How'd it go today?

I have a Ford Ranger 4x4 as my get around vehicle in New Mexico and I'm pretty pleased with it. It's a 1999 model with the 3.0L V6 flexfuel engine. It's no racecar but has enough power to deal with the steep mountains in my area. Fuel usage is a steady 20-21mpg. Got it up to 23mpg on a road trip once.

It's not as nice as a Toyota, but the price is nicer.

Been looking at a lot of Rangers in that year range. Plenty to choose from.

What's up with the flex-fuel thing? Auto tech seems to be outrunning my learning curve.

Flex Fuel just means that it can also run any ethanol blend up to E85. Running higher ethanol blends increases the HP somewhat, but also reduces mileage. E85 is actually cheaper than regular gas in my neck of the woods, but once I calculated the mileage loss it figured out to be cheaper to just run regular gas.

What's everyone's take on Tacomas? 1998-2010 range mostly. Looking at trading in my mid size SUV for one if I can find the right one. 4x4, extended or full crew cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dig toyota.

Those years had frame recalls. If the frame was ok when brought in they will keep and eye on it. Some got brand new frames installed, most got send to the crusher. They were paying crazy money for them, like giving you 1.5x the blue book. Most made out on the deal.

Just keep that in mind, newer ones are nice, problem being they keep their value. 2001-2004 were my favorite body. The newer ones are nice too.

Thanks man. I like the 2001-2004 bodies. Basically a tie between those and the style that came after that. I noticed how well they hold their value, even with 80-90k miles a 2006 would still go for $18k approx.

Never knew about the frame recalls, I'll have to look that up.

Yep, they can run the vin to see if its affected.

I think, but not 100% sure, was that some came from different locations and would not be affected.

A friends sister bought a 2000 with around 180k. She paid like 4500 for it and ended up getting 11 grand.

You cant lose either way imo. But some did get complete new frames.

My 93 gave me miles of trouble free service. Monster in the snow, and about 22-23 mpg with the four cylinder. 4x4 stick.

Dont tow anything though. It felt Carl in the passenger seat or a dirt bike in the bed.

What are your thoughts on the new V6's in them? 22-23mpg sounds great in yours, the V6's seem to be about 18-21.

Don't really need towing capacity. Mainly looking for daily driver/travel vehicle that I can throw a bunch of stuff in and take a road trip.

If we are in the car business now, I have a 2001 Ford explorer, V-6, Auto 4wd, leather seats, good tires, that runs great. Bought a 98 Ranger so I could haul more. Also have a good 8 X 12, ice fishing house that would make a great package

They are good.

My bro had one, rode hard, pretty beat, ran nice though.

The manual trans grind in third gear. My bros tranny was replaced actually, and a friends its starting to do the same. Id buy one, though the mileage isn't as good as you type. Id say 15-17 more realistically.

Rear diff cover on the yodas isn't a bolt on. My 2003 Tundra 4.7liter 2WD drips gear oil like a sieve. JB Weld and other epoxy stuff is fighting a losing battle. Not sure if the key ignition on a Tacoma wears out eventually (the Tundra went at around 275 km; vice grips start it now). Gear selector (automatic) sheared off a year or so ago. Fortunately, vice grips also work great for shifting. Spark plugs are a bugger to remove if you leave them in for more than two years. Air cond. failed about 5 years ago, as did the CD player. All in all, a fine truck that has worked very hard, but I'd love to have a Tacoma to replace it.

I was plowing a little snow and over flew a giant hawk commonly called an American bald eagle .I 've seen probabley less than 10 in my lifetime and most of them the last 5-6 years .

In the PNW they are .They are just making a comeback in these parts as are the turkeys .

That water deal I doubt seriously if it ever gets as cold as what it's been in Tenn .In these parts you never run a water line on an outside wall if you can help it .I've got one line to an outside draining spigot I had forgotten to drain ,it's broke allright .I did shut the inside valve and thus protected the inside piping .

Nice, Al! I think I've seen 4, one each in AK and PA, and 2 in CT. It's pretty thrilling when you see one.

It didn't. After Monday's 54 and yesterday's 40's it was 9 this morning. Keys frozen in Boxer and chipper and batt dead enough in the chipper. One flat on the chipper as well.??? All ambition was gone by 9 Am. Ah well try again tomorrow.

I've seen several, mostly while in northern ME. I canoe'd the Allagash a couple times and saw at least 4 each trip. Definitely a sight to see. Now this damn road chickens are in herds here now. I got three last yr with different trucks. POOF!

It is not uncommon to see 8 or 10 bald eagles around here, especially in late winter or right after deer season, cleanup after the road kills and hunters .

Gonna be going on to my second day in a row of plowing tonight/tomorrow. The snow season has been good so far this year. Lots of small snowfalls so tons of services. I'm running two trucks this year and that's working out alright so far. Plenty of repairs with doing the clutch in the old truck over Christmas.

Wrenching has become my second profession.

Back