How'd it go today?

Wallowed around in the bottom of a muddy ditch for two hours jacking open a 18 inch cmp that some clown drove his pickup on top of, squashed it completely closed :whine:...not my favorite activity :|:.

Cold rain & wind off and on all day. Stuck it out and had a marginal day, only filled the truck with chips once.

Didn't really rain here...just threatened all day. Reloaded shells, swapped scopes, sighted in three rifles. Left at 3:30 to go take down a sweet gum that I bid on yesterday. It started raining as soon as I started up the tree. Made it back home by 4:45. Not much, but it helps pay the bills.

Felled medium sized beech trees in the woods all day.

Nice crisp fall day, nary a cloud and no wind either.

Good to be reminded why I chose this profession:)

I can totally relate..
Finally feels like fall and is perfect working weather. Little breeze here, but real nice. Just cool enough for a long sleeve shirt.
The job changed a bit today from the original plan. But all hourly so no biggie. Just had to climb a dead cracked live oak to take it off a well shack/pump house. Then lifted and cleaned up the other oak I thought I was going to remove... Then drop a few and clean them up. Brushed out a small grove of trees and called it a day after a great lunch at one of our little diner type places... Same one we went to Stig the day you were here. :)
Came home to a check and getting one tomorrow... I am taking down two more trees (live oaks) and lifting one over a pond (water oak) at the same place we worked today :D

It's nice. You can sure feel the difference between wax and w/o wax.

The driver's side of the car looked like it got hit with ultra high velocity (small splatter)tar spray, chit was everywhere. Couldn't see it standing 5 feet from the car. I didn't do the hood/front bumper since there's body work to be did.

I'm going to wash/wax it again tomorrow, weather permitting, then on to detailing the innards.

No work today, been raining nonstop since last night. Lounged around half naked drinking coffee in the AM, went grocery shopping, made a beef roast in the slow cooker, and had a 3 hour nap. Just had dinner (yummy), and now watching Hell's Kitchen, and about to watch my NHL team open their home season in about 20 minutes. Im stoked, Hockey season is here. You southerners wouldnt understand.

Today started fine. Out to the Bristol Community Health Care Center. Put Blocking in the exam rooms for the cabinets then the bathrooms for all the handicap accessories. Then we threw up about 50 sheets of sheetrock. Nice easy day. But then it was off to the Dentist. In the chair for 2 1/2 hours. 2 crowns 1 filling and that is just the beginning. There will me more to follow. What a way to end a nice day:cry:

I just found a 20 some left in an ATM.

Care to guess who's buying the first round tonight?:lol:
Sweet deal for sure!

Finally got the water lines moved and tied in the vent pipe, what a frigging mess! Then this wonderful new CPVC glue you can't pressure it up for two hours? I hope it holds because tomorrow I am under another house repairing termite damaged floor joists:cry:
Finally got a cal from my doctors office, Doc. wants an MRI (I think we ALL knew that already:?) and they told me to call and schedule it, even gave me the number. OK, so I call to schedule it, they don't have the paper work yet so they can't a time set, or anything else:X
Finally got it set for Thursday, they ask two questions, "Do you have any metal plates or screws in you?" Nope! "Are you claustrophobic?" VERY!! She typed for quite a while after that, sounds like fun huh?:lol:

Go home for a few days

I had to send one of my best climbers home today for three days with no pay. He was removing a Eucalyptus sideroxylon (red iron bark) about 70' and 26"dbh in a tight drop zone next to a perimeter wall made of decorative concrete next to his foreman doing the same. His foreman is cutting 12" chucks and landing them, while the other is thinking to outbest his foreman decides to land a stem 15' long in a tiny drop zone. Good-bye 5' of wall. Expensive I am sure and will find out in the morning, and this is his 3rd act. He try's to hard to be fast- and he is- but I want him to stay at home and think. He may get mad, but, the foreman is even more mad and said it is unfair. He said Phillip may not come back and I said he is a grown man. No worries. I have hundreds of applications. But it was just an accident!, He said, No it was not and I will talk to you on Monday. OK, So, I guess I will finish this on Monday.

Yup Andy, they slide you in a giant tube where you can't even raise your hands off your chest. The tube extends several inches past the top of your head, then the noise starts. Kinda like being in an airplane bulkhead for 45 minutes, except you can't move.

There's a newer type of MRI machine that they call an 'open' MRI, you may want to ask about that and see if you can go someplace that has one of those newer machines.

The Utility I work for has had us doing favors for a local high school. A few big cottonwood removals but mostly we have been cleaning dead out a bunch40 of so ft siberian elms.

We are fish out of the water with no lines around.

I hope the tree gods will remember our good work when we go back to line maintenance next week.

We did our hotel job shaping a bunch of scrub oaks. My guy was in the boom all day. I did some running around and then helped them the rest of the day. This job is repetitious as all hell.

That's frustrating Jeff. I use my parenting class technique, "hmm, I see that you have broken the wall. What is your plan for resolving this situation?" You've sent him home and are taking responsibility for his actions. Don't let them off like that, keep him engaged in fixing what he has broken or arranging to have it fixed and following through with the client. Right now he's home pissed off at you when he should be disappointed with himself and working to fix his mistake.

Today was pretty quick and easy. I took down a dead poplar and side trimmed some pines. I bid two jobs, found out that I was high on both bids and was asked to match or beat the low bids. I resisted both times but wonder if I should be bidding a little lower as my dance card isn't exactly full right now.

Jeff....3 days off doesn't sound too bad for a mistake like that. I am a firm believer that taking too big of a piece and being in a hurry are the
biggest cause of accidents/injuries/property damage.
There are more than one reason they call them "money cuts".

Dave

That's frustrating Jeff. I use my parenting class technique, "hmm, I see that you have broken the wall. What is your plan for resolving this situation?" You've sent him home and are taking responsibility for his actions. Don't let them off like that, keep him engaged in fixing what he has broken or arranging to have it fixed and following through with the client. Right now he's home pissed off at you when he should be disappointed with himself and working to fix his mistake.

I wish I could Darin, He even offered to have a guy he knows to come and fix it at his expense. The problem is that it is a high-end HOA and they have their own contractors. The company that built the wall will be repairing the wall and I am sure it will cost plenty. He is really a guy I want to keep and I let him know it- I just want him to think that sometimes you need to not worry about how fast you are and trust that I am cool with you being careful because it is bid in. I just cannot get over the fact that he said "it was just an accident". Come Monday, he will be back, I bet.

Jeff....3 days off doesn't sound too bad for a mistake like that. I am a firm believer that taking too big of a piece and being in a hurry are the
biggest cause of accidents/injuries/property damage.
There are more than one reason they call them "money cuts".

Dave

Right Dave, The client does not say Phillip did it, Urban Tree Care did it. We did it.

I've given guys days off like that several times Jeff. Sometimes thinking about things at home while others are working can improve a guys approach to their job.
I wouldn't call it an accident either. Mistake or miscalculation maybe as it was a "decision driven" occurrence.

Back