How'd it go today?

We used to call them spud wrenches, but I think it is a wrong term.
Sometimes I have to use a pair of channel locks to turn the linesman with ....

Had a date with my nemesis tree today and should have it wrapped up within a 1/2 day tomorrow. Dang big English walnut mostly dead. Tops are spooky dead and hollow. Rigging those all out. Gaffed out once today (right after I sharpened them) and stuck my other foot. Yesterday a limb whipped around the tree and tagged me. This thing is fighting me to not kill it. Twiggy bugger grabbing anything it can hanging on you. My ground help helped me lose an oil cap off my 044 all over my gear at height.... Oh yeah...
HO helping with the clean up and constantly in my drop zone.
Lady of the house fixed lunch again, some enchiladas and German chocolate cake. Lot of history surrounding the house, tree and land.
So it was not all bad.... especially using the Wraptor to get me up repeatedly. Set rigging, drop the tops, chunk some wood, flop some nuggs and get up the next leader. Sure saved me a but load of aggravation and time :D

It's funny how some trees fight you every step of the way, while others just roll over and let you have your way with them.

I might be tempted to make some sort of misogynistic analogy, but I'm smarter than that :D.

I had one fight with me, yesterday. I won the battle! It was messing with me every chance it got, including with me locking myself outta my truck at the beginning of the climb. Forty bucks later (whutta gig!) I was headed up the tree.

I've had a few that wouldn't unscrew Dennis, just had to get under it with a sawzall, fine blade, and go slow. Either they come out easy or they don't come out, doesn't seem to be much in between!

Went to Mom and Dad's to finish up the stumps on the huge Maples. Got one down as low as I could, going to have to take the tractor to get the last round off the stump, it's to heavy to move otherwise.
Stumped off the second one easy enough.
Third was a spar still 20ft high, I reached up and made the face, about 8ft. high, from the ground with the 046. I saw the Dutchman, I knew it was there, but just didn't have the umph to want to reach up again to clean up the face. Sure enough it set on the Dutchman and stayed. Finally got a 6ft long bar and pushed it over. Just stupid and being tiered and lazy. No excuse for that!
I got the third one down most of the way but I was shaking on the last cut and it took all I had to hold the saw to get the cut started, it was time to quit!
Two of these stumps I had to cut from three sides with the 32" bar to get through, big slabs! I HATE stumping Maple. Root flair makes them twice as large as they are and it's a bear to dog in with all the flair!
I'll finish another day, just two more cuts to make.
I'm hoping the Husky 562xp turns out to be all that it's made out to be, I think the 046 saw it's last job with me running it!

Another day at the condo's, getting nagged by the elderly. Gotta love it. Waiting for Ashly to pick me up to look at couches, woo hoo!

Waiting for FedEx to come and drop off my treestuff order. Some misc odds and ends to throw in the truck.

I would say here are some before and after pic's, but I guess they are really just some before and in the middle pic's.

Andy, don't be hexing my drain removal project. Think positive.

Bathroom 2011-11-26 001.jpg

Bathroom 2011-12-07 001.jpg

Kitchen 2011-12-07 001.jpg

Kitchen 2011-12-07 003.jpg

Looks nice Dennis. I used to also do like Andy if they get stubborn... Only I just cut a hacksaw blade in half and wrapped duct tape around one end as a handle.

Finished my nemesis tree today in a couple hours and had lunch with the HO's again. More saw issues today on top of two days prior. Finished with the 066 and called it. I had an estimate to do anyway on the way home and dinner to make for the kiddos.
I'll see about posting some pics later when I get them off the camera. Got paid... Rest of the day went as planned. Two days of storm damage trees and thinning starting tomorrow. Best I get some day to rest up a tad.

Lets see what did I do today.... Oh, I pulled over a 42" cottonwood that was every bit of 80 feet and it made the nicest crunch I have heard in awhile..... roped down another cotton and that was going well until the chipper stared pissing hydro fluid on the custies driveway but the guy was cool and said "no worries" God bless him..... tipped a oak with no clean up and called it a day by noon.

ive been sick since monday:(. havent really been out of bed for 2 days, this sucks. this bug has been going around, four of the guys at work have had it and my wife had it for more than a week. i think im on the mend tho, and im hoping i can go back to work on light duty by fri (fingers crossed).

We've been working all week at the yard cutting/splitting firewood. started off monday by getting a new 35 ton splitter only to have it break down yesterday (F!). My 28 is getting one hell of a work out!

monday we cut/split/stacked 7 ricks, dont know how much since cause we havent stacked it yet, its in 3 large piles. the plan for tomorrow is the same, hope to finish out the section we are working on and then get it all stacked up. There's not much left so it should work out.

ive been sick since monday:(. havent really been out of bed for 2 days, this sucks. this bug has been going around, four of the guys at work have had it and my wife had it for more than a week. i think im on the mend tho, and im hoping i can go back to work on light duty by fri (fingers crossed).
oops, i just found out its thursday. i thought it was wednesday :|:. i guess ive got the whole weekend to recover.

We got blown right out of the forest today, again.
Only a minor storm, like last week, but you won't catch me trying to fall mature beech trees in any kind of storm, be it ever so minor. Sure way to ruin good logs or get killed.

So we decided to give the shop a work over.
Put a new shelf in and got everything in order.
This is only the stuff we keep at my place, Richard has a bunch at home as well.
In a week or two it'll be back to it's usual messy standard, I fear.
I am messy by nature. I've fought it tooth and claw all my life, and finally just given up:)

P1010263.JPG P1010268.JPG

Back