How'd it go today?

Thanks man. Drove till about 11:30 last night, then called it a night. Somewhere in CT now, been at it since about 7:30 this morning. Saw a lot of storm damage on the way up on the interstate. Have also seen a lot of power companies heading up this way. Have some pics a big convoys of them. Some awesome sights last night and today.

We finished cutting half dead ash trees today.
Scary stuff, when the understory is so thick one can't see the tops of the ashtrees.
We are having an unusually warm fall ( 62 degrees faherenheit today!!) so the trees haven't lost their leaves.
We did a lot of cut'n run falling where you get the hell out of Dodge as soon as the tree starts to move and don't go back untill all the dead branches and other shit has fallen from above.
Richard did get hit by a falling brach just as he bent down to start a facecut on another tree. Not seriously, though, but it still scares the crap out of you.
Tomorrow we move into some fine size fir trees that are going all the way to China.

slept in a bit, no work firmly booked but could do a yard cleanup for a regular client. The sun is out, the temp is about 8C and I am deciding whether or not to get costumed up for work or to wait till the kid gets home for trick or treating later.

Awoke to my first day of vacation, confirmed some work for later in the week.
As well as secured another 2 pine removal jobs for next week.

Can't seem to stop/ or slow the ArborMD machine.

We finished cutting half dead ash trees today.
Scary stuff, when the understory is so thick one can't see the tops of the ashtrees.
I know exactly how that is ,it's what I had to put up with this summer .

You have no idea if you cut it loose if it will snag another and bring down a big limb to drive you into the ground .I did mark a few and it might be a good idea because it's a nasty day today anyway to mark the rest .Well not nasty just wet and gloomy .

--and thus as I typed the sun peeked through ---

Well I did mark 8 more in my own woods and didn't get into the one beside me the old lady said I could take any dead ones

This late in the year I'll probabley get to my own but let it freeze up first if I try to get hers rather than rut up the woods .I'll probabley just get the ones I've already marked because the bark on a young walnut is pretty much like an ash and I don't really want to steal a potentially good lumber tree .Walnuts like hickorys drop their leaves early in the fall season .

ok, off to get the Halloween getup on so I can take Spiderman around to collect his bounty of candy and treats.

No gennie Erik? We have been eyeballing the 2000 and 3000W Honda inverters for a few months for the camper, would be a good stop gap for the house in a pinch too. Couple grand for the larger unit though.

No, but ordered one Saturday. Won't help this time, but...

12kW. Enough to run the whole house.

I have a 15kw pto for my house, and we have a 25kw for the barn. I'm working on getting a 30kw 1/3 phase propane for the barn so my mother can just pull the transfer switch and fire it up to milk without having to get a tractor and the pto generator set up.

Dave, the EU ones, we had a 1000 on our last trip as a loaner, good for charging the batteries back up but not strong enough for much else.
Erik, that sounds like a hella unit but not overly quiet or portable, which is likely not a big concern for a home emergency power supply.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/for/2671398004.html
EU3000is.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ejdm4Yzdsas" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deva I'm heading back to NorCal next week let me know if you need any help. Be cool to get to meet up this time, I'm hoping to check out some chippers in Marin and then up to Oakland to look at a dump truck.

jp:D

Sounds good.
Weren't you just looking for Truck and Chipper.
Oakland is the place for trucks. I'm looking for something like Darin's.
If you still have my number call me, when you're around.

To all the NE's with weather, Sorry to hear about the craziness, hope it doesn't snow for too long.

The 15kw for my house is on a trailer right now, but I'm going to bolt it to the floor in my garage and put some sort of portal in the end of the building that I can stick the shaft through when I need it. Also thinking of putting in some sort of chain drive system so I can run the tractor at a lower rpm. My Kubota is 37.5 net pto hp, it doesn't need to run at 2600 rpms for hours.

In my collection of junk I have a 20 KVA Onin .Old signal corps generator that looks like a small locomotive .I'd hate to dump gas in that thing running full capacity .

I've got a 5KV at the house which I should fire up just to make certain it runs in case we get a mess of ice or snow this winter and be in the same soup as the NE states .That would suck .

Back