How'd it go today?

Pressure washer and a shop vac, you would be amazed at how well it works :lol: especially for trenching in something narrow, because the hole only has to be wide enough for the shopvac hose so it can suck the spoil away. You'll need other dirt to backfill with tho, unless you wanna wait till it dries. I'll never dig another post hole by hand as long as i live after learning that trick, i tried it a few years ago on a job for family planting flowers and doing brick edging where gas, power, and the sprinkler system was, hand digging was all but certain to hit something. It not only worked amazingly well, especially as you get deeper where a hand dug hole would be much wider, but is almost effortless work compared to humping a shovel, and is safer since you can't damage anything.

I changed the oil in the wife's car, climbed up in the attic and did the house air filter, and bought a rolling toolbox set for my gear at work to make my life a bit easier. Planning on adding either a couple large diameter wheels (20" or so) or the tri wheel type to make stairs easy, and I'll be able to lock it all up without going to a different gang box to fit my stuff in where it won't get crushed, since i now have my own lockable mini box with me wherever i go. It'll be nice to easily move all my stuff when i go to different jobsites, we often have a long walk in so this is actually worth it. I've been using a foldable dolly for a few years now but it's a nightmare trying to make it all ride on it nicely, now the tower all locks together so it's much nicer to move, and i have a ton more space for stuff now. It's a cheaper version which will suit me just fine, and now all my gear including my hood will be sealed in a water and dust proof hard case, no biggie if it's left in a truck bed or outside overnight. Simple thing but I'm really stoked about it :lol:

Pressure washer and a shop vac, you would be amazed at how well it works :lol: especially for trenching in something narrow, because the hole only has to be wide enough for the shopvac hose so it can suck the spoil away. You'll need other dirt to backfill with tho, unless you wanna wait till it dries. I'll never dig another post hole by hand as long as i live after learning that trick, i tried it a few years ago on a job for family planting flowers and doing brick edging where gas, power, and the sprinkler system was, hand digging was all but certain to hit something. It not only worked amazingly well, especially as you get deeper where a hand dug hole would be much wider, but is almost effortless work compared to humping a shovel, and is safer since you can't damage anything.

I changed the oil in the wife's car, climbed up in the attic and did the house air filter, and bought a rolling toolbox set for my gear at work to make my life a bit easier. Planning on adding either a couple large diameter wheels (20" or so) or the tri wheel type to make stairs easy, and I'll be able to lock it all up without going to a different gang box to fit my stuff in where it won't get crushed, since i now have my own lockable mini box with me wherever i go. It'll be nice to easily move all my stuff when i go to different jobsites, we often have a long walk in so this is actually worth it. I've been using a foldable dolly for a few years now but it's a nightmare trying to make it all ride on it nicely, now the tower all locks together so it's much nicer to move, and i have a ton more space for stuff now. It's a cheaper version which will suit me just fine, and now all my gear including my hood will be sealed in a water and dust proof hard case, no biggie if it's left in a truck bed or outside overnight. Simple thing but I'm really stoked about it :lol:
Pressure washer I would doubt to be effective in hard pan. Wont even perk. Mixed with rock. Like concrete. Took a small jack hammer to dig through it for our foundation. Might work in clay though

If it's dirt I'll work great, the only thing that slows it down is solid rock. Around here at least hardpan is compressed clay and dirt that's dried out, add some water and force the dirt to move with a few thousand psi and its no longer hardpan. Try it next time, you might be hand digging less in the future. The trick is to go down deep and then undercut the sides so they fall into your suck pit, basically use gravity to do the work for you and that way you'll get more dirt for the amount of water. The spoil is obviously mixed with water so you're dumping mud and water, but it's all still there, and would likely dry out pretty quick where you're at if you dumped it and spread it out. It's amazing how well it works, even on a small scale with a shop vac, and you can get away with a super skinny trench a lot of the time so there's far less to dig. Working pipeline I ran a trailer mounted one (ditch witch i believe) that was awesome, not as quick as a big truck mounted one but wayyyyyy faster than a few guys could dig by hand, it would daylight utilities and dig stuff that normally would be done by hand far easier and quicker than shovels could. We usually hand dug the service hole for the gas meter because you needed the fill there and enough room to work, but if you have avaliable fill or can wait it's the way to go. Another cool trick we would do is backfill something with sand and when we needed it open again the truck could suck it out with little to no water needed, handy for opening a road but not needing to dig it all over again.

Okay, not the most scenic pictures from me but that's okay. We transferred a couple of 4 wheelers to Zarembo Island today and did some weed whacking around our St Johns field camp. Always nice to get out on the nice days.
IMG_20240618_105344_MP.jpg IMG_20240618_145438_MP.jpg

Fortunately the crew handled the weed whacking ... very over that now. I just raked piles. Lots of Indian Celery, so we had to be careful.

Food poisoning. Both ends going, fever, sweating, shivering almost to the point of convulsions. Fever has broken, the dual flow has stopped(?) Feel much better, but not ready for work, unfortunately. Nausea of fairly epic proportions, much bubbling and gurgling, the ick isn't over yet.

This is no way to get my truck fixed and move forward, I'm all but chained down! Every day counts!

Ugh I feel like dog crap, hammered flat, but this too shall pass.

Hope you get through it quick Kavey.

Me, been having ups and downs. More
ups tomorrow before I come down.
I think this one will come out at about 13 hrs billable counting a little crown raising and strm clean up.. 85 feet high. Heck of a spread. Blue oak. Virgin, never pruned. Hazard dead. I am taking 1/2 plus in places just to make it look nicer.
Needed two climb lines set to get out to some places.
No befores. But just nice pics of the tree. Only have one lead and large limb to clean up tomorrow. 20240619_134113.jpg 20240619_134130.jpg 20240619_134222.jpg

I’m sorry Kavey. I know what the near convulsions are like and they are probably the worst symptoms I’ve experienced. I’m sorry you have to go through that.

Some milling of a white oak we took down in March.We made the slabs with a chainsaw mill back then and the beams on the woodmizer this afternoon.
Still need decent stacking 20240619_155710.jpg

Attachments

• 20240329_183452.jpg
    20240329_183452.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240321_145334.jpg
    20240321_145334.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back