How'd it go today?

Snakes I got no problem with but I hate hitting a baby rabbit with the mower .Going through a 6 foot flail they really don't know what hit them though .

Got it, gut it. I think I picked that up from Stig. Somewhere in the House. Thanks for the advice. I'll take all I can get to make things easier.

The jobs is really good. Unfortunately, I left my camera in the hotel room today, so I will have to get the pics from the work camera to the computer sometime.

We RoShamBo'ed for the big sitka spruce with, I think from the broken up mushrooms at the base, p. schweinitzii. About 4' diameter at head high. Duane got the big shell of a cedar. Knocked down a few snags, and saw some views before moving to another Park for some more dead and dying trees. Tomorrow, we will do some view pruning at Deception Pass bridge, knock down a dead alder, then head home.

Gonna knock down some dead madronas and stock the woodshed. Winchable distance to the driveway!

A few days ago, Mom called about her television - it was dead. Short story is... after I unplugged it and plugged it back in - it worked fine. She just called, same problem. No picture, no sound, nothing.

I'm going to her house now to see if unplugging it will once again fix it.

Any idea what might be wrong with it? I told her on the phone it's time to go t.v. shopping.

Stormy last night and today, tornados all around. No damage here at home, just no power from about 4:00 AM til about 2:00 PM today. Went and cut a chinaberry with a cracked lead hanging over a guy's house. On the way home, my wife called to say a former customer called with a tree on her house. Went by and got that off and witnessed a buncha damage in the neighborhood....been a while since I saw that many trees down in one area.

Long day but nice. pair of nice sized oaks cleaned of the dead and a few leads over the neighbors. removed ten planted live oaks all very nice trees, properly spaced:cry: all for a fence. Tree spade now on my bucket list. Removed a large dead limb on the way home prolonging the ticket girl got for backing one ton into a new titan:X

Today went well, maintenance work in the morning went faster than expected, residential job went smooth, left me room to go pick up my bike from the shop and do some Ebay surfing to boot! :/:

Felled some little cottonwoods, had 3 loads of chips dumped on site by noon! Then helped the fellas clean up before heading to another job where we craned out a little siberian elm, and finished bucking the logs of some bigger ones we had removed last week. We had a new guy on site for the cottonwood job today, with some considerable forestry experience. I let him fall all the easy ones, and noted that his skill was high, so I let him continue and he dropped all the rest. We had to put a pull line on some, but they all came over well. His undercuts were good, and I could tell he'd been around the block a few times as he backut and wedged the backleaners prior to facing them out and boring in front of the wedge to set the hinge. Greenhorns don't generally do shat like that. He has a good work ethic and sense of humour, one of the good ones. Its like one in about ten that seem to work out like that, however.

Weather wise though, it was another beautiful day in the Okanagan!

Bit the bullet and order the Certified Arborist Study Guide today, along with a Pinto Pulley from TreeStuff. Have to study up and take the test and pass hopefully before the end of June. I want to get it done before my road trip.

Good for you, you'll be so far ahead of the game with your Arborist Certification at your age.

Today was just another day of tree work, trims, removals, cabling etc. The one bit that stood out for me was a small aspen removal. The tree was weakly rooted and I thought if we left the stump high we might be able, with a few choice swings of a pulaski, to push it over and pull out the stump. My guy Mike is a weight lifter body builder type guy and I half jokingly told him to treat it like a lineman's sled in football. He took it to heart and tackled that stump all the way to the ground. I wish I had a camera. I just meant for him to push it not drive it all the way into the dirt.

Bit the bullet and order the Certified Arborist Study Guide today, along with a Pinto Pulley from TreeStuff. Have to study up and take the test and pass hopefully before the end of June. I want to get it done before my road trip.

Kiddo, I don't think you can take the test till you are 21. I believe you have to have 3 years of experience and the experience does not count till you are legally allowed to work in this industry. In order to legally work in this industry you have to be 18.

Kiddo, I don't think you can take the test till you are 21. I believe you have to have 3 years of experience and the experience does not count till you are legally allowed to work in this industry. In order to legally work in this industry you have to be 18.

? It didn't stop them when I got mine. They went by verifiable experience nothing about age.

I had a scheduled day off today so I was able to spend about 7 hours working on the truck and taking care of errands. I started off by making a dump run, had a load of wood from last weekend in the big trailer. Then home to change the oil, grease the chassis, replace the AC controller and fan motor and patch the fan housing where the old fan had chewed through the side (I cut a patch out of a 10 gallon plant container). I also replaced the bucket with the newer one that I broke and had patched a few months ago. While I had it off I was able to address a couple small hydraulic issues and leaks.

It was hot today, I was about whipped by the time I took the truck back to storage about 3:30. Had time to collect one more check before hitting the bank and then the auto parts store to drop off the used oil. I never even stopped for lunch today. Glad to get caught up on some truck maintenance though. Next week I'll clean saws. :roll:

It was a beautiful, cool day here - I ain't even cranked the AC! I retrimmed two live oaks that I trimmed about four years ago: you couldn't even tell that it had ever been trimmed the first time! You can tell now! Three easy hours.

Good on you, Brian, for keeping your gear well maintained, it seems like you are always attending to one thing or another. Bound to serve you well in the long run.

Cleaning saws.....do you have a compressor to blow out the crud? I do it onto the road that runs by my shop, helps keep the asphalt oiled up. :D Not sure that the mailman likes the lubrication on the mailbox, though.

Back