How'd it go today?

I've never seen a TK up close, but there are a lot of them on the Forestry Forum. I've got a WM LT40 Super with the CAT diesel and wireless remote control. I have a 24' extension and saw long timbers for timber framing. Those boards look nice and straight. I've got some red pine here, but I've never felt compelled to saw much of it. Does it dry nicely, or does it move around?

It dries well enough if you sticker it even. Your WM sounds like an awesome setup 8)

TK is like the generic WM. Similar power options on the low end, but the build quality in the WM really shows through. I've looked at a few WM close up, and they are a much heavier duty unit. For what we use it for though, the Timber Kind works just fine.

Throw up a pic if you get a chance, I'd love to see it. Cheers.

Just finished a 6 day mistletoe removal with a live oak removal mixed in on an old customer. Just happy those sumbeeches are done. Each leader of each group of trees were a tree in and of itself. Probably the equivalent of 10-12 trees.. I am whooped.
Three day insurance compliance ladder fuel reduction job starts tomorrow. Mike Martella is back in town.. gonna throw four of us at it.. Probably 2-3 acres.

I think Timberking is a good company, and makes good mills, from what I've read over at the FF, although they spend a lot of time knocking the cantilever head on the WM, which is total BS.

A couple of pics of the mill setup on the slab sawing 47'-6"

bx24_5.jpg

lullpics.jpg

A quick video of sawing at my house this summer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TlMTxUwF-YY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

narrowly escaped a serious accident today. We were removing a poplar, nothing big, one of 6 trees on the job with a crane. I rode the ball up and set the chain on one side of a bifurcated top and then came down about 4' bellow the crotch and cut. As the piece was right over the crane on the way to the chipper the sucker split down the middle and half the top fell on the crane. Luckily it missed Derrick by 4' but smooshed his "Job-box" pretty good. I will buy him a new one but I cannt believe it happened...............

Glad no one was hurt Paul. Stuff happens sometimes that are outside of our control or foresight. It could've split while over your head, over the ground crew or operator. You've got a lot to be thankful for. You're right, the job box is a very small price in comparison.

Thanks for passing that along...it will help all of us pay more attention to things that look OK but may not be.

Glad all are safe.

Whew close one. Glad nobody is hurt.

Used a buddy's 250xp today with 165 somethin cummins and winch. Oops, that was a mistake! Now I am in search of financing. My 200 is soon to be for sale.

Wow, Paul, scary! Have to remain vigilant.

Went to look with the crane company owner at leaning Oaks over wires and the road. Called the electric company to have covers put on the lines. After that will cut.

Finished up a monster silver maple today. Pretty tight drop zone and of course an uphill drag for the brush. Bobcat got the wood( seven loads in a twenty yard chip box). Picked up four more jobs while we were there. I guess that means we left a good impression. Groundies earned there money today. One of them got some good pics of the rigging going on. Guess I'll have to learn how to post them someday.

Wow, Paul, scary! Have to remain vigilant.

Went to look with the crane company owner at leaning Oaks over wires and the road. Called the electric company to have covers put on the lines. After that will cut.
Jay, we (Florida Power/Progress Energy/Duke) stopped covering primary for tree companies years ago as there was too much liability involved and it gave them a false sense of security. Even if they do cover it for you, I would do everything in my power to keep anything from making contact. The line hose connectors can come apart fairly easily and leave you with a phase to ground fault and that's not good.

Damn Paul... Scary dude. Could have been a lot worse.

That mill is damn sweet.. A man can dream eh?

Worked with Mike Martella today. Good chap from Humboldt area. Met two of his kids and wife too. Just moved back local. Someone does not snatch him up .. I just might. Worked a champ today. He will be working with us again tomorrow. He has to report to a new job on Friday. :)
Still gonna have some good times with him and his family I think ... nice folks :)

I still have a few days before I go back to work so I decided to lap the valves on my old Jeep .All went well until the freakin valve spring compresser got my thumb,ouch .

Today work on a leaky radiator and heater core .With any luck it will run better .

Things have gone crazy here for me. 1st off my employee if four years is leaving, next Tuesday being his last day. The call to be a coastal faller was to strong for him, so he's going to the camp life. Right at the same time my main competitor folded and I hired his top guy immediately. Now at one of the busiest times of the year I'm all of a sudden changing up my crew and getting just slammed. I feel I really need to step up and expand as there's definetly the room/demand for it and I'm sure if I don't fill the gap someone else will.

Back