How'd it go today?

Up at 4:30am this morning! Our neigbour runs a log truck, I got to go on a run with him this morning, hour drive to the site, loaded up 30 tonne of logs (his estimate) then two hrs to the chip mill. Private plantation, 20yr old eucalyptus will be chipped and sold abroad.
That gave me a new respect for large, fully loaded rigs on the road, as well as a bit of insight into the logging industry here.
Pretty cool, I even got to see a nice sunrise, not being a morning person that's kinda rare for me...
Been living here almost six years, have been dying to go out on the log truck, he took my hubby a few weeks back, I finally got the invite yesterday, guess the neighbour reckons we're ok. :)

Attachments

• P9030641.jpg
    P9030641.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 50
  • P9030638.jpg
    P9030638.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 51
  • P9030644.jpg
    P9030644.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 50
  • P9030646.jpg
    P9030646.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 50
  • P9030651.jpg
    P9030651.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 50
1:20 and done for the day. time for some barefoot banjer pickin' on the porch.

Attachments

• HB.jpg
    HB.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 38
Tasmania? Good logging pictures...cool to see that up close and personal.

Yup, back in the land of gum trees.
That truck is the neighbour's pride and joy, he spends about three hrs every Sunday afternoon cleaning it. He even dusted off the front wheels and fenders before we got back on the highway after chaining up.

Looks like another fire in Yosemite, but the smoke looks like it is headed north. Does the smoke affect the kids much Stephen?

Only had one really bad smoky fire for us this year. Hard on everyone. Two asthmatics for parents... our kids are cursed.
No smoke right now. Finally got some rain this AM. Just enough to make it muggy and wash the dirt off the brush so it burns faster.
Sometimes it will come down to us at night. Having the AC unit helps a lot. Just recirc the inside air so it filters.
Always hate to see shat burn though. Phone is ringing though. Love hate relationship even for a pyro like me.

Kinda had a easy day. Removed 4 ash,2 Norway maples, and 1 large red bud( big for a red bud). Trimmed 3 red maples, a pin oak , and 1 red oak. Hardest part was trying to teach one of the ground men how to trim. Sent him up the smallest maple while I did the pin oak. Let him use my hitch climber and I had to go back to the dreaded taught line. All went good for us. The stump crew I'm not so sure about. They showed up at six with topsoil, seed, straw, and a bad attitude about being there.

Saw lots of dead and dying ash in Chicago. Went to my home town tonight and saw some respectable sized hardwood. So many dead and rough looking trees around, even outside of the ash. Bad looking spruces and many others. Home town gov't is hiring an arborist. I'm not applying.

I've been away longer then normal lately, so just reporting in with some spare time that I have found here, during my hectic transition moving to a new town.

Everything is going great, kids are settled in their new schools, wife is doing great with her new job and I'm running around unpacking and rearranging.
Just got my workshop home 6 am yesterday morning after 6 hours on the highway on a all nighter. Today later will have it settled in the back yard. We had frost this morning as you can see the sun melting it off the roof.
Old Man Winter is around the corner.

Attachments

• 20140909_085351.jpg
    20140909_085351.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 51
Saw lots of dead and dying ash in Chicago. Went to my home town tonight and saw some respectable sized hardwood. So many dead and rough looking trees around, even outside of the ash. Bad looking spruces and many others. Home town gov't is hiring an arborist. I'm not applying.
Yeah, Ash and Spruce are the top two removals in the Chicagoland area right now. Every where you go around here you will see dead trees.

He doesn't seem to ever be far away long in your part of the world Willard.
Good to hear it's going well.
Thanks Mick, yes we have no shortage of winter up here in Thompson 5 -6 months of the year. But our summers make up for it with daylight lasting up to over 22 hours per day on the longest days in June.

Mobile home!
Butch, now that you mention it . It does look like one of those little homes people across the country are making a trend with. Ha ha.

Glad to hear the move is going well Willard.

I'm knocking on he door of burnout myself. If I was a smarter man I'd delegate. As it is I just work a lot.

lEstimated a weeks worth of work this am.

Changed one fuel filter in chip truck Hauled trailer up to stump jobsite,

Checked out 3 different Mandolins I can have my choice of as part of my pay if I want. "79 Gibson (Kalamazoo, MI) F5, Stiver (PA Luthier/Builder) F Style, and a Prucha (Czech Builder) F Style. Each was a really fine instrument(and worth $5-8k) in its own way. I can have my pick of one in place of the last $4500 for the job. I haven't decided yet...told the land owner I'll decide when the time comes by how the job goes for me and how I'm sitting money-wise at the time of completion.

We have to do better Justin. Our families deserve more of us.
I have decided that every year my family is going to do something that we will remember for years. It has not been easy. All I know how to do is work, or worry about work.

I pretty much lived & breathed work 'till I turned 50. Wasn't great for any lasting relationship, and never did get around to raising a family. I've become much more balanced in life the last 5 years or so and Life is good!

Spent most of the day in this big fir. Previously stuck by lightening, so a 15ft dead top, and associated damage spiraling up the trunk. Had lots of big deadwood to remove also, and end weight reduction on about a dozen 30-35 ft limbs....had to be rigged to, so awkward.

I used a single strand (static) to move around the tree, as there was a lot of up-and-down climbing through to top 80ft, to give me the best line angle so I could get to the ends of the limbs. The tree was about 150 total. Getting out on the limbs is always easy enough, getting back without the 2:1 of a doubled line system takes quite a burst of strength and gripping power....but overall still the smartest way to get around such a densely-branched tree.

Previous breakout/limb failures left large portions of the trunk covered in hard, sticky sap.....just what you need all over your line. I should have gotten some pics of just how disproportionately long some of the limbs were....and 12in in diameter. But i was busy, so didnt really think to at the time. DSC04037 - Copy.JPG DSC04040 - Copy.JPG DSC04044 - Copy.JPG DSC04052 - Copy.JPG DSC04058 - Copy.JPG

Back