How'd it go today?

Nice chipper purchase man!

Had my first bad close call in awhile today. Doing a bunch of removals along a fence row, nothing huge, most of it between 8 to 12 inches. Had everything down expect two stems, and I just had to take an 8ft section off each to finish them off(these are all scrub trees, ingrown in the fence, so I'm just taking it level to the fence). It had been raining steady for a good 15 minutes also, so I was in a rush to get down. Made my face in the larger stem and back cut it. Thing swings around like 60 degrees to the face and lands on my rope, procedding to slide down. I saw it coming, so just turned away and it slams me in the back. Pic is up on FB, and I'll post it here in a few, nice cut along my upper back/shoulder blades, along with some good scrapes. Figure I got lucky nothing was broken.

After I recovered for a minute, I investigated and found that some small vines connected that stem to the smaller one directly behind it. Enough to swing it around towards me and the rope. Once it came off the cut, the vines broke and it just fell to terra fer-ma. Moral of the story is don't rush just to get outta the rain and double check everything.

Nice chipper, those really eat wood!

Removed storm damage from two biggish oaks, a broke stub on another tall oak, hangers in a maple, and an Ash take down. Finished, paid, and got a hug.

Split the Ash when I got home as I hate having rounds laying around, and tipped the chips.

I've pruned 32 hawthorns in the last three days. Fugging hate those trees, I've got alot more holes in my body than I did a few days ago.

Oh vell now I'm breaking for Christmas. Three days next week, practically a holiday here as long as it doesn't start finally snowing!

JP very nice! Stephen heal well, and enjoy the company of the lil ones even while what Eric LOL'd. I will more than agree vines suck. Ranger glad you are alright. Finished a two day spur job saving the worst for last as it was the best for clean up. Large cherry laurel on the fence over the neighbours pool and enclosure tight the whole way a few pucker moments on the last lead not wanting to hurt anything a day of rest tomorrow saw cleaning ahhhhh...

Nice to wrap up before the holidays :)
Thanks for the well wishing. Lilly had her birthday celebration tonight and almost did not eat her cake and ice creme for the love of her gifts :lol: And if you knew how much she loves ice creme! :lol:
I went back to work today (as my foot is a lot less swollen) alone as Rob had a family matter to handle so I took Levi to work and he had a blast. He took his dump truck and rode down the hill I was working on and down the driveway as well. That kid loves speed. I could about hear him squeal with delight over the sound of my chainsaw.
SO yup, having fun with the kids. They don't stay little forever.
One more day on that clean up job until next month... Then I take 3 days off for the holidays. Maybe I will fix that 066 over the weekend. Kat has to work through the holidays. So we open gifts Christmas eve, dinner on Christmas afternoon and take the kids to Grandmas and Grandpas Monday.

A couple weeks ago I flopped some Birch trees at my neighbor's place by my shop...a friend really. He had purchased some of my woodwork before and we know each other pretty well. He is a chef and owns a highly successful French restaurant in the large town about thirty minutes away. In lieu of not accepting any payment for the tree work, he invited me and my wife to his restaurant for a meal. Tonight we went. I had never been, in part because it is rather expensive, but also just never got around to fulfilling the desire to go. I figured that he'd be popping some corks, so we took the train into town and then rode the bus to close to his place. Arrived a bit early, so went for a walk, it's a very nice part of the town. Some champagne like wine to start with, then some red Bordeaux that was like drinking some exotic creature's blood, I mean it was very deep...along with an incredible dinner comprised of fish in a cream sauce and steak, along with a number of different dishes all very delicious. I mean every bite was like a firework leading up to the grand finale, just an incredible meal...food as an art. Finished off with some expressos and desert made from some raspberry mousse thing over a wonderfully tasty crisp pastry. I could have fallen over backwards in my chair then and there and died a happy man. The owner's daughter attending our needs was wonderfully charming to go along with it. Nice place, very cosy and relaxing. Glad to see my wife really enjoy herself too. I'd be hard pressed to remember ever having such wonderfull delicately made food, just a memorable meal by all accords. Such pleasure and fun! After it was over, the owner drove us home. :)

I have to take off soon and go kill a cherry. I am thinking about an hour with no clean up. Hike up it, rope out the three leads, maybe a chunk or two, and presto no more tree.

Dang Jay! Whutta feast!!!
168.gif

Jay, Having a meal at a 1st class restaurant is a lifetime experience.
Glad you got to try it.

Oh nothing special .I have 4 days off then back Monday for a 5 day stint of 12 hours then 3 more days off .The 5 day deal is a good shot ,all double time with 12 hours in addition for holliday pay which I'll take later as vacation .Well what the hey somebody has to do it might as well be me .:D

Oh say I did buy mama Dar a new HD camera .Kodac something or another .14 meg with HD vid .

Really not that bad ,a tad less than $150 including a big memory ,case etc .Small enough to fit in her purse and only 1/3 the price I payed for the 5MP HP camera I have which was over 500 at the time .

The way they've got it now of days you can just scan the pics you want with a card reader or e-mail them to where ever .You get a nice photo for a fraction of the price of what you could print yourself .

Now I have to get on the net and figure out how to run the damned thing .The printed users guide isn't real good but at least the stuff is available on line for dummys like me .

Knocked down 25 dead doug-fir in the 100' range in a root disease pocket in a park forest. Threading the needle between some keeper trees (until they die). Making a big mess, then leaving, me likey.

Did have one challenge where a dead one hung up in, and really bent over a live one, loading the poop out of it. Had it been another dead tree, it likely may have pushed it over. Live one was bowed, dead one still on the stump, hinge intact.

Dead one was leaning at about 60 degrees, so I faced the stump the other direction, and backcut until reasonably thin hinged, but the limbs were locked, and it didn't have the leverage to push the stump over at the lower cut. Wedged it, but double stacking wasn't enough, and three wedges don't stick. I tried, hoping that it would have enough oomph to tip it over before spitting out. No such luck. Cut it up some more, really thin hinge, until I got through the hinge on one side and the b&c was stuck, with a sliver of hinge on the far side. Took off the powerhead, and a couple of blows of the ax to the far side of the hinge released it. I was fast outta there, behind another tree in the event that the live tree catapulted limbs my way. The dead trees' butt made an 8' trench behind the stump. Got my heart rate up a bit.

4 day weekend!!

I have to kind of chuckle about sticking the saw .I once got scolded for jambing two saws in the same tree by another person on another forum who claimed he only stuck one once .I replied that maybe in a few more ice cream seasons he too would someday given enough time on the throttle .Kinda pizzed him off .:lol:

A couple weeks ago I flopped some Birch trees at my neighbor's place by my shop...a friend really. He had purchased some of my woodwork before and we know each other pretty well. He is a chef and owns a highly successful French restaurant in the large town about thirty minutes away. In lieu of not accepting any payment for the tree work, he invited me and my wife to his restaurant for a meal. Tonight we went. I had never been, in part because it is rather expensive, but also just never got around to fulfilling the desire to go. I figured that he'd be popping some corks, so we took the train into town and then rode the bus to close to his place. Arrived a bit early, so went for a walk, it's a very nice part of the town. Some champagne like wine to start with, then some red Bordeaux that was like drinking some exotic creatures blood, I mean it was very deep...along with an incredible dinner comprised of fish in a cream sauce and steak, along with a number of different dishes all very delicious. I mean every bite was like a firework leading up the the grand finale, just an incredible meal...food as an art. Finished off with some expressos and desert made from some raspberry mousse thing over a wonderfully tasty crisp pastry. I could have fallen over backwards in my chair then and there and died a happy man. The owners daughter attending our needs was wonderfully charming to go along with it. Nice place, very cosy and relaxing. Glad to see my wife really enjoy herself too. I'd be hard pressed to remember ever having such wonderfull delicately made food, just a memorable meal by all accords. Such pleasure and fun! After it was over, the owner drove us home. :)

That really just put a smile on my face Jay. Thanks :) Good to hear you and the Mrs. had a wonderful evening :)

My wife called me this morning, saying that the freight truck delivering 2 drums of alkylate fuel had ventured outside the driveway and got stuck.
They had to bring a towtruck in to unstick it.
This is what the lawn looked like afterwards.

P1010351.JPG

So I called the trucking company to ask what they were going to do about my lawn and the guy immediately started out like" I guess the conditions for making the delivery wasn't in order" like it was my problem the truck got stuck.

So I told him, before we start using that tone, maybe we should look at the fact that I have had drums delivered to this adress for over 10 years and nobody has ever got their truck stuck before.

He beat the current olympic record for backpaddling after that.

I don't get it.
If I frig up removing a tree and cause damage, I go right up to the client and explain how I plan to repair it.

That usually leaves the client with a favourable impression of my company.

This guy was on the defensive from the moment I started talking to him.
It is not going to do him any good if I tell the danish Stihl agency that his trucks are no loonger welcome on my company's property.
We are in a recession.
How does a guy like that plan to stay in business?

How does a guy like that get a license? :? It doesn't look like that hard a drive to back into, to me.

Was it a full length 53' semi truck? I mean your driveway is only about 12-14' wide, the poor guy could barely squeeze his 8' wide truck in that little tiny cart path.

Her excuse was: " It was dark"

It quite often is, this time of the year ( sunup 8.39 AM, sundown 3.35 PM)

It is not the getting stuck I don't get. we can all screw up. It is the attitude of her boss.

Anyway, it is 1.35 PM here, so I'll go to bed.

See y'all tomorrow.

Back