they do need some attention after a while .

Made it back home today from my stump job. Have about a week of tree work lined up then back up to do more.

Job went fairly nicely so far. Land owner is very happy with the progress as am I; finished off about 250 of them in 36 hours. "Average" stump is running 1 to 1 1/2 times sweep of cutting wheel on 38 Speacial. Teeth are in for sharpening and another full set ordered. That will give me about 8 changes of teeth plus a couple spares.

Just the leads usually. The ones next in line less often as they don't wear a much. the inside teeth never wear at all so I only change them out once in a while to make sure I still can or to rotate to the lead position.

Would an old slant 6 Holley be adaptable,Al?
I have no idea except the slant six would likely have larger jets and metering rods .

One of the stock cars I was involved with had a slant 6 bored out with Lincoln 430 pistons and a two barrell 500 CFM Stromberg Bendix carb .Huge thing .

Squish, that's awesome re the apparent capabilities of the new climber, good luck with that. Ha, maybe your guy who left will come back in 2 or 3 years, sick of the boonies but with amazing cutting skills, ready to go back into the wilderness of residential tree work

Whooped out a job in three days that could have taken longer. Put together a quick crew to kick ass. Mike Martella (mountainmike?) helped a couple as did a couple older employees that have their own gigs now. I climbed a bunch while they decimated the ground brush with Rob. Fuckin awesome three days. This place sits on top of a ridge that is almost 5000 feet in elevation. I wish the camera took some good pictures of it. 360* panorama up at the main house. Insurance fire clearance. I also now have a client for life and he is hiring some of my subs to do other stuff. I bet Katy even gets a job keeping the houses clean. :thumbup:
Always good to do a feel good job that comes in at budget and under the wire.

Got back to and finished up the job where we did some damage to a vacation home when a rotten tree that was struck fell and went awry. Haven't gotten the bill yet, though the roof is repaired, still the hole in the wall. :( I guess we were in cahoots on that one, Gary, too good buds to say who is to blame. Almost all pull trees at this location. The good side, some tricky trees worked out quite well at difficult locations using both the Maasdam and the Turfor to pull the tree to where it needed to be to find a good lay. Both excellent tools to have on a job like this one. The damage causing one was simply an error in judgement, not properly considering side drift by a screwy heavy top....what will be a costly one. A good lesson for sure, damnit.

Stephen, lots of block usage for putting the guy pulling out of harms way, but seldom a block up in the tree. A good thing to keep in mind as you suggest, though.

Small job this morning. Several new jobs acquired that are very profitable. My wrist and two of my fingers felt broken this morning(kinda dropped a drill press on it) but working seemed to help. And it's my birthday! It's a good day

Back